Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Still looking for the elusive...

Default Still looking for the elusive...

way to limit spoolup smoke on performance tuning, and maintain equivalence ratio. This has been discussed in other threads. Starting a new one (just for you tony) to see if there has been any progress.

The paradigm entrapped need not reply.
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by killerbee View Post
    hmmm....

Well if thats me you are talking about i wont tell you about the CALC PID ive been working on that calculates EQ ratio for just this very situation. I've on a quest to remove excess boost where it's not needed and remove fuel where boost can't be produced efficiently.

It's taken days to get this thing sorted out. I was naive enough to base my instant MPG pid on straight MM3 values a long time ago and since then have realized that is grossly incorrect, however, it wasn't that far off. It is now based on the injector flow rate and the proportional relationship to the square of the current FRP.

I adapted the NEW calculation to readout EQ ratio and have not had a chance to get some logging done for this, as i have been playing with DSP too much.

But if this is not me you would be talking about i would be willing to talk to you privately about this, if you would like.

As for the software development of this EQ tuning...
    Ross's brain has been consumed with the DSP stuff and is trying to make the LMM deadline before SEMA.
    Last edited by bballer182; October 17th, 2009 at 05:46 AM.
    '07 TBSS, LS2, T42, 3SS, Black on Black on Black, Pretty much stock at the moment. EFILive will fix that

'06 LBZ/Allison 6speed, EC, LB, 1LT, Leather
    Current Mods: EFI Live/ PTO High Idle Mod/ Factory Exhaust Brake / BD Full Bore/ TransGo Jr./ TTS Twin Lift Pumps/ MBRP 4" turbo back/ Custom air box mod/ BullyDog Outlook Monitor

465hp/1008tq---7/25/09---Dyno Day Fast Specialties Tuning by ME

way to limit spoolup smoke on performance tuning, and maintain equivalence ratio. This has been discussed in other threads. Starting a new one (just for you tony) to see if there has been any progress.

I admire your persistence, its called MAF Limiting.............

Your goals are much different than mine, I understand that there is not a 100% fix for everything and I accept it, there are always tradeoffs and simple physics dictates that you always give a little to get a little.

Tony
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

Yes MAF limiting. So far, elusive with Bosch.

There is rpm fuel limiting...seems to be limited in effectiveness and tradeoffs may be high.
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available

Quote Originally Posted by bballer182 View Post
    hmmm....

Well if thats me you are talking about i wont tell you about the CALC PID ive been working on that calculates EQ ratio for just this very situation.
    We can have this discussion off-line if you like. Here is the one I have used before, not mine, IIRC fingers may have been involved, it is several years old. Credit where credit is due.

As you point out FRP is key to assessing actual dosing, and does vary with the square of pressure.

"({GM.MAINBPW}+{GM.PILOTBPW})*sqrt({GM.FRPACT} )/({CALC.CYLAIR}*16115)"

If you have anything to share in this regard, feel free. PM is fine also.
    Custom Tuning Services

Lifetime Member

We can have this discussion off-line if you like. Here is the one I have used before, not mine, IIRC fingers may have been involved, it is several years old. Credit where credit is due.

As you point out FRP is key to assessing actual dosing, and does vary with the square of pressure.

If you have anything to share in this regard, feel free. PM is fine also.
    I'm having a heck of a time trying to get the EQ ratio figured out. I've used that equation too and currently have a version of it with the NEW calcs based on advertised injector flow rates. Question is; what does the "*16115" represent?
    '07 TBSS, LS2, T42, 3SS, Black on Black on Black, Pretty much stock at the moment. EFILive will fix that

Current Mods: EFI Live/ PTO High Idle Mod/ Factory Exhaust Brake / BD Full Bore/ TransGo Jr./ TTS Twin Lift Pumps/ MBRP 4" turbo back/ Custom air box mod/ BullyDog Outlook Monitor

a number of conversion constants. I have never set out to create one from scratch, however any one that uses mass of air, and mass of fuel, with some logic, is good enough for me. I don't look for perfection with this, just a useful comparator in logs.

Still, it is hardly useful, if void of any programming tool that allows you to balance air and fuel.

Or is there another way?
    Custom Tuning Services

Lifetime Member

a number of conversion constants. I have never set out to create one from scratch, however any one that uses mass of air, and mass of fuel, with some logic, is good enough for me. I don't look for perfection with this, just a useful comparator in logs.

Still, it is hardly useful, if void of any programming tool that allows you to balance air and fuel.

Or is there another way?
    That equation converted to Bocsh pids created wild and non-logical values.

I'll PM you with the calcs i have come up with

I have used Fingers equation to help me tune my LLY for couple years now. I believe that he fudged the 16115 number until he could see a light haze coming out of the pipe at WOT. Because the LBZ injectors have a different flow rate you will need to tweak the 16115 number to suit the LBZ injectors. IMO, the easiest and by far the fastest means to accomplish this is to install a wide band oxygen sensor into the front pipe and start comparing meassured EQ to calculated values and tweak accordingly. Be sure to filter out the calc.cylair values once the MAF has been saturated or maxed out or your results will be skewed. Obviously you will need to substitute LBZ PIDs for the following LLY PIDs before you begin. Let me know if I can be of any assistance, I used this method on an LB7 with 40 over injectors with some success.

Quote Originally Posted by bballer182 View Post
    That equation converted to Bocsh pids created wild and non-logical values.

I'll PM you with the calcs i have come up with
    04 2500, LLY/A, 4x4, CC, SB, 285 Toyo's, Amsoil lubes, Access Roll-up Tonneau, ATS Stage 2 trans, ATS 5 Star Converter, Bilstein's, Caltracs bars, Cognito Braces, EFILive, Kennedy Diesel Custom Tuning, Kennedy Diesel headlight harness, Kennedy Dual Lift Pump/Filter combo, Prodigy brake controller, Spa DG 211, Trippin Cyclops overhead gauge mount, , TTS 4" Exhaust, TTS Xtreme Beta, Amsoil Ea filters, Banks CAI

Quote Originally Posted by Racehemi View Post
    you will need to tweak the 16115 number to suit the LBZ injectors.
    I agree. One vehicle specific constant. Should be easy to solve for a new one.

What did you see for eq when running highway unloaded, no boost? I seem to remember around 1.0??? Or was it 0.6?
    Custom Tuning Services

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast