Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel temperature affects mpg?

Lifetime Member

Default Fuel temperature affects mpg?

Don't know if this should go in the economy section or not. Just wondering because I've googled and it appears that cold fuel burns less efficiently? I know colder air has more oxygen in it. I haven't been on in awhile, but I didn't see any winter mpg gripes on the first page, so I thought it might be safe to post this. My AFR's are suprisingly close to where they need to be with the POS black box in open loop SD, so I don't attribute the loss to that. MPG is the same as last year when I was bone stock with a stock tune and O2's, so I rule out that as well. I'm entertaining the thought of fitting a thermostatically controlled fuel heater if I can find a cheap enough liquid to liquid heat exchanger to use coolant to heat the fuel up a bit more than ambient if cold fuel is the cause. I found a good bit on diesels and fuel temps, but not too much on gasoline.
    1998 GMC Sierra K1500 5.7/4L80E, longtubes, 411 w/COS 5, marine cam/intake, Whipple. 91 octane at 6000'.
    1997 GMC Sierra K3500 7.4/4L80E, 411 w/COS 3, Whipple, small cam.
    2004 Corvette Z06 with longtubes.

Gasoline temperature effects the port pooling/evaporation rates ("fuel dynamics")...

See tables B3401, B3406... (I'm not sure how to use those tables).

Lifetime Member

Impact factor and evaporation time, Jesus fucking Christ. My POS blackbox can't do it but my 411 probably will after I install it in a warmer climate. I can't believe those parameters exist. I was wondering more for gee whiz if colder fuel causes crap mileage? Does it not atomize as well at a lower temperature and this is the sole reason for crap winter mileage?
    1998 GMC Sierra K1500 5.7/4L80E, longtubes, 411 w/COS 5, marine cam/intake, Whipple. 91 octane at 6000'.
    1997 GMC Sierra K3500 7.4/4L80E, 411 w/COS 3, Whipple, small cam.
    2004 Corvette Z06 with longtubes.

Lifetime Member

Correct, solid fuel doesn't burn, fumes do. If you really wanna see it in action, get your car up to normal operating temp, get the trims nice and stable, and then go get it refilled with some nice cold fuel. Start scanning again, and you will see fuel trims go absolutely nuts until the fuel warms up and then trims will go back to normal.

The really obnoxious thing for tuning is that there is nothing that measures or accounts for the fuel temp. UGH!

Quote Originally Posted by redhardsupra View Post
    Correct, solid fuel doesn't burn, fumes do. If you really wanna see it in action, get your car up to normal operating temp, get the trims nice and stable, and then go get it refilled with some nice cold fuel. Start scanning again, and you will see fuel trims go absolutely nuts until the fuel warms up and then trims will go back to normal.

The really obnoxious thing for tuning is that there is nothing that measures or accounts for the fuel temp. UGH!
    LTFTS are highly negative for a few miles after I fill up.
    512k RoadRunner Firmware 12.14R
    FlashScan V2 Bootblock V2.07.04 Firmware V2.07.22 EFILive V7.5.7 (Build 191) V8.2.1 (Build 181)
    LC-1 WBO2

When cold, the pool (on the walls of the ports) evaporates slower (since evaporation rate depends on temperature), so, based on ECT, the PCM adds more fuel to increase the size of the pool which speeds up the evaporation (since evaporation rate also depends on surface area)...

(...I don't really understand it yet...)

so I suppose the extra fuel used reduces your MPG figure.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    When cold, the pool (on the walls of the ports) evaporates slower (since evaporation rate depends on temperature), so, based on ECT, the PCM adds more fuel to increase the size of the pool which speeds up the evaporation (since evaporation rate also depends on surface area)...

(...I don't really understand it yet...)

so I suppose the extra fuel used reduces your MPG figure.
    This would only be during transient airflow though. Once the airflow is stabilised the pcm would not need to inject more fuel as the puddle (tau) would be constant.
    Also manifold pressure will have an effect on evaporation rates.
    The Tremor at AIR

Quote Originally Posted by 5.7ute View Post
    This would only be during transient airflow though. Once the airflow is stabilised the pcm would not need to inject more fuel as the puddle (tau) would be constant.
    Also manifold pressure will have an effect on evaporation rates.
    Ah... I am still learning the details...

It's certainly a complex model, and not easily logged. I tried with the calc ipw pid but the available precision wouldnt let you easily see it.
    The Tremor at AIR

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    Impact factor and evaporation time, Jesus fucking Christ. My POS blackbox can't do it but my 411 probably will after I install it in a warmer climate. I can't believe those parameters exist. I was wondering more for gee whiz if colder fuel causes crap mileage? Does it not atomize as well at a lower temperature and this is the sole reason for crap winter mileage?
    Yes cold fuel and cold engine means ECM needs to dump more fuel in to get the AFR into the right space for cranking and cold run as it takes a lot more fuel to get the same degree of vaporisation in the combustion chamber.

For example 2x more fuel at 32F than 70F. Almost 9x more fuel at -40 than 70F, for cranking to get initial fire up.

Run fuel at -40 is 3x run fuel at 70. About 2x at 32F.

Once the fire starts, not so bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast