Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First autoVE tune ...please check and help !

Default First autoVE tune ...please check and help !

hello everyone !
    this is my first post because i am a new user of EFIlive . so here are some info: the truck is a hummer H2 , 8" custom lifted with 39.5x16.5 tall and wide tires. on the engine there is a 218/224 0.550 with 112 LSA cam , ported and polished heads with 11.6:1 comp ratio , longtube headers without cats , straight side exhausts , custom air intake through the hood with the MAF bolted 6" near the intake throtle...i had an handheld programmer but i have decided it's time to go and get a real tuning device

so i have read pretty much on this forum and followed all the instructions with the autove tuning, but i think that something isn't right regarding the maf. i have a 5 wire maf with the iat included and seems that despite i have altered the maf frequency fail readings c2901 c2903 c2904 and c2906 i am still able to see the maf frequency on logging ? is this normal ? how does the ECU thinks in this situation ? he is able to see it but doesn't calculated it ? am i going in SD mode ? and if i try to disconect the MAF , it is going very lean and can't drive in this condition ! please see the log files and give me some advice !

after that i have decided to leave the MAF connected and go for autoVE log test drive. it was a 5 min drive and did get a main VE table , but it doesn't look very different than the stock one. i had to smooth it a little bit because of some spikes i've got , but anyway if you look at it you can see ...please again i need some advise if i have done everything correct and your opinion !

base.tun is my "stock" tune
    ve0000.tun is after receiving the ve table from the log0000.efi
    please look at the difference between the main VE table !
    base autoVE.tun is the calibration i am using for autoVE
    please look also to see if i have set it correct !

thanks for looking at my post and please let me know what do you think ...

PS: i am using here 95 octane pump gas , my tune file is a little modified from stock for idle , some rear o2 sensor , p1514 that i am receiving i think because of the cam and the actual MAF position...etc...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi AR, welcome to the forum...

Some comments:

- you need to set B3605/B648 to be sufficiently rich in the last 2 or 3 columns (EQR 1.165)
    (this is very Important to prevent damage from high temperature and knock/detonation)

- also set B4206 to disable.

- in C6001, set P0101, P0102, P0103 to A: 1 Trip; then see next comment;

- any of these DTC's P0101, P0102, P0103 indicates that the MAF has "failed";
    if any of those is present, then the PCM is using SD (i.e. VE only);
    if none of those is present, then you have to remove the MAF signal wire from
    the 5-wire MAF connector, this will cause one of those to become present.

Also log DYNCYLAIR, DYNAIR, HO2S11, HO2S21 for information.

Also log LONGFT1, LONGFT2, SHRTFT1, ,SHRTFT2 for sanity check.

Also log TRQENG, TFMPRS to make sure the transmission pressure is sufficient
    (in SD mode, if VE is too low, then TRQENG is low, this causes TFMPRS to be low...
    this allows the auto trans to slip at high load allows, this is very bad
    ).

Those extra pids should bring your pid channel count to 24 (see next paragraph).

For fastest pid sample rate from the LS1 PCM, keep the pid Channel Count to 24 or less (see bottom of screen on PIDs tab in scantool)... i.e. no more than 4 packets.

Also, regardless of anything above, set D0960, D0961, D0962 to all 100%.

Make those changes to Base_autoVE.tun and start again.

Do you have FlashScan V1 or V2...?

hey joe ! thanks for the welcome !
    you are one of the people i was hoping to help me
    so i have followed all the instructions from you and get another logs: joe0001 and joe0002 ...hope it doesn't bother you using your name ...and here are some conclusions and problems i see:
    1. LONGFT1 , LONGFT2 , SHRTFT1 , SHRFT2 don't show anything when in SD mode ? do i need some other pids to select in order to work long and short fuel trims ?

2. i can get p0101 and p0103 so i am in SD .

3. when on idle very rich , cruising and easy on the throttle is going normal and little lean...learning the VE so i guess no problem , but when step a little on the gas pedal i am going very lean after 80 map ! it is IMPOSSIBLE to go WOT because a lot of lean condition ! is this normal ? i have copied the map on the main VE table and also work a little on it to raise the VE more after 80 MAP and 4000 RPM .should i repeat loging and mapping until i can go safely WOT in autoVE SD mode ? and is normal that i get high values like 117 % ? from my logic this would seem more like a supercharged situation when volumetric efficiency is over 100% ?

here are the 2 logs and the tune file with the new VE map

any inputs are great appreciated !!! thanks for looking !

Hey, no problem, use my name if you want......joe is a common name...

1. zero trims all the time confirm OL.

2. ok, those DTC's confirm SD.

I'll look thru your files today, I post some more comments later today.

Cheer
    Joe

thanks joe
    i forgot about...i have a V1.2 and 7.5 software version ! with a WO2 PLX gauge on the dash and input in the EFIlive

regarding that 117% VE ....i was looking at the stock calibration and it is going up to around 100%. so i am thinking that VE map is something more like point of reference since a NA engine in stock form should have a REAL volumetric efficiency more like 65-70% and with different mods could go up to let's say 95% in real. my math tells me that i have increase the real volumetric efficiency WITH 17% (for the moment ,because i can't go WOT yet) witch should bring me around 85% REAL VE ! am i right with my thinking ?

i have take a ride again in log joe0003 with the new VE map put in the normal driving tune VE0002.tun and feels like better already though when step on the gas i go lean like 16-17 AFR (still not completely WOT but better than in OL SD mode ).

THE STRANGE THING :
    1. in the ECU is loaded the normal driving tune file VE0002
    2. the scantool is logging and is showing the wideband BEN map
    3. while step on the gas i was at some points on the map 1.00 , 0.99 (MAP 95 with RPM 4400 ) the AFR gauge showed 17 !!!
    this is confusing me ...??? it should be around 14.7 AFR ...is this because i am not in SD ?

STUPID MISTAKE !!! on the autoVE.tun at calibration b3605 i should increase the petrol amount in the last 4 columns (85,90,95,100). but because my table was in lambda and not afr (i'm not used with lambda) ...i was increasing the value with 20% all those columns ! BIG MISTAKE !!! THAT WAS BASICALLY INCREASING THE VALUES WITH 20% WHICH IN RESULT IS DECREASING THE PATROL AMOUNT WITH 20% !!!...

well i will put this in another post for somebody else learning to work with EFIlive...

Yes, the VE table's real units are g*K/kPa... i.e. the VE table directly provides cylinder airmass "normalized" for temperature and pressure;

goto Edit->Properties->Display and set these:
    - Volumetric Efficiency Values to g*K/kPa.
    - Commanded Fuel Values to AFR or EQ and not Lambda (as you have found out).

Yes, you want the last few columns of B3605 to be sufficiently rich, say 12.6 to 12.8 AFR... if you do this you can set B3618 PE to stoich for doing AutoVE.

Last edited by joecar; December 14th, 2009 at 11:05 AM.

Does your fuel pressure regulator have the intake manifold reference (i.e. hose connecting to manifold vacuum)...?

Is your fuel pressure regulator located at the fuel rails, and does it have a return line back to the fuel tank...?
    Last edited by joecar; December 15th, 2009 at 06:00 AM. Reason: grammar

When you go to do AutoVE also set B4206 to Disable (in addition to all the other settings).

For the next log, remove HO2S12 and add HO2S21.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast