Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Add the ECM AFM1500 to the serial WB list!

Default Add the ECM AFM1500 to the serial WB list!

just wanted to thank paul and joe for helping me getting our AFM1500 Wide Band to talk to the V2! It was a bit of a pain as the RS232 language can be quite confusing. Needless to say its working like a champ.

For those that are not familar with the ECM product line these are very quality units. ECM has been the supplier to GM and Chrysler for years with high end wb units. Most of which can be well over $50K!

http://www.ecm-co.com/index.asp

This particular units is significantly cheaper and has been flawless and very stable.

This is not the novice level device but any shop that wants no BS lambda monitoring should consider there non OE level units. I think Joe was going to do a sticky on the setup so please add this to the list of V2 compatible WB's.

Thanks again!

Howard

www.redline-motorsports.net

1-954-703-5560

2006 ZO6 895/866 with APS TT
    2010 SSRS Camaro HTR-900TT (798/801)
    2011 HTR-850R Camaro
    2012 ZL1 Auto (10.33@135 MPH) Video Here!

You guys finally got it going!
    I remember when you first asked about supporting it.
    It seems like a long time ago.
    512k RoadRunner Firmware 12.14R
    FlashScan V2 Bootblock V2.07.04 Firmware V2.07.22 EFILive V7.5.7 (Build 191) V8.2.1 (Build 181)
    LC-1 WBO2

Howard,

I'm not familair with the AFM cable... where does it plug into on the AFM, can you post a pic of it...?

The connection is like this:

FlashScan V2 DB9 serial cable --> null-modem adapter --> AFM serial DB9 cable (AFM1500A-16)

Does that look right Howard...?

We were trying to logic out RS232's reversal of TX/Rx pins 2/3...

Howard he ohmed all the signal wires to see which went where...and he contacted Fabio at ECM to ask for the soft protocol... it turns out the AFM requires commands to be sent to it to request the Lambda/AFR.

Howard got it talking and saved the trace file...

from the trace file Paul was able to verify that the AFM was responding correctly to commands from V2 and that V2 was receiving the responses correctly.

The new V2 firmware has support for the AFM... in V2 setup options the serial com has to be set to WO2 and the wideband type has to be set to ECM.

Thanks Howard......that's a lot of work while trying to run your business.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ECM-AFR-Pinouts.png 
Views:	433 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	8373  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by joecar; June 30th, 2010 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Howard,

I'm not familair with the AFM cable... where does it plug into on the AFM, can you post a pic of it...?

The connection is like this:

FlashScan V2 DB9 serial cable --> null-modem adapter --> AFM serial DB9 cable

Does that look right Howard...?

We were trying to logic out RS232's reversal of TX/Rx pins 2/3...

Howard he ohmed all the signal wires to see which went where...and he contacted Fabio at ECM to ask for the soft protocol... it turns out the AFM requires commands to be sent to it to request the Lambda/AFR.

Howard got it talking and saved the trace file...

from the trace file Paul was able to verify that the AFM was responding correctly to commands from V2 and that V2 was receiving the responses correctly.

The new V2 firmware has support for the AFM... in V2 setup options the serial com has to be set to WO2 and the wideband type has to be set to ECM.

I'll add step by step later... I'll attach the AFM pdf user manual.

Thanks Howard......that's a lot of work while trying to run your business.
    Joe,

There are two 9 pin female plugs on the AFM box. The one that is marked SMB/PC is the one that receives and transmits the serial data.

The big problem was that the AFM plug does not use the same universal RS232 pins as the rest of the industry, hence the need for there AFM1500A-16 cable which flips the pins. The null modem flips the Rx/Tx pins.

Now the next trick will be getting that same serial data into the dyno!

Howard

www.redline-motorsports.net

1-954-703-5560

2006 ZO6 895/866 with APS TT
    2010 SSRS Camaro HTR-900TT (798/801)
    2011 HTR-850R Camaro
    2012 ZL1 Auto (10.33@135 MPH) Video Here!

Big thumbs up. Just installed and seamless with the instructions above.

For those yet to install...the only small glich I ran into was insuring the ID1: and ID2: fields in the Autocal setup, matched the AFM1500. Default values of 0,1 respectively and the AFM1500 came as 1. V2 indicated "W02 Not Found". Changed the Autocal setup to 1,0 and it's displaying away.

Pretty trivial info but might be usefull for the next guy installiing.

First start, already see source of my cold stumble with + throttle change. NICE.

Quote Originally Posted by diablo View Post
    Big thumbs up. Just installed and seamless with the instructions above.

For those yet to install...the only small glich I ran into was insuring the ID1: and ID2: fields in the Autocal setup, matched the AFM1500. Default values of 0,1 respectively and the AFM1500 came as 1. V2 indicated "W02 Not Found". Changed the Autocal setup to 1,0 and it's displaying away.

Pretty trivial info but might be usefull for the next guy installiing.

First start, already see source of my cold stumble with + throttle change. NICE.
    Thanks for the feedback

So the wideband id's are 1 and 0 instead of 0 and 1, did I understand correctly...?

For my scenario, yes. However, I think the point is that ID1: in the EFILIVE setup for this WB needs to match the AFM1500 ID.

Were you using 2 widebands concurrently...?

Negative. Only one on bank 1.

What is the gong price for on of these ECM AFM1500 and where do you buy them in Australia?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast