Thread: Restore 56 Chevy Truck, adding GenIII V8

Default Restore 56 Chevy Truck, adding GenIII V8

Hi,

Any help appreciated. Planning to restore this truck and add a Gen III V8. Looking for 350-400Hp so a LS6 or LQ9 will do. As I am in South Africa there is no real choice locally available. 2 Companies import junkyard motors where I can maybe get. This will include the gearbox, do not mind either manual or auto box (4L60E) or like.

So need the complete sub assembly with the PCU etc. Do not know what I will get ito. PCU. IN preparing for this I am looking at Flashscan V2, WBO2 from Innovate (LC-2) with serial output, and do not know what else will be required?

Currently busy on building an air cooled Beetle project with local aftermarket EFI from Spitronics www.spitronics.co.za (no affiliation with them) so I am familiar with engines and EFI and electronics. Tuning the Chevy stuff may be foreign but got some tuning books and plenty tools, including 4 channel Tektronics oscope, meters, timing equipment etc.

Do not know anybody local with Flashscan or EfiLive, there must be some people as we have a few hotrods with Ls1 motors running and quite a few Holden/Chevy V8 cars.

So here are the questions, what would be the best budget EFI motor with factory PCU and how do I get this tuned and working? Need to start looking out for the motor/trans and all the stuff required to make it work and then tune it.

Rgrds

Lifetime Member

what would be the best budget EFI motor with factory PCU and how do I get this tuned and working? Need to start looking out for the motor/trans and all the stuff required to make it work and then tune it.

5.3L 4L60E from a GM truck, you can use the oem engine/trans harness, just rewire it and u will use the oem PCM, just remove VATS

Lifetime Member

To achieve your 350-400HP you can add a Turbo

Lifetime Member

I can't help you with most of your questions, but we do have customers in South Africa. If you search the members list here, IZAKS runs a tuning shop called Zaktech Automotive in South Africa.

Given the geographical size of South Africa, it's probably a long shot, but who knows it just might work out for both of you if that's the path you choose to take.

Cheers
    Cindy