Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: V2 resets clock... Any one else???

Is it possible that the old OS has something to do with the Clock issue to??? I know in the older PCM's like 97-98 there was an issue with programing.

Well I can't categorically it is impossible. The clock would not be controllers by the PCM though, most likely the BCM (if by a external controller at all).
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Default Hmmm... this is a hard one...

It seems like the clock loses power momentarily...

Trace the power/ground connections for the clock aback to see what other circuits they are connected to...

Check those wires/connections to see that they are good/tight with no corrosion...

When you plug V2 into the OBD port, some ground circuit is either completing or shifting it's ground potential, causing the clock (and other things) to reset.

Lifetime Member

It seems like the clock loses power momentarily...
    Momentary is the key word. Most of the GM radios have two power sources; one 12v for audio connections to ignition and the other a 12v hot connection for the radio clock and presets. when I disconnect the battery on my TA for a short time; the radio clock resets, but the station presets are still there when reconnected. A newer vehicle may be different, but I can't imagine.

A few questions to the O/P:
    * Are the radio station presets lost when this happens?
    * Have you witnessed the actual radio clock time change during the flash process? If so, what does the Flashscan status display read when it happens?
    Maybe that can help pinpoint the cause.

Lightbulb

1FastBrick, I had this occur last night when reading a tune file. The clock on the radio rest itself to 1:00, and that's not the first time this has happened. Very curious as to what this could be caused from.
    2001 GMC Sierra 4WD ECSB SLT, 5.3 LM7, stock 4L60E, 3.73, G80, @ 165,xxx miles
    *Installed Mods - Outlaw Intake, Magnaflow #15838 Exh., #59956 Cats, AEM Bruteforce LT's, EFI Live V2
    *Garage Floor Mods - Radix MP112 Supercharger Kit, Innovative LC-1 WB O2, FLT 4L65E LVL 7, (All gathering dust in the garage! )
    *On Order Mods/ To be ordered - T/A diff. carrier stud kit, T/A diff. cover, Circle D TB modded TC, SFI Flexplate

Like i stated before i have had this happen virtually every time i have tuned an 02 chevy 5.3L pickup, but not on anything else i have tuned. I was doing more tuning this weekend and paid attention to when the clock reset itself. it only resets the time when i initially plug in the v2. It doesn't matter if i am tuning with a laptop or plugging it in to clear DTC with no laptop plugged into the v2. As soon as i plugged in the v2 it would reset the clock. I could leave it plugged in and do anything i wanted and it never reset again, until I re-plugged in the v2.

Quote Originally Posted by 1FastBrick View Post
    Every time I plug the V2 into the OBD2 port it resets the Factory clock to 1:00.
    Truck Is a Stock 2000 Silverado 1500 ECSB 5.3L Auto. No aftermarket electronics.
    That happens on mine to... 2001 Chevy K1500 Silverado LT ECSB 5.3L Auto.

/Stefan

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Just a theory, but can anyone having this issue please try this...

When you plug in the V2, it makes a difference in the sequence the cable ends are connected:

1. Connect the cable into FlashScan first.
    2. Optionally connect FlashSCan via the USB cable to the PC.
    3. Connect the OBDII connector into the vehicle last.

The OBDII connector has longer ground pins and will earth the V2 before any power is available to the V2, that prevents stupid stuff (i.e. short circuits) happening on the OBDII bus.

If you plug the OBDII cable to the vehicle first, then plug the RJ45 into FlashScan there's no guarantee that the earth/power pins connect in the correct order.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Mine does it too, not every time, but more times then not. Never really though to much about it. I'm pretty sure my V1 did it too. I just reset the clock when I'm done. It doesn't reset the radio station presets, but neither does unhooking the battery. I think they must be stored in a memory that's not affected by power. Must be a 99-02 truck thing.
    01 ECSB 1/2 ton 4x4 Forged 5.7 LS1 GMC

Custom KBracing front mounted, BW S480, intercooled turbo

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    Just a theory, but can anyone having this issue please try this...

When you plug in the V2, it makes a difference in the sequence the cable ends are connected:

1. Connect the cable into FlashScan first.
    2. Optionally connect FlashSCan via the USB cable to the PC.
    3. Connect the OBDII connector into the vehicle last.

The OBDII connector has longer ground pins and will earth the V2 before any power is available to the V2, that prevents stupid stuff (i.e. short circuits) happening on the OBDII bus.

If you plug the OBDII cable to the vehicle first, then plug the RJ45 into FlashScan there's no guarantee that the earth/power pins connect in the correct order.

Regards
    Paul
    I'm going to go with Paul on this one, as this seems to be the most logical answer. Hey, his company designed the unit! I'm going to check on the theory tonight and report back.
    2001 GMC Sierra 4WD ECSB SLT, 5.3 LM7, stock 4L60E, 3.73, G80, @ 165,xxx miles
    *Installed Mods - Outlaw Intake, Magnaflow #15838 Exh., #59956 Cats, AEM Bruteforce LT's, EFI Live V2
    *Garage Floor Mods - Radix MP112 Supercharger Kit, Innovative LC-1 WB O2, FLT 4L65E LVL 7, (All gathering dust in the garage! )
    *On Order Mods/ To be ordered - T/A diff. carrier stud kit, T/A diff. cover, Circle D TB modded TC, SFI Flexplate

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast