Thread: Knocks Sensor Low Voltage

Default Knocks Sensor Low Voltage

I am working on a 2002 Chevy Silverado with the 5.3l. I keep getting error codes P0327 and P0332, which are low voltage to knock sensors on bank 1 and 2. It seems as if the knock sensors aren't working at all as i never get any knock when i am scanning as i drive, and I use to get little flairs of knock here and there.

I was modifying my exhaust just before this problem started and i was wondering if the voltage that goes to the knock sensors are on the same circuit as the o2 sensors behind the cats? I unpluged one of the post cat sensors as when i modified the exhaust i stripped the o2's threads and didn't want to buy a new sensor.

So does the voltage for the post cat o2's use the same as the knock sensors? Also where are the knock sensors located on these engines, I couldn't find it when I was looking today.

thanks for any and all help

I did this once, crawling atop the engine to swap transmissions I unknowingly popped the connector loose and unplugged them! Check the connector, located at the driver's rear of the intake manifold, just above the PCV line.

Mr. P.

I wasn't on top of the engine messing around but i will check to make sure all connectors are plugged in and okay.

I was talking with one of my mechanic buddies and he was saying he has seen problems with the knock sensors going bad if you are in a lot of water or mud. says it can get in there some how and rust the sensors causing them to go bad. I just don't see how that is possible both of them went bad almost at the same time....

Quote Originally Posted by gpr View Post
    I wasn't on top of the engine messing around but i will check to make sure all connectors are plugged in and okay.

I was talking with one of my mechanic buddies and he was saying he has seen problems with the knock sensors going bad if you are in a lot of water or mud. says it can get in there some how and rust the sensors causing them to go bad. I just don't see how that is possible both of them went bad almost at the same time....
    He's right - we have seen that as well. Because the knock sensors are screwed into the valley cover (under the intake manifold) they can trap water & muck and rot out. But I agree with you, it's not likely you'd have both of them fail on you at the same exact time.

Mr. P.

Also keep in mind, when this code is present, the vehicle will remove the maximum allowed amount of timing specified for KR in PE whenever going into PE.