Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 & Drivers

Default Windows 7 & Drivers

I just installed Windows 7 on my laptop ( I was coming from Vista). For some reason, I could not do an "upgrade" installation where Windows 7 just reloaded the OS, looked at the registry, then everything worked. I had to do a hard drive wipe and new installation of the OS, and then reinstall of all my software. It did it automatically and away I went. Don't forget that if you have to do it with the wipe and full install, you need to reload ALL your drivers.

As I was adding the software back on to the laptop, I downloaded and installed the latest version of EFILive. The drivers did not automatically install on the new platform. I had to reload them from the CD using the driver installation application. I went to Start>Control Panel>View Devices and Printers then clicked on the "Unspecified Devices" icon, it said "EFILive Flashscan V2". I selected the Hardware Tab, then clicked on Properties. On the General tab, I think I clicked on "Change Settings" and got the driver selection method screen and clicked on "Browse my computer for driver software", directed the screen to the Drivers/FlashScan/Win-2K-XP-Vista directory and clicked on Next. At that point the drivers loaded and everything seems to work. I have not had a chance to hook the laptop to my truck and verify, but the V2 gives me the standard 4 lines with the F keys, and I can open both the Tune and Scan tools without the error message that states the drivers are not loaded.

It was not too big a deal, but I wanted folks to know that the drivers did not install just by plugging in the USB cable to the laptop.

FWIW, the hassle of the new OS is worth it. I like the new OS much better than Vista.
    Black Max....

'03 2500 4x4 CC/LB; HTT SS-66/16/71, EFILive DSP-5 & tunes by McRat , II Mod CP3, PPE Lift Pump;
    RDL Uppies, Banks Intake, Exhaust;
    ATS Stage 3 w/CoPilot , by Top Jimmy Performance, Mike L Cooler;
    AeroForce Dualscan Gauges.

Win7 f'n rocks, I've been using it with EFILive since late September. I also had to point the OS to the folder with the V2 USB drivers, but after that the drivers work great both on my desktop and laptop.

Mr. P.

Lifetime Member

W7 Ultimate x64 RC here, used the public beta for a few months til the RC went live, Ill use the RC til Jan/Feb and I can get W7 from a buddy at Microsoft.

Yes you might have to do this driver dance to get it to work, this has been mentioned before with W7. Maybe in future releases it will be solved, its more of an annoyance than an issue IMO.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    Yes you might have to do this driver dance to get it to work, this has been mentioned before with W7. Maybe in future releases it will be solved, its more of an annoyance than an issue IMO.
    I agree, but when I tried searching this issue nothing came up on the board. That is why I posted.
    Black Max....

'03 2500 4x4 CC/LB; HTT SS-66/16/71, EFILive DSP-5 & tunes by McRat , II Mod CP3, PPE Lift Pump;
    RDL Uppies, Banks Intake, Exhaust;
    ATS Stage 3 w/CoPilot , by Top Jimmy Performance, Mike L Cooler;
    AeroForce Dualscan Gauges.

Lifetime Member

Ah, I saw the thread right after I posted in here a little bit ago, the thread isnt publicly available.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Where can the drivers be found? I, too, just did a clean install of Win 7 and need to download them.

There is a drivers file on the main site but it is listed as 2.02.04 not 7.5.4 or 5.

Answer:: Apparently 2.02.04 is the currentdriver file. It seems to have loaded and works. Also I complete agree about Win 7. I have been using it as a beta model for 6 months in a dual boot system on my T61. I now am using it in a single HDD in the T61 and have had no issues on drivers or peripheral equipment incompatibilities. Fast or faster than XP Pro and very cool like an update to Vista should be.

Perry
    Last edited by pkincy; November 8th, 2009 at 07:15 AM.

Whoops, hit a deal breaker.

Ver 8.1.2 can not be installed on Windows 7 x64.

Error message on setup says: "EFILive cannont be run on WinNTx"

I presume that means incompatibility with 64 bit ver of Win 7.

And without ver 8.1 my V2 is caught in the never never land between a 2.04 FW and a 2.05 BB. It takes software included in ver 8.1 to fix that.

(this I fixed by downloading 8.1 on my wife's XP box and using EFILive Explorer in that software. So V2 is working again and fully firmware upgraded).

Perry
    Last edited by pkincy; November 8th, 2009 at 10:16 AM.

Right click on the install file and chose 'Properties', then change to the 'Compatability' tab and set compatability mode to Vista SP2. Then the install will work.

Alternatively download the version 8 pre-release where the installer natively supports Windows 7. Here is a link to the thread: http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=12014
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Thank you.

I figured it out. Not as well as you did, but did go to compatibility and installed it in XP sp 3 mode.

Seems to be working but the data may be in the wrong place. My mind is too tired to check right now. <g>

Perry
    Last edited by pkincy; November 8th, 2009 at 06:36 PM.

Im just finishing off a reload of XP-SP3 from windows 7. efilive kept loosing dash layouts and configs under 7 and was giving me the shits.

At least i know XP works perfectly and with a Solid state hard drive in it now, windows is booted in 10 seconds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast