Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ***Need help with idle surging while coming to a stop please***

Default ***Need help with idle surging while coming to a stop please***

Well first off I have a RWD Silverado SS with a 6.0L with the following mods, 228R cam on 112lsa, LT's, CAI, exhaust, Vig 3600 stall, 4.10's. When I come to stops is starts surging really bad to the point where it almost dies. Even if I go in reverse it starts surging too. Any help/tips/ suggestions are greatly appreciated. I will post my tune and a log soon. Thanks!

Have a look for Throttle Cracker and Throttle Follower threads. Also search for RAFIG on the forum which is for tuning the "actual" idle airflow requirements for your vehicle with mods.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Also we have tried to make changes to spark in gear and tweek the TF a bit and it solves the problem for a bit but then shortly after the problem still persist.

Quote Originally Posted by Tordne View Post
    Have a look for Throttle Cracker and Throttle Follower threads. Also search for RAFIG on the forum which is for tuning the "actual" idle airflow requirements for your vehicle with mods.
    Thanks!

Definitely do the RAFIG process as a starting point.

Throttle Cracker is the added airflow while moving (coasting basically). While Throttle Follower is added airflow and decay rate based on TPS change.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Tordne View Post
    Definitely do the RAFIG process as a starting point.

Throttle Cracker is the added airflow while moving (coasting basically). While Throttle Follower is added airflow and decay rate based on TPS change.
    Ok we will try that again and see if it fix is it thanks for all the info bro!

i had problems with my idle and what i did was find a similar tune stock or modified and copy in the idle info and try that if you think your program is off. It helped me alot with a/c surging.
    01 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3 cam swap
    Tuned by ME (COS 5 - running strong and smooth)

Hi Art - a suggestion, my truck was doing a similar behavior when I would coast down to a stop, the truck would take off and drive fine, and would start and idle fine, but when coasting down the PCM would hunt for idle and always be hitting off the stall saver and the AFRs were cycling rich-lean-rich-lean; what I found (accidentally) was modifying the injector tables made the issue go away for me, I am sure I also need to go through the RAFIG process but for now it's much better behaved. I am referring to the injector pulse width tables, small pulse adjust, and voltage correction tables; there is not a lot of literature/guidelines on these tables, it's kind of a black art :( Also, related subject I found that rescaling my AFR & VE tables made a world of difference in spark and transmission behavior.

Mr. P.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P. View Post
    Hi Art - a suggestion, my truck was doing a similar behavior when I would coast down to a stop, the truck would take off and drive fine, and would start and idle fine, but when coasting down the PCM would hunt for idle and always be hitting off the stall saver and the AFRs were cycling rich-lean-rich-lean; what I found (accidentally) was modifying the injector tables made the issue go away for me, I am sure I also need to go through the RAFIG process but for now it's much better behaved. I am referring to the injector pulse width tables, small pulse adjust, and voltage correction tables; there is not a lot of literature/guidelines on these tables, it's kind of a black art :( Also, related subject I found that rescaling my AFR & VE tables made a world of difference in spark and transmission behavior.

Mr. P.
    Thanks Steve! I will give it a try. Same here the truck idles, revs, take offs are completely fine its just when I am coming to a stop or low mph coasting.

Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDOWESIX View Post
    Thanks Steve! I will give it a try. Same here the truck idles, revs, take offs are completely fine its just when I am coming to a stop or low mph coasting.
    Yup I reframed my thinking - the cause is that the injectors changed, not because of the change in cam or heads or whatever... the PCM is a little lost on how to run the new injectors correctly at low pulse widths. As you are using a GM injector, I would attempt to find a tune from holdencrazy of a stock application using those exact injectors, and copy all the injector tables into your tune because those values were labratory measured by GM; this may require you go through the AutoVE process again, but at least the PCM will have the info it needs to run the injectors correctly at super-low pulse width situations. In my case I'm screwed because I have modified injectors, so I am experimenting with these tables to get it to act right during overrun.

Mr. P.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast