Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible to install Launch Control on Pre-10 Cars?

Lifetime Member

Default Possible to install Launch Control on Pre-10 Cars?

I am just wondering what would it take to add Launch Control from '10 Vette to a '06 z06 vette.

Just changing ECU and/or BCM do the trick?

Thanks
    "All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."

At this stage we are trying to understand how the system works within the ECM, if it is only ECM related then there is half a chance, but then you also face the issues of going backwards in year models with the ECM software.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

That would be cool. Already using static torque control to prevent wheelspin, but dynamic control would be a giant leap forward.

Just keep in mind that 2010 models use specific 2010 ECM's with 2010 software, don't hold your breath.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Just keep in mind that 2010 models use specific 2010 ECM's with 2010 software, don't hold your breath.
    Oki doki. Are there any significant differences in '10 over '09 like '09 over '08 with the change from 8g/s injector limits in '08 to 16g/s injector limit in '09?

Cheers.

From another forum:

LEGAL NOTICE: I accept NO Liability/Responsibility for the use or misuse of this information.

When I was approached with the possibility of buying a 2009 Z06 at 0% I tried to figure out and rationalize what I would be losing/gaining over waiting to purchase a 2010 in the spring. The only thing I could really come up with is that I really wanted the Launch Control, while I had no idea if I’d really USE it I knew it was a feature that I wanted either way. Given my experience hacking/adding features to Vehicles and generally doing the automotive “impossible” on an almost daily basis I bought the 2009 without even looking into what it was going to take it work. Less than two weeks after delivery I had Launch Control working in my 2009 as if it were a 2010.

I’ve struggled since I completed this mod as to what to do with it and how to “market” it. Its relatively difficult for the everyday Joe to complete and given some of the systems I was changing I wasn’t really comfortable taking on the liability of this particular mod or how to efficiently sell kits so this being the season of giving here is my Christmas present to you all; how to add launch control to your 2009 C6.

This how to SHOULD work for all 2009 C6’s however I’ve only tested my Z06. When I began this project I looked at it from a simple “it’s gotta be in the ECM” just by the way the system sounded on paper but upon closer investigation the system was quite a bit more complex than simply a calibration change. The majority of the operation is actually done by the EBCM (The ABS Module) with the ECM being told how to regulate the torque as well as having a DTC relating to the Launch Control etc.

What you’ll need:
    A 2010 ECM
    A 2010 EBCM
    Access to GM TIS2Web Programming or a REALLY friendly dealer ☺

Now this is the relatively simple part, you’ll need to install the ECM into the fender on your Corvette and program it with a 2010 Calibration for your particular vehicle. I chose to change my VIN back to my VIN as well as the Calibration segment Part #’s and CVN’s to match my 2009 this will likely be impossible for most others but its an option if you know how to do it. This makes the 2010 ECM look just like my 2009 Stock ECM when queried by a scan tool. Next you’ll need to perform a Crankshaft Position Relearn as well as updating the engine oil life to whatever your vehicle had before the swap.

Once the ECM is up and running it should function just as your 2009 unit did however those of you into modding will notice the new higher MAF ceiling as well as the newer injector limit (LS3/LS7 only) so this may be a plus for some of you. The next part is where things get exciting.

Using the (E5 IIRC) inverted Torx head tool remove the four perimeter screws from the EBCM (you will have to lean over the car from the passenger side and you will likely want to remove the intake first). Gently separate the EBCM from the ABS Control block. At this point you’ll see all the various ABS controls IE the ends of the solenoid shafts. MAKE SURE you don’t get dirt into this area it can damage the shafts during ABS engagement. Install the new Level 8 Bosch EBCM onto the ABS control block, make sure you note which is which as there is no actual GM part # on the unit. Program the unit using the same VIN that you used for the ECM, just make sure you select the correct calibration for your braking setup/engine ect.

Once you program both modules its time to test the operation of your new Launch Control system. Make sure Competitive Driving Mode is on, the steering wheel is pointed straight and the car is in first gear, push the clutch in and go WOT. This should bring the RPM up to a predetermined point and hold it around that RPM. Dump the clutch and hold on!

Now many of you have asked will this system work on your 2005-2008 C6? The short answer is no. The change from a Delphi to Bosch EBCM and subsequent new ABS block, Lines, Sensors ect make this cost prohibitive at best and impossible at worse. I’d say it would take A LOT of time and over $3000 in parts to make this work correctly on a 2006-2008 and I’m not sure it would ever work on a 2005 with an E40 ECM.

I hope you guys enjoy this and since I gave away the information hopefully no one tries to sell this to anyone I may offer programming for these systems if you cant find a dealer to work with or would prefer to keep it quiet but that remains to be seen.

Lifetime Member

Cool that you shared that Lorenz! Thankyou.

Which forum is it from?

Quote Originally Posted by gmh308 View Post
    Cool that you shared that Lorenz! Thankyou.

Which forum is it from?
    corvette forum.com

A guy name Chris White came up with it. He hacks into all kinds of factory stuff.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by minytrker View Post
    corvette forum.com

A guy name Chris White came up with it. He hacks into all kinds of factory stuff.
    Ah yes. Mr White. Must have plenty of hooks into GM too for the good oil.

yeah I was going to say...its probably just as much a function of the EBCM as it is the ECM, seeing as the EBCM is what handles torque limiting etc..
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast