Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: E38 VATS will not disable

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by MSURacing View Post
    Ok, I am having this same exact issue and I have been told the same thing that HP Tuners doesn't have an issue with this. SO........ Here is what I can do. We do have HPT and I will be willing to work with you on getting this right. I will get one running on HPT, and I will send you the cal as loaded from EFI Live.
    Is this going to help you fix the issue. I need support on this as I have customers waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    With the trouble some people are having with this, we did some testing.

Got an ECM and did nothing else but apply the EFILive VATS patch. Nothing else was touched. Not even the VATS parameters in the "System" section were touched. No power relays connected, no resistors connected to spoof the relay existence.

Install in car, starts right up and runs.

Some operating systems start first hit of the key. Some take two. This is consistent. The OS's that take two, wont start on the first cranking attempt. Key needs to be returned to the off position for 5 sec, then they start right up on the second attempt.

Another shop that we know has HPT. Tried same with HPT (after navigating how screwed up they get around VIN's and model years which is something that EFILive is free of)...., identical results.

Which OS are you using? We didnt go and test every GM OS there is, only a few.

If this is in a retrofit, are you trying to control any power relays (other than fuel) via the ECM?

Cheers.
    Last edited by gmh308; January 15th, 2010 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Edit...:)

Ok, so I finally got some more time to spend on this.

And wha la, just do the VATS Patch and it worked, OS: 12614088

So, next week, I am going to be trying other OS's.

Oh, I did have to use the power relay and starter relay trick. Maybe I will try to bypass both of them next week and see what will happen.

Thanks for you help guys.

So this brings up the next question, if the other VATS stuff isn't needed to make this stuff work stand alone, why is it there?

Thanks again,

Lifetime Member

Oh, I did have to use the power relay and starter relay trick. Maybe I will try to bypass both of them next week and see what will happen.

So this brings up the next question, if the other VATS stuff isn't needed to make this stuff work stand alone, why is it there?

Thanks again,
    Well GM put it in there. Why EFILive kindly gave access to it, is that for regular production cars the parameters do have their applications.

Thanks again,
    MSURacing,

What is the power relay and starter relay trick you are referring to? I gave

up on a project that I was working on(2007 E38 5.3 & TH400 into a 2000

Jeep wrangler).... Won't start! I was actually thinking of buying HP Tuners or

the Lingenfelter TRG-001 58x To 24x Crank Sensor Trigger or Reluctor

Wheel Conversion Module
    just so I could start it and get it out of my shop....

The OS i'm working on is 12605898
    2008 2WD Ext.Cab Silverado 1500 6.0 V-MAX E38(L76) & T42(4L70E) MAF Only CL Corvette Servo AFE CAI INNOVATIVE LM-2 WBO2

FLASHSCAN V2 & AUTOCAL

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GAMEOVER View Post
    MSURacing,

What is the power relay and starter relay trick you are referring to? I gave

up on a project that I was working on(2007 E38 5.3 & TH400 into a 2000

Jeep wrangler).... Won't start! I was actually thinking of buying HP Tuners or

the Lingenfelter TRG-001 58x To 24x Crank Sensor Trigger or Reluctor

Wheel Conversion Module
    just so I could start it and get it out of my shop....

The OS i'm working on is 12605898
    The TRG001 wont solve any VATS related issues. Though in very hot weather it has been known to mimic VATS shutoff .

Quote Originally Posted by gmh308 View Post
    The TRG001 wont solve any VATS related issues. Though in very hot weather it has been known to mimic VATS shutoff .
    , that doesn't sound good.

Gameover, make sure on the conversion if you are using a T400 or some other non electronic Auto, don't use an Auto ECM tune as the base, for conversions that aren't running with a 4L60E, 6L80E etc (with a T42 / T43) you must use a manual trans file in the ECM or the ECM will be looking for the P/N message from the TCM before it will allow a start.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by gmh308 View Post
    I would be using an LS1 PCM to run the motor, right? Not the E38... So it would solve the starting issue...
    Last edited by GAMEOVER; February 14th, 2010 at 01:16 PM.
    2008 2WD Ext.Cab Silverado 1500 6.0 V-MAX E38(L76) & T42(4L70E) MAF Only CL Corvette Servo AFE CAI INNOVATIVE LM-2 WBO2

FLASHSCAN V2 & AUTOCAL

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    , that doesn't sound good.

Gameover, make sure on the conversion if you are using a T400 or some other non electronic Auto, don't use an Auto ECM tune as the base, for conversions that aren't running with a 4L60E, 6L80E etc (with a T42 / T43) you must use a manual trans file in the ECM or the ECM will be looking for the P/N message from the TCM before it will allow a start.

Cheers,
    Ross
    Holy Cow!!! I didn't even try or think about that... But I can't find a 2007 E38 Silverado 5.3 with manual transmission, all of them are auto's...

FLASHSCAN V2 & AUTOCAL

Quote Originally Posted by GAMEOVER View Post
    Holy Cow!!! I didn't even try or think about that... But I can't find a 2007 E38 Silverado 5.3 with manual transmission, all of them are auto's...
    I have this one running without the trans module connected.

I would recommend going with a Corvette cal. Have a dealership flash in a corvette cal and make all the changes to make it appear as the 5.3L, if you don't get it up and running.

The power realy is now sending igntion power to the ECM rather than doing it with a switch. Now, my ignition switch closes the relay. Dumb, but it seems to work.
    As for the starter relay, see the post eariler in this thread. What I did, because I don't have any 100 ohm resistors, is just wired a relay in to close when the ignition is on. The starter circuit seems that it needs to see load in order for the controller to be happy. I am still not 100% on it being the relays or just the simple VATS patch, so I will diagnose that when I have some more free time.

I am having the same problem. I am running a 2007 5.3L/4L60 out of a tahoe. I don't have any spark or any noid. I have the starter relay enable wired right off of the ign. switch. I have power to all injectors and power and ground at all coils. We turned of vats, but something else is stopping it from starting. At this time I can not read the tcm, but should that matter at all...
    Trevor

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast