Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tune issue on Duramax LMM truck

Default Tune issue on Duramax LMM truck

My tune issue is this. Currently I run two different tunes that work absolutely perfect. A third tune that I attempt to run “a race tune” will not let my truck run properly. I believe it goes into limp mode either right at start up or when I have been driving for 3-5 minutes. The truck just starts sputtering, blows a bit of white smoke and has absolutely no go power. I may get 5 mph out of her when she is acting up.

Does this sound like limp mode and is there anyone who would like to take a look at the tune to help me diagnose the problem. I need more qualified eyes.
    Chuck Bondurant
    Duramax LMM
    EFI Live tuned -Idaho Rob
    ATS transmission
    Bully Dog - PMT gauges only
    MPI Twins
    40 Over injectors
    FASS Fuel System
    Fabtech 6" - 18" XD Addict Rims

beekiller at cox net

no guarantees, what are the codes
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

Does the race tune delete the EGR valve ? I have had to re-anble the EGR on some LMM tunes as it would make it smoke white smoke and sputter badly with it tuned off-
    ALSO--have you taken the DPF off the truck ?? If not the DPF filter will plug up with any tune that adds too much fuel--many handheld programmers or banks tuners have what they call a "clean tune" these tunes only add timing and no fuel but are limited to around 50-75 HP

Hmmm that sounds like the issue I am having. White smoke a sputter with no power. I will look into the EGR parameters and see if that solves my problem. This tune drops a bunch of fuel and I do not have any issues with filters plugging.
    Chuck Bondurant
    Duramax LMM
    ATS transmission
    MPI Twins
    40 Over injectors
    FASS Fuel System

I've also had similar LMM issues with the EGR...Also, I would only contact IdahoRob regarding his tunes...I'm sure he can help you out...
    2007 CC/SB 4WD, McRat EFI Live, Trans, Trans Cooler and C3 clutch oiling mod by Mike L., SD Sleeves, SoCal Diesel

2002 CC/DRW 2WD, McRat EFI Live, Trans, Trans Cooler and C3 clutch oiling mod by Mike L., SoCal Diesel

I did contact IdahoRob regarding the tune. He has looked at it numerous times and can not find any issues. He says it runs great on a number of LMM trucks. I do want to say that Rob is great to work with! He set me up on another tun that did work really well.

The tune I am having issues with has been bugging me for a while, and that is why I have opened the issue up to a wider audience. When I get to run the truck on the tune (for a couple of minutes) it really runs nice. Thanks for the advice on the EGR issue. I will see if I can figure out what to turn on or off. My first guess is that I need to change the EGR duty cycle parameters?
    Chuck Bondurant
    Duramax LMM
    ATS transmission
    MPI Twins
    40 Over injectors
    FASS Fuel System

It could be anything at this point, let's look at a log. That should handily answer your question. It may well not be tune related, though I see why you would come to that conclusion.
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

I would do a comparison of the "bad" tune to the 2 good tunes...See what the differences are, then change 1 table at a time until you find the culprit...Process of elimination...
    2007 CC/SB 4WD, McRat EFI Live, Trans, Trans Cooler and C3 clutch oiling mod by Mike L., SD Sleeves, SoCal Diesel

2002 CC/DRW 2WD, McRat EFI Live, Trans, Trans Cooler and C3 clutch oiling mod by Mike L., SoCal Diesel

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Neens View Post
    I would do a comparison of the "bad" tune to the 2 good tunes...See what the differences are, then change 1 table at a time until you find the culprit...Process of elimination...
    Word! that usually works...
    '07 TBSS, LS2, T42, 3SS, Black on Black on Black, Pretty much stock at the moment. EFILive will fix that

'06 LBZ/Allison 6speed, EC, LB, 1LT, Leather
    Current Mods: EFI Live/ PTO High Idle Mod/ Factory Exhaust Brake / BD Full Bore/ TransGo Jr./ TTS Twin Lift Pumps/ MBRP 4" turbo back/ Custom air box mod/ BullyDog Outlook Monitor

465hp/1008tq---7/25/09---Dyno Day Fast Specialties Tuning by ME

Quote Originally Posted by tblu92 View Post
    Does the race tune delete the EGR valve ? I have had to re-anble the EGR on some LMM tunes as it would make it smoke white smoke and sputter badly with it tuned off-
    ALSO--have you taken the DPF off the truck ?? If not the DPF filter will plug up with any tune that adds too much fuel--many handheld programmers or banks tuners have what they call a "clean tune" these tunes only add timing and no fuel but are limited to around 50-75 HP

Thank you tblu92 you nailed it pointing out the EGR as the issue. I ended up tweaking the duty cycle and temp params, and it worked. In fact the truck works really well. The tune is spectacular. Thanks to IdahoRob for hooking me up with the power. I guess I should read up on the egr removal.
    Chuck Bondurant
    Duramax LMM
    ATS transmission
    MPI Twins
    40 Over injectors
    FASS Fuel System

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast