Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: im lost!!! 4l60e help

Default im lost!!! 4l60e help

i just put in a tci 3000 stall, torque 2 cam, with full bolts ons! go to take it for a spin and the thing shifts sluggish, revs to like 6000 grand and am barely moving, acts like a manual with a bad clutch! fluid level is right on and not burnt! when it does this the tranny temps increase weird because i have a tranny cooler! the coolant temp increases too when it feels like its slipping than goes right back down when i let off of it idk where to start? ive been reading up on tuning the 4l60e but cant find a good step by step any help will be paid with appreciation and beer lol!

When you rev to 6000 the car barely moves...?

Did you install the stall converter correctly (3 engagements: input shaft spline, stator support spline, pump drive notches)...?

When you inserted the TC into the front of the trans, the TC bolt pads should have been about 1.125" deeper than the bell housing engine surface... did you check this...?

Increasing trans fluid temperature indicates one or both of these:
    - stall converter is slipping more than it should (generates heat);
    - clutches/band are slipping (generates heat);

You might want to attach a pressure gauge to the line pressure tap and see what is says.

Is your external trans cooler inline with the trans cooler internal to the radiator...?

You have one or more physical problems... without any tuning the stall converter should still work fine.

When you put the cam in, did you get a tune...?

Post your tune file.

the trans cooler is not inline with the radiator it is seperate the T/C is installed correctly had to pull it forward about an inch to start the bolts and it dropped three times! ive put in plenty of convertors being a tech but ill take the bolts out and check again! its not kicking any slipping codes! the tune is a solid base line tune its not perfect due to not being able to drive it but afr's are in the green and the ve table is pretty close so far! i can tune a six speed like its going out of style but this auto shit is pissing me off! sorry to bother you joe youve helped me out over the years more than anyone seriously i need to send you some brew!!!!!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Try setting these back to stock:

{B1201} Abuse Management (in Gear) Upper RPM Threshold, changed from "2000" to "7000".
    {B1202} Abuse Management (in Gear) Lower RPM Threshold, changed from "1500" to "7000".
    {B1203} Abuse Management (in P/N) Upper RPM Threshold, changed from "2000" to "7000".
    {B1204} Abuse Management (in P/N) Lower RPM Threshold, changed from "1500" to "7000".
    {B1205} Abuse Management TPS Upper Threshold, changed from "5" to "100".
    {B1206} Abuse Management TPS Lower Threshold, changed from "3" to "99".
    {B1207} Abuse Management Vehicle Speed Threshold, changed from "410" to "0".
    {B1209} Abuse Management Time, modified.

Abuse management is for protecting the drivetrain when you drop the trans into gear while the engine is spinning too quick.

is ok that i dont have the trans cooler hooked up to the radiator?

Lifetime Member

Sounds like your converter was made for an engine with a mid plate or the flywheel is on backwards, this is why your converter isnt engaging the pump correctly.

There should only be 2/16-3/16 gap between the flywheel mounts and the converter mounts, no way 1"!!!!

Lee

230" Dragster - 2000 LS1, 02020003 Speed Density, PRC 2.5 Heads,
    MS3 Cam 237/242 .603/.609, Vic Jr. intake, Holley 1000CFM TB,
    PowerGlide, 5000 stall converter. 8.70@154 MPH

My Projects Homepage: http://www.horsepowerracing.com

alright about half an inch and its not the convertor line pressure is at 200-205! so the pump is engaged, and the t/c came out of my buddies ls1 he went with a vig this thing is brand new! i dont like tci but it was free and its for another buddy so.... i changed the setting back and is still doing the same thing! still wondering if i have the cooler messed up?

Lifetime Member

the way you explained it, it sounded like you didnt have correct pump engagement and wasnt getting the line pressure needed....

Lee

230" Dragster - 2000 LS1, 02020003 Speed Density, PRC 2.5 Heads,
    MS3 Cam 237/242 .603/.609, Vic Jr. intake, Holley 1000CFM TB,
    PowerGlide, 5000 stall converter. 8.70@154 MPH

My Projects Homepage: http://www.horsepowerracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by kistlerjm9 View Post
    is ok that i dont have the trans cooler hooked up to the radiator?
    This is ok.

If you remove the cooler return line (at/near the cooler) you should get fluid pumping out at the rate 2 quarts in 20-30 seconds with engine running at idle...

if you get that then the cooler is fine...

if not, then either line pressure is low (you said it's not), or the cooler and/or cooler lines have a restriction...
    Last edited by joecar; October 31st, 2009 at 05:56 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast