Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E40 dtc p2101

Red face E40 dtc p2101

I have a Pontiac GTO 2005 LS2 with E40 ECU. Throttle pedal and throttle body all work fine until the Throttle body position reaches 83%....Then the throttle body shuts down and throws DTC code P2101 "Control Module Throttle Actuator Position Performance". With no responce to the padal imput at all. As if the whole pedal and throttle body are dead. Checked the usual stuff like fuses, plugs and wiring etc with no shorts or open ccts. If I clear the Code and turn the ignition off and on again and then it all works fine again until I hit 83% then it all shuts down and throws the same code.... Does anyone have any ideas as to what this might be or how to carry out further testing? I dont just want to buy new components just for the sake of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
    I have a Pontiac GTO 2005 LS2 with E40 ECU. Throttle pedal and throttle body all work fine until the Throttle body position reaches 83%....Then the throttle body shuts down and throws DTC code P2101 "Control Module Throttle Actuator Position Performance". With no responce to the padal imput at all. As if the whole pedal and throttle body are dead. Checked the usual stuff like fuses, plugs and wiring etc with no shorts or open ccts. If I clear the Code and turn the ignition off and on again and then it all works fine again until I hit 83% then it all shuts down and throws the same code.... Does anyone have any ideas as to what this might be or how to carry out further testing? I dont just want to buy new components just for the sake of it.

I have heard of issues with these TB's. Maybe you could try borrowing another actuator to try?
    2005 HSV Maloo Ute, HKE 457ci Stroker LS2 E40, TFS 245's, 255/263 Hi Lift HUC, FAST LSXr 102, NW Billet 102 TB, FLT Level 7 4L65E, CircleD 4200 stall, Duspeed OTRCAI - Mafless, DF 1 7/8" LT's, 3" DiFilipo Duals, Serial LC-1 WB's

"An Old Dog learning new tricks"

Lifetime Member

This is a factory car/engine/ECM right? Not a conversion or a replacement ECM or pedal?

Red face

Hi, I am unable to borrow another TB unfortunately... The Engine is in a kit car. The ECU, Pedal, TB , Airfolw meter and Engine are all stock items....I have had the engine running wiith no problems and a full throttle responce no problem.....

Lifetime Member

Hi, I am unable to borrow another TB unfortunately... The Engine is in a kit car. The ECU, Pedal, TB , Airfolw meter and Engine are all stock items....I have had the engine running wiith no problems and a full throttle responce no problem.....
    So the ECM is directly from an LS2 GTO? The problem you describe can occur if the ECM does not have the right GM base level calibration for the pedal and ETC combination.

If you are not sure post your tune file and it can be checked.

Hiya,

You may have a point the ECU had an Automatic gearbox file on it when I got it. I downloaded a manual tune file for the sme car and year and same calibration number....

Here is the tune file as it is now running...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lifetime Member

Hiya,

You may have a point the ECU had an Automatic gearbox file on it when I got it. I downloaded a manual tune file for the sme car and year and same calibration number....

Here is the tune file as it is now running...
    ECM calibrations look fine.

Do you have the part number on the pedal?

And is this with the engine running or engine off?

Smile

Hi

Not sure which on the pedal are the GM Part codes so all the numbers on the pedal are as follows :

AG104798 P0052A013 and XM92188385

This fault occurs with the engine off. Not sure if it occurs with the engine on as have only fired it up in the chassis and run it at idle. I have revved the engine only with light to medium throttle inputs up to about 3000rpm, so not sure if this will repeat itself at full pedal?.... I guess this is somethingI should try :-)

Lifetime Member

Hi

Not sure which on the pedal are the GM Part codes so all the numbers on the pedal are as follows :

AG104798 P0052A013 and XM92188385

This fault occurs with the engine off. Not sure if it occurs with the engine on as have only fired it up in the chassis and run it at idle. I have revved the engine only with light to medium throttle inputs up to about 3000rpm, so not sure if this will repeat itself at full pedal?.... I guess this is somethingI should try :-)
    The 8 digit number after XM is the GM part number. Looks Ok.

Where are you measuring the 83% number?

Did the ETC/throttle body come with the engine? Looking from the front of the car the motor casing points to the left and is made of alloy like the whole TB? (i.e. if it is a truck TB with a black plastic cover, it wont work.)

What color is the throttle blade?

Also try moving very quickly through the point where you are getting limp and DTC. Try doing this several times and see if the fail effect lessens or goes away.

Does the throttle blade move smoothly and cleanly as you move the pedal slowly?

Also leave it switched on for a while without moving the throttle past 50%. Go away, leave it on. This can have an effect. Learning of some sort.

In the end you may have a faulty TB, but worth trying these points out.

Red face

Hi GMH 308.:-)

Ok...To answer your questions.

83% was read off the dashboard.....For some reason the throttle actuator PIDs on the scan tool would not rgister despite running a realtime test? A bit odd...I will check this out again just in case there is something I am not doing?

Throttle body is the correct TB as you describe. Alloy body not from a truck and it came with the engine.

The throttle blade is a silver metallic colour. The throttle blade moves in proportion to the sweep of the pedal ok. It returns back to the correct start position when the pedal is returned. I Tried the fast sweeps you describe and all works ok but, hold full throttle for approx 1-2 seconds then shuts down and stays down until I clear the codes again??? Do you happen to know the correct voltage that should be present to the TB at full throttle? Maybe it is receiving too much power at the full position and this causes it to overload?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast