Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EFI Tuner shootout for Diesel Power Magazine?

Default EFI Tuner shootout for Diesel Power Magazine?

Hey guys,

Had an idea to throw out there. Just read one of the latest issues of Diesel Power magazine and they had a chip/tuner shootout for the 7.3 powerstroke tuners. So I got the idea that we need to team up and get the magazine to do a shootout for EFI Live Duramax tuners, using tunes supplied by members of this forum. It would be great publicity for EFI live as well as us members who want to see how we really stack up, it would bring traffic to this forum and also open up a national magazine to pitch the upcoming Cummins support as well. Anyone think this is a worth while idea? Let me know and I'll contact them and see what they say. But just remember since I brought it up I should at least get the wild card entry with my tune lol.
    Peace Through Torque

Punisher Performance DSP5 Tuning, PPE Dual CP3's, 68mm Fleece Cheetah, Punisher Built trans w/ Suncoast Parts, Airdog 165, SoCal 100% Overs, ARP Studs

2013 NHRDA Sportsman World Champion

www.PunisherPerformance.com

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by LBZoom View Post
    Hey guys,

Had an idea to throw out there. Just read one of the latest issues of Diesel Power magazine and they had a chip/tuner shootout for the 7.3 powerstroke tuners. So I got the idea that we need to team up and get the magazine to do a shootout for EFI Live Duramax tuners, using tunes supplied by members of this forum. It would be great publicity for EFI live as well as us members who want to see how we really stack up, it would bring traffic to this forum and also open up a national magazine to pitch the upcoming Cummins support as well. Anyone think this is a worth while idea? Let me know and I'll contact them and see what they say. But just remember since I brought it up I should at least get the wild card entry with my tune lol.
    And EFI vs. the competition
    '07 TBSS, LS2, T42, 3SS, Black on Black on Black, Pretty much stock at the moment. EFILive will fix that

'06 LBZ/Allison 6speed, EC, LB, 1LT, Leather
    Current Mods: EFI Live/ PTO High Idle Mod/ Factory Exhaust Brake / BD Full Bore/ TransGo Jr./ TTS Twin Lift Pumps/ MBRP 4" turbo back/ Custom air box mod/ BullyDog Outlook Monitor

465hp/1008tq---7/25/09---Dyno Day Fast Specialties Tuning by ME

That is a great idea for sure, but it would need to be judged on more than the final dyno numbers. It would need a drive test to see how the truck behaves, even a 30mile MPG test?
    Then you would of course need a control truck that each tuner had a go at, and what model, LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM?

I can see this getting ugly

Cheers,
    Ross

P.S - Did you read the article on the new California Diesel emissions in that same issue?
    Last edited by GMPX; January 19th, 2010 at 02:51 PM.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Agreed. The real value of this software is refinement. (unless you have an LMM )
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by killerbee View Post
    Agreed. The real value of this software is refinement. (unless you have an LMM )
    hahaha. I hear ya... 8594 seems to be the trickiest.
    '07 TBSS, LS2, T42, 3SS, Black on Black on Black, Pretty much stock at the moment. EFILive will fix that

Current Mods: EFI Live/ PTO High Idle Mod/ Factory Exhaust Brake / BD Full Bore/ TransGo Jr./ TTS Twin Lift Pumps/ MBRP 4" turbo back/ Custom air box mod/ BullyDog Outlook Monitor

Well, they did several tests for the 7.3 shootout as GMPX mentioned. However they only published the dyno sheets with a brief commentary for each, and they used one truck for all the tuners, and notified the tuners ahead of time about the mods on the truck, here's what I propose...

Either an LB7 or an LBZ (depending on if you want VVT tuning to be a factor)
    1.) A street manners test
    2.) A dyno test
    3.) A MPG test
    First segment could be competition between members, perhaps do a second segment in another issue summarizing our tunes vs. competitors mass produced chips?
    Peace Through Torque

Punisher Performance DSP5 Tuning, PPE Dual CP3's, 68mm Fleece Cheetah, Punisher Built trans w/ Suncoast Parts, Airdog 165, SoCal 100% Overs, ARP Studs

Lifetime Member

1/4 mile ET's?

DP magazine is not going to do anything that aquiesces to the reality that this is a work truck.

Do an independent test, including some of the mentioned items, realworld oriented. First, find competent judges, that don't have a stopwatch growing from chest hairs.

MaxxTorque might be interested also.
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

A friendly competition like this would be a blast! But like Ross stated, there would have to be controls set to allow the tuners to be fairly judged.
    Making tires smoke since 1994
    Grand Junction CO

Ttt
    Peace Through Torque

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast