Thread: De-fueling at shift

Default De-fueling at shift

Recently I have had a few trucks 2 LLY's and 1 LBZ where I have loaded a mild tow/mileage tune (about 70 HP) and in either the 2-3 or 3-4 shift it won't shift and just hangs at WOT and stops around 3400 RPM's-- If I lift a little off the throttle it will shift--The WOT shift RPM is set to stock at 3200--Some have bigger tires and I made a speedo correction but other than that the trans is stock with the exception of raising the torque limits--I was told I need to de-fuel it near the shift point---is this correct ? And how do i do that? OR how do i make it shift at WOT ? THKS

Quote Originally Posted by tblu92 View Post
    Recently I have had a few trucks 2 LLY's and 1 LBZ where I have loaded a mild tow/mileage tune (about 70 HP) and in either the 2-3 or 3-4 shift it won't shift and just hangs at WOT and stops around 3400 RPM's-- If I lift a little off the throttle it will shift--The WOT shift RPM is set to stock at 3200--Some have bigger tires and I made a speedo correction but other than that the trans is stock with the exception of raising the torque limits--I was told I need to de-fuel it near the shift point---is this correct ? And how do i do that? OR how do i make it shift at WOT ? THKS
    How many miles on the fuel filters?...
    2007 CC/SB 4WD, McRat EFI Live, Trans, Trans Cooler and C3 clutch oiling mod by Mike L., SD Sleeves, SoCal Diesel

2002 CC/DRW 2WD, McRat EFI Live, Trans, Trans Cooler and C3 clutch oiling mod by Mike L., SoCal Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by The Neens View Post
    How many miles on the fuel filters?...
    I was going to ask the same. That's one of the big signs on my truck that the filter is junk. It hangs on to the shifts way too long. I got a bad batch of fuel that ruined probably 4 or 5 filters in around 3000 miles.

Are dirty filters usually the cause ? I have used these tunes many times before and never had a problem--I will ask them to change the filters anyway----Could it be anything else ?????

In all these cases they won't shift at all unless you lift off the throttle in those higher gears--

Quote Originally Posted by tblu92 View Post
    Are dirty filters usually the cause ? I have used these tunes many times before and never had a problem--I will ask them to change the filters anyway----Could it be anything else ?????

In all these cases they won't shift at all unless you lift off the throttle in those higher gears--
    They are often the cause...Good transmission shifts are dependent on how the engine is running...
    2007 CC/SB 4WD, McRat EFI Live, Trans, Trans Cooler and C3 clutch oiling mod by Mike L., SD Sleeves, SoCal Diesel

2002 CC/DRW 2WD, McRat EFI Live, Trans, Trans Cooler and C3 clutch oiling mod by Mike L., SoCal Diesel

My customer is coming over today--I'll recc. changing his filters and will let you know the results--

UPDATE

Had all 3 customers change their fuel filters---1 guy had just chaged them about 1000 miles ago with cheap Kragens--I had all of them buy the Wix fuel filters-- HAPPY to report that all 3 trucks now shift perfectly !!!
    Learned something about cheap filters---especially a trk with a tune---spend the extra $$ and buy good ones-- Thanks all responders for your help
    EFILIVE is # 1