Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: efilive v2 vs hptuners

Originally Posted by GAMEOVER View Post
    This guy also started a EFI vs HPT thread on the HPT website....Wow!!! alot of EFI Live bashing going on over there

No i did not start a thread on hp tuner .

My only contact with them was the exact same original email to both companies at that time it was primarily from ls1 forum as i am a gas man and both products are represented there.both responded very quickly and professional . my first decision was to go with hp because of the price and they seemed to do the same thing. then i started reading all the pages of posts and i started questioning whats the diff. between the two products.thats why i asked the ques. i have never responded or asked a question before this or in any other forum before this one, as you can see i never even thought of creating a handle,Mellor is my real name.this was my way of asking info from the professionals to answer or qualify my decisions as i have a budget and have work within it . i did read my post and yes i was more focused on price than product at that time . you guys are very passionate about this product and that says a lot about it to me

mellor

R.I.P Shawn, 1956-2011 WeathermanShawn's Avatar

You are right, people become very passionate about their cars, what type of heads and cams they have, and yes even their pursuit of tuning.

I think learning how to tune takes a certain blend of art and science. And some of the automotive forums (not this one) become competitive, petty, and full of misinformation.

I think you have talented people involved, whether it is HPTuners or EFILive. I am going to make a very subjective observation.. that perhaps the maturity level is higher on this forum, than others I have observed.

Thanks for the comments, and I wish you luck no matter what decision you make!
    Last edited by WeathermanShawn; February 10th, 2010 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Grammer
    2002 Black Camaro Z-28 M6 Hardtop 11.0:1CR 425HP/410TQ SAE (400TQ@3500RPM)
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband
    EFILive Closed-Loop MAF/SD Hybrid Tune..

Quote Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
    I have both and the biggest difference is logging. Being able to do Black Box Logging (EFILive) on a few dozen pids, engine AND trans at the same time is AWESOME.
    This is a very good point. EFILive's V2 has far more features than HPT's interface. You can read & clear codes, view & log realtime data without a PC (And see the data while you're logging it), standalone reading and flashing is coming. Also EFILive's software updates are free for life, custom OSes are free, as was stated VIN Licenses are universal meaning you buy a license and you can use it on ANY supported vehicle (and as such, a license purchased now but not used will work down the road on new vehicles since it's not tied to a specific model or year). I'm pretty sure HPTuners charges extra for their Custom OSes, and to top it off, they charge more if you want to flash the controller back to the stock OS! What little I've seen of the HPTuners interface, it seems more "cludgy" than EFILives. Also, just the fact that EFILive allows you to download the software and play with it before you buy puts them head and shoulders above ANY other tuning company. AFAIK, they are the only company that allows you to download and use the software with no time restriction (you just can't save, and obviously can't read or flash without the hardware). You CAN'T download HPT without buying it. IMO, the better hardware and "extras" justifies the extra cost of EFILive.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar281 View Post

Also, just the fact that EFILive allows you to download the software and play with it before you buy puts them head and shoulders above ANY other tuning company. AFAIK, they are the only company that allows you to download and use the software with no time restriction...
    Exactly as Cougar281 said... the EFILive software can be downloaded/installed by anyone, it is the actual production software.

Quote Originally Posted by mellor View Post
    Originally Posted by GAMEOVER View Post
    This guy also started a EFI vs HPT thread on the HPT website....Wow!!! alot of EFI Live bashing going on over there

No i did not start a thread on hp tuner .

My only contact with them was the exact same original email to both companies at that time it was primarily from ls1 forum as i am a gas man and both products are represented there.both responded very quickly and professional . my first decision was to go with hp because of the price and they seemed to do the same thing. then i started reading all the pages of posts and i started questioning whats the diff. between the two products.thats why i asked the ques. i have never responded or asked a question before this or in any other forum before this one, as you can see i never even thought of creating a handle,Mellor is my real name.this was my way of asking info from the professionals to answer or qualify my decisions as i have a budget and have work within it . i did read my post and yes i was more focused on price than product at that time . you guys are very passionate about this product and that says a lot about it to me

mellor
    Ooops, my bad....Sorry!
    2008 2WD Ext.Cab Silverado 1500 6.0 V-MAX E38(L76) & T42(4L70E) MAF Only CL Corvette Servo AFE CAI INNOVATIVE LM-2 WBO2

FLASHSCAN V2 & AUTOCAL

I posted this on the HPT forum yesterday.

A picture tells a thousand words.

Went back to check replies today and my post was removed.. Now thats pathetic on their count.

To the OP, can you clarify what your ultimate goals are? My perspective is personal and business related. You definitely don't need to bring a Howitzer to a knife fight- I take it you are not trying to develop an EFI curriculum based on the product you are evaluating here? The ultimate choice you (or the bean counters) make will be for....? Will the tool you choose be for? I think you will find your answer if you review your original requirements.

IMHO, if your requirements are to have a tool that will support development of a course of study centered around supporting GM EFI, then look no further.

Either way, if you are seeking anything more than the latest gizmo that goes "bing," the initial cost should be put into proper perspective when it comes to considering support and options already included.

Good luck teaching the future generations- I look fwd to institutions like yours sending me qualified individuals to employ. I can't do everything for ever.

2000 Silverado Full Size 4x4: Forged 6.2, H/C F1R Procharger
    98A4 Z28: 02 PCM H/C Forged 347, 9" Moser 3.73
    V1 V2 99+up RR COS #5 OLSD Dual Stg N20
    www.efialchemy.com
    www.greatamericancarwar.com

OK you won i am officially onside purchased it today

Quote Originally Posted by mellor View Post
    OK you won i am officially onside purchased it today
    Thats great. Funnily enough I got BANNED from the HPT Forum for that little pic I posted above in the thread you started there. Guess they don't like visual comparisons making their product look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by macca_779 View Post
    Thats great. Funnily enough I got BANNED from the HPT Forum for that little pic I posted above in the thread you started there. Guess they don't like visual comparisons making their product look bad.
    That's
    Are you a customer?
    A ban seems a little harsh.
    512k RoadRunner Firmware 12.14R
    FlashScan V2 Bootblock V2.07.04 Firmware V2.07.22 EFILive V7.5.7 (Build 191) V8.2.1 (Build 181)
    LC-1 WBO2

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast