Great info and great site, I have read around the site a bit, and there seems o be a ton of info in regards to duramax tuning, I am very intimidated as I tune ford Gas Cars with SCT and just recently realized that I have alot to learn about the EFI software as well as diesel....

Recently picked up a customers car in TX (about a 23hr drive from my shop in PA) in my 08 Duramax 2500 CC 4wd, I have been happy with it's fuel milage until this trip.

I have seen as much as 20mpg hwy empty and would average around 17mpg over the course of my average week.

My trip started well and was averaging 16.5mpg (16ft open trailer, 800# 'glas
willy's body), but quickly fell to 13 after my second fuel stop.

A customer who just purchased a Camaro SS and wanted to do some tuning.
I was contemplating a PPE flasher until the combo of the situations above lined up and now I can justify EFI live.

So here are my first few questions,

1, AFR or EGT?

2, If EGT (which I assume), what is a good target value?
a, does more fuel make more power?
b, what causes smoke?

3, Can one of the stock DPF EGT's sensors be used to tune with?

4, What are the effects of injector timing?

5, Can the original ECM be replaced with another to avoid the "rewrite count" to retain the warranty? I.E. Keep the original completely stock and make my changes to a junk yard core.

My original plan was to just log the stock stuff but hoped that I could trim my learning curve with some input from you guys.

I really had no plans on ever messing with the truck until I watched my fuel mileage wash away because of the federal government. I really do not need to make any more power (although it wouldn't hurt my feelings), I would just like to make it better.

Thanks in advance, I love communities like this.

Mike