Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Say it isn't so

Default Say it isn't so

This confirms the old saying that some people hear music and others listen to music. Sound quality
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

I think most of the "people that listen to music" think too highly of themselves.
    Some of those same people like to suggest that the best sound comes from
    only having speakers in the doors and a sub in the back.

Personally I am impressed with the quality of a lot of youtube videos
    I convert to MP3 (320kb).
    512k RoadRunner Firmware 12.14R
    FlashScan V2 Bootblock V2.07.04 Firmware V2.07.22 EFILive V7.5.7 (Build 191) V8.2.1 (Build 181)
    LC-1 WBO2

There is also the extremes, people that will spend $500 on 20ft of speaker cable because it sounds better, good luck to them if they can hear it.

It just seems funny to me knowing that some sound engineer has spent weeks perfecting the sound on a CD only to find people can't even pick the difference between mp3's encoded at 48kbs or 160kbs. Personally, 160kbs is about the bottom limit I would accept.

Also, you know the car is the worst environment for good sound reproduction, it's all about 15" subs and max dB.
    Last edited by GMPX; October 19th, 2009 at 12:13 PM.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    There is also the extremes, people that will spend $500 on 20ft of speaker cable because it sounds better, good luck to them if they can hear it..
    You do realize that $500 for an 8 foot pair is the bottom of the barrel in high end speaker cables, They go about as high as $24,000 for an 8 foot pair.

Ira

And now having read the link, it means nothing without knowing everything about the equipment and environment. Hard to tell on bad speakers driven by bad electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ira View Post
    You do realize that $500 for an 8 foot pair is the bottom of the barrel in high end speaker cables, They go about as high as $24,000 for an 8 foot pair.
    ok, that is plain stupid!
    My theory is why bother unless, every path from the output transistor(s) to the speaker connector on the back are made of the same 'quality' wire. Then there is the internal wiring in the speaker box. Why not just use some welding cable
    Now, shall we start on 300W USB powered subwoofers

I am a supporter of the quality of cables used making a difference. I have reasonable (not insane) quality cables interconnecting all hifi components, as well as good quality cables connecting all speakers.

When I first made the change the dynamic range of the "system" was improved to the extent that I could hear elements in my favourite music I had not heard before. Actually took a little while to get used to the difference.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Lifetime Member

My favorite example in my experience was changing the preamp in my then current system. Before is was a Black Widow arm with a decent cartridge on a Technics table feeding a GAS Thedra into a Hafler DH200 with Rogers LS35As for speakers. I was completely happy with the system, sounded wonderful.

I replaced the Thedra with a used Audio Research SP3, put on Terrapin Station and walked back to sit down and listen. Don't recall if I made it to the couch or not, but it was mis-tracking so badly I couldn't stand to listen. An hour later with the VTA corrected the system sounded better than ever and after replacing the Thedra as an experiment it also sounded dramatically better. I just found it interesting that two preamps with seeming similar specs of the measurable stuff would sound so different and one would almost completely hide the sound of the needle bouncing in the groove and sound good doing it.

Ira

Quote Originally Posted by Tordne View Post
    I could hear elements in my favourite music I had not heard before.
    I was not aware the The Proclaimers made such an effort on production
    I must say Andrew, I'm not sure I can pick the styles of music you would listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    I must say Andrew, I'm not sure I can pick the styles of music you would listen to.
    I'm almost scared to tell you in case you are disappointed

I think pretty varied taste. A sample... Live, Switchfoot, Lady Gaga, Black Eyed Peas, Beyonce, Linkin Park, Nickelback, Maroon 5, Jordin Sparks.

Let the harassment begin...

I'd just like to say that my favourite tune of all time is the sound of a V8!
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

My front set : http://www.magnepan.com/model_MG_16 rear: http://www.magnepan.com/model_MG_12 center: http://www.magnepan.com/model_CC3 .
    A box speaker sounds like a box , we listened to some Thiel : http://www.thielaudio.com/ which are 15k per speaker , the Maggies blew them away .
    I truly believe Vinyl through a Tube is the best .
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast