Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How difficult is EFI Live

Default How difficult is EFI Live

I currantly have a Diablo Sport for my 2000 GMC Yukon not really happy with what I can do with it, and customer service is the worst. My question is for the money I am about to invest, will it be difficult to tune my own vehicle, and make adjustments as nessasary regarding fuel, idle, turn on pcm pins to accomidate e fans and adjust temps. ect., $800 is a lot to spend to find out your over your head.

The best thing you can do is download the free software from the efilive site http://www.efilive.com/index.php?opt...=48&Itemid=124, and a tune file from the Holden crazy site http://www.holdencrazy.com/EFILive/stockTunes.php & have a look. Ask any questions you may have on this forum, or use the search function & see if it all comes clear.
    The basics are quite easy but there is a steep learning curve once you start getting into cam tunes etc.
    Last edited by 5.7ute; November 18th, 2009 at 05:06 PM.
    The Tremor at AIR

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by cjms View Post
    I currantly have a Diablo Sport for my 2000 GMC Yukon not really happy with what I can do with it, and customer service is the worst. My question is for the money I am about to invest, will it be difficult to tune my own vehicle, and make adjustments as nessasary regarding fuel, idle, turn on pcm pins to accomidate e fans and adjust temps. ect., $800 is a lot to spend to find out your over your head.
    learning to tune is fun too...best $800 you will ever spend on performance for your vehicle.
    07 Silverado DMax Classic
    02 Z06 LS3 416, 805rwhp, TFS245, Wiseco, Callies Crank/Rods, Iskendarian Lifters, Crower Rockers, FAST102/90, ATI Damper, 1-7/8 Kook's LT, QkTime Shield,Tolle-Fab 8pt
    Old Engine: 1/4mile = 9.6/146 New Engine:?

EFI Live Tune/Scan v7.5.27, EFI Live Scan and Tune v8.2.23, build 276, BootBlock 2.07.06, FirmWare 2.07.52, 512K RoadRunner (12.14.R), Innovate Serial LC2x2

COS5/12212156 For 2002 Z06 Manual Vette

I agree, I have used a few different tuning applications over the past few years and by far find EFILive the best and easiest

CJMS,

Welcome to the forum...

Do what 5.7ute said, download/install the actual software and play with it...

The install comes with sample log and tune files (from real vehicles)... you may be able to find a tune file for your vehicle at www.holdencrazy.com.

It can easily be said this is the best mod you can make, best bang/buck...

You will need to do a lot of reading as the the logging/tuning software allows you to do many many things.

What year/model/vehicle do you have...?

Lifetime Member

And if you want to get deeper and deeper into tuning, it is worthwhile to do some reading and reading and reading on internal combustion engine theory, EFI, etc etc etc.

Greg Banish's book (EFICalibrator on here)....."Advanced EFI...." IIRC, covers enough of this to start to get you in the picture. And his DVD based training though I have not seen it, is no doubt quite deep and thorough as well.

Yes you gotta invest, but if you invest in the right places, your learning curve will be easier and faster.

Also look out for books by Smokey Yunick and Bill Jenkins. They cover a lot of race based engine engineering/practice. They might be 25 years old, but still highly relevant.

Lifetime Member

I once found a T-shirt that said
    "you don't have to be crazy to work here, they'll train you"
    We will do just that !!! I don't know how much your Diablo costs
    but I believe those are only good for one car or truck the V2 includes
    two and has room for many more. So it is a good value the key though
    is the knowledge it takes. I say get the V2 and if you need help you can
    send your tune via E-mail.

great Ill download this evening. I have a GMC Yukon with a 5.3 eng. The diablo sport is rather limited. and im looking to take full control, just didnt want to get to far in and find out I screwed my truck all up, I will look for a few books that are recomended Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by cjms View Post
    great Ill download this evening. I have a GMC Yukon with a 5.3 eng. The diablo sport is rather limited. and im looking to take full control, just didnt want to get to far in and find out I screwed my truck all up, I will look for a few books that are recomended Thanks guys
    Before you start tuning, download and save the stock file from your PCM. Then you can make whatever changes you think are appropriate, and if you screw something up, you can always reload the original tune and start again. Similarly, whenever you save a new tune file, assign a new name for it (EFILive will do that automatically if you select "Save As".) That way, if you need to step back to a previous file, you can.

If you'd like to get a better background on tuning priniciples, I'd suggest a carburetor book like How to Rebuild and Modify Carter/Edelbrock Carburetors from SA Design. Carburetors and fuel injection do the same things differently, so the general operational considerations are the same. You'll also find that members of this forum are extremely helpful.
    DigitalEFI- EFILive US Distributor
    sales@digitalefi.com
    678/344-1590

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by dfe1 View Post
    Before you start tuning, download and save the stock file from your PCM. Then you can make whatever changes you think are appropriate, and if you screw something up, you can always reload the original tune and start again. Similarly, whenever you save a new tune file, assign a new name for it (EFILive will do that automatically if you select "Save As".) That way, if you need to step back to a previous file, you can.
    2X that, he beat me to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast