Thread: EFI LIVE V2 will not communicate

Default EFI LIVE V2 will not communicate

V2 will not communicate, tried 2 laptops, 2 usb cables, etc. Will not communicate w/ PCM on 06 K1500. Replaced fuse on Trucks ALDL (it was burnt) did not help. I remember running into this before and having to reboot in V2 menu, but I cannot find it in there anywhere... any ideas??? Scanner tuning software both will not work. Just says getting status (up to 10) and sometimes immediately says check connection to V2...
    thanks

Lets take the laptop out of the equation for now as it is unlikely to be related to that end of the chain.

When you connect your FlashScan V2 to the vehicle (and not connected to laptop) does it boot (power on) from the OBDII port?

When connected to the OBDII port and the vehicle ignition in the On accessory (not cranked) position what do you get returned by pressing F2->F2->F1->F1 on the FlashScan V2 keypad? This should be the Display VIN/OS option.

I'm would be suspect on the wiring between the OBDII port and the PCM perhaps?
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

yes, it does power up w/ OBDII plug in only. I have noticed also that sometimes the screen is dim on V2, and no words display comes up when powered off usb (doesn't matter which one, doesnt matter which USB cable i use) Truck is no longer here, customer had to take it, I will have to try on another vehicle...

Quote Originally Posted by rubbersidedown View Post
    yes, it does power up w/ OBDII plug in only. I have noticed also that sometimes the screen is dim on V2, and no words display comes up when powered off usb (doesn't matter which one, doesn't matter which USB cable i use) Truck is no longer here, customer had to take it, I will have to try on another vehicle...
    That occurs when the USB port that the FlashScan V2 is connected to is not providing enough power to boot the device fully. This will happen for one of a couple of reasons:
    1) The drivers are not loaded on the system. The drivers are required to enable a higher voltage to be supplied through the USB ports.

2) The USB ports fitted to the laptop might not be capable of feeding the full 5 volts per the USB spec. I have personally witness this, but I am aware that some laptops "might" have lower power USB ports on them - for instance a laptop might have say 3 USB ports, and only one might be able to supply the 5 volt per spec. In this insatnce you might like to try using a powered (external power pack) USB hub.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Lifetime Member

It is possible to damage the USB side so it won't properly work powered off a laptop. If it will not work from a laptop with the drivers properly installed and it will always work from a vehicle then you've likely blown the internal protection circuitry. if that's the case and you're in the US, it needs to come to me to be repaired. But make sure it's the unit before you send it, it's a waste of time and money when they show up with no problem and I just ship them back.

Ira

It is possible to damage the USB side so it won't properly work powered off a laptop. If it will not work from a laptop with the drivers properly installed and it will always work from a vehicle then you've likely blown the internal protection circuitry. if that's the case and you're in the US, it needs to come to me to be repaired. But make sure it's the unit before you send it, it's a waste of time and money when they show up with no problem and I just ship them back.

Ira
    I'll try it in the am on another rig, but It's been to ya before for the same thing, so I'm guessing thats most likely what it is... I'll let you know and thanks
    andy

OK, tried it on an LMM this am and it worked flawlessly. I should mention I tried it on that 2006 gas 6.0L yesterday using the ALDL as well as my bench harness (taking truck out of the equation) Any other ideas why it wont work on that truck? Customer did not purchase truck new, and has no idea if it has any other programmer in it (possibility?)

IIRC
    Some vehicles need the stereo disconnected for flashing/reading.
    Try pulling the fuse and see if that works.
    512k RoadRunner Firmware 12.14R
    FlashScan V2 Bootblock V2.07.04 Firmware V2.07.22 EFILive V7.5.7 (Build 191) V8.2.1 (Build 181)
    LC-1 WBO2

I should mention I tried it on that 2006 gas 6.0L yesterday using the ALDL as well as my bench harness (taking truck out of the equation)
    IIRC
    Some vehicles need the stereo disconnected for flashing/reading.
    Try pulling the fuse and see if that works
    been there done that... it must be something with the PCM??? I have 68 licenses burned up on my v2, so most of the easy tricks I got figured out (unless I am missing something or don't know) I tried unchecking high speed, etc. as well.
    thanks