Thread: Future Hardware Suggestion

Default Future Hardware Suggestion

Ross/Paul, just a thought, for future hardware (V3, etc), maybe it would be a good idea to go back to a DB9 connector for the OBD2 cable to FS connection. The RJ45 is ok, except they tend to bread fairly easily; If you're someone that plugs and uplugs the V2 often, it can accelerate the wear. I've had to put a new end on mine four times now, and it's a MAJOR PITA compared to terminating Cat5 cable. The DB9 is just more robust.

i redid mine the other day aswell. broke the connecter off that holds the plug in.

I can appreciate what you are saying, only problem with the DB9 is the real estate it takes up.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Is there any connector that is more rugged than the RJ45 but takes up less real estate than the DB9?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar281 View Post
    Is there any connector that is more rugged than the RJ45 but takes up less real estate than the DB9?
    There are lots of really nice connectors, search Lemo for example, but both ends of an RJ 45 cost less than a pin for a Lemo connector.

Ira

Quote Originally Posted by Ira View Post
    There are lots of really nice connectors, search Lemo for example, but both ends of an RJ 45 cost less than a pin for a Lemo connector.

Ira
    Funny you mention them Ira, years ago I used Lemo connectors when I was working in the film industry. Back then they were about $35 PER PLUG! but they were very nice, however a real pain to make.
    I remember accounts would always call us, what are you guys doing ordering $3,000 worth of plugs , and that didn't even get 100 of them.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

My RJ45 broke ages ago. I wrapped some velcro strap around the cable plug and fixed some more to the body of the V2. Now I just use the velcro to hold the lead in. It works fine, though doesn't look that great....

Lifetime Member

Test equipment I use from time to time I added a short cable male on one end and female on the other so as not to where out the device port. I always leave the short one plugged in and unplug other cable to use what i need for the test. Something another guy told me one day.

Brian
    2007.5 GMT-900 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CC/LB LTZ 4x4 Summit White.
    With the LMM Duramax 365hp/660tq, MW7 Allison 1000 6-speed
    EFILive LMM DSP5 Settings, 500HP, 450HP, 400HP,Tow with Turbine Brake, and Stock HP.

UA Steamfitter, Local 136 Evansville, IN - Remember if you want to play you got to pay.