Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TCC issuse after converter install on G8

Default TCC issuse after converter install on G8

I have a 09' G8 GT and last week I installed a 2800 stall Vigilante Converter. After the install i took the car out for a drive and shortly into the drive I got a P0741 code for the TCC. I cleared the code and it came back after about 5 miles. I borrowed a Tech 2 from a dealership riend of mine and we went for a drive and watched the TCC it would send the siginal to activate the TCC but the transmission was showing between 300-500 of slip. The computer will only allow up to 125 rpm of slip before setting the code.

Has anyone had this issue before? Is there a way to tune for it?

Thanks

what are ur tcc lockup pressure ramp settings?

i'd also check to make sure you have put enough fluid back in the box after changing the convertor.

That is a good question as to the amount of fluid in the converter. I have a 2800 and no problems.
    98 tigershark
    98 tigershark
    L92/427 w/L76 CC'ed heads n upgraded springs
    4.100 stroke, 4.068 bore w/ 11:1 comp
    Cam, 591 int, 613exhst, 232-246dur@.050, 115*
    LG headers, High flow cats,
    RPM level 5 trans, RPM 3.42 gears, 2800 rpm trq convrt. .
    Special Thanx to Joe and Bruce!

Quote Originally Posted by 98 tigershark View Post
    That is a good question as to the amount of fluid in the converter. I have a 2800 and no problems.
    98 tigershark
    G8's have a completly differnt trans and trans settings. They also have a more limited amount of tables in the tune and some people have ran into problems with some torque convertors.

Default That is a nice car, What model do you have?

I like those, they are way cool. What kind of tranny do they have? The 6 speed auto, I am sure(the hydromatic 6L80. They are rear wheel drive also with a different traction sustem. My wife's 06 Monte Carlo SS has a different tranny altogether too and the DOD or the active fuel management (really the same thing, really messes with the tranny and TRQ Converter pressures with that application. It doe not hold on grade unless I really up the line pressure which I have done. It also would variably kick in at the very worst time. GM had a tech bulletin out on the tranny and the Trq Convert not holding grade. The trq Converter slipping prior to engaging broke the motor mounts and broke the tranny. GM replace the tranny and Motor mounts but never solved that problem. It continued until I increased the line pressure/RPMs and upped the idle and opened the IAC/etc up a bit I feel it is dangerous. The G8 Does have DOD right even though in Au they have all but gotten ride of that with The G8 GT is powered by a uniquely configured 6.0L small-block V-8, rated at 362 horsepower (270 kW) and 391 lb.-ft. of torque (530 Nm). A six-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode is standard and features the fuel-saving Active Fuel Management system, which enhances fuel economy by alternating between eight- and four-cylinder power. An optional six-speed manual transmission will be available soon after launch.?
    WOW a 2800 in a car with DOD (active fuel management) if that is the case?
    The G8 is a great car and well engineered and I would be proud to have on in my stall. I think but the fuel economy aspects do make it difficult to alter the drive train however in a reliable fashion. I am surprised that Vigilante even had the correct type of Trq converter for such a new platform so good job even getting one. I bet the car handles great with the Mcpherson struts and all. Anyway the active fuel Mngmnt (DOD) is hard to work with for performance and the tranny. Can it be disabled?
    Thanks,
    98 tigershark
    Last edited by 98 tigershark; September 3rd, 2009 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Forgot Something
    98 tigershark

Lifetime Member

The G8 is a great car and well engineered and I would be proud to have on in my stall. I think but the fuel economy aspects do make it difficult to alter the drive train however in a reliable fashion. I am surprised that Vigilante even had the correct type of Trq converter for such a new platform so good job even getting one. I bet the car handles great with the Mcpherson struts and all. Anyway the active fuel Mngmnt (DOD) is hard to work with for performance and the tranny. Can it be disabled?
    Thanks,
    98 tigershark
    Hey TS, yes the G8 has the 6L80. All electronic control, clutch to clutch design. BMW apparently uses this trans too in some models, or did.

The G8 does handle extremely well for a heavy car. Its dynamics were benchmarked off BMW and it uses a very similar "virtual centre" control arm setup with the Mac struts. Front end grip is amazingly good. Even a V6 rental car has BMW like handling. Same design/architecture as the new Camaro.

Quite common to turn DOD off for performance apps.

And I may not have this correct, but I think I recall the Vigilante being based on the smaller Cadi ~10" convertor in the 6L80, though they now do a billet casing. Though I may have that mixed up with Circle D too. I had a couple beers last night and my head is not quite back to normal yet .

Default Do you Think.....?

Thanks gmh308,

Personally I think it is a better car than the Beamer for 1/2 the price and has a very nice stance. Do you think turning off the AFM will do it or does he have to make the adjustments I had to make on the MC SS in addition. The 10" 2800 cadi trq converter from RPM is also what I used in my vette. Mine is much lighter than the stock size performance ones not to mention a little less fluid. My motor is basically an Aussie 427 the L92, w L76 heads that I extremely worked over re-sleeved and now have a 12 degree valve angle (like the C5R heads) and the L76 manifold. The Aussie super cars are aussiesome, do any of them use the newer 6L80E tranny. I am still trying to figure out what the 308 stands for. Motor or Employee ID #?
    Thanks,
    98 tigershark
    98 tigershark

Lifetime Member

Thanks gmh308,

Personally I think it is a better car than the Beamer for 1/2 the price and has a very nice stance. Do you think turning off the AFM will do it or does he have to make the adjustments I had to make on the MC SS in addition. The 10" 2800 cadi trq converter from RPM is also what I used in my vette. Mine is much lighter than the stock size performance ones not to mention a little less fluid. My motor is basically an Aussie 427 the L92, w L76 heads that I extremely worked over re-sleeved and now have a 12 degree valve angle (like the C5R heads) and the L76 manifold. The Aussie super cars are aussiesome, do any of them use the newer 6L80E tranny. I am still trying to figure out what the 308 stands for. Motor or Employee ID #?
    Thanks,
    98 tigershark
    Yes you are right on with the value of G8 vs the Bimmer for value .

You have 12 degree heads with an L76 intake? Were the guides re-drilled at the 12 degrees vs the normal 15 deg? Far out!

With V8 super cars from memory the only thing in common with a production car is the shape/body. They have SBC Nascar motors and similar manual trans.

Which is a bone of contention as many would like to see a return to real production car racing which means the public at large can relate much more closely to what they drive day to day.

Default Drilled out and new sleeves pressed and drilled.

Hey gmh308,

That is exactly what I did. Basically a C5R head at 1/2 the price.
    12.5 degrees though. Working over the Valve seats was difficult as was the cc ing.
    As to making the cars that race more like production cars wont happen, I think.
    It might make more enthusiasts, even thought most all of the technology for economy comes from performance guys, at least I think so!
    Regarding the new trq cnvrt, mine took a little while to break in. Works great now but almost an entirely different tune.
    The 98 pcm is very simple and has draw backs but simplicity with the tranny stuff is very nice.
    98 tigershark
    Last edited by 98 tigershark; September 5th, 2009 at 03:01 PM. Reason: forgot Some thing
    98 tigershark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast