Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DPF Regen Effectiveness

Default DPF Regen Effectiveness

I found out the hard way, that tuning could involve killing the effectiveness of the cycle. I have no idea what I did specifically that hurt it, but it was clear that I was going to run my tune in regen, nearly full time because soot was building up as fast as the regen could remove it. I am pretty sure it was not a dirty tune, but rather, I change SOMETHING that killed regen effectiveness. As soon as I reflashed stock, the soot melted off at 10X rate.

I started this thread to discuss one thing: Regen criteria for fast effective regenerations.

If you have some educated ideas on what parameters constitute more effective (hot) regen, then please contribute. I would really like this to be an educational thread for tuners, so that we can all benefit. I wasted at least 40 hours of tuning, and would like to help others not follow in this path.
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

ok, sleepy crowd.

Is there an injector at the dpf site?
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available

Lifetime Member

NO!

There is no injector. I think 3 sensors pre and post pressure, and EGT.

My guess is timing is killing it somehow, it is messing with post injection quanity or time.

Lifetime Member

Link no worky
    04 LB7
    2010 LMM
    2015 LML

Does anyone have a regen log they can attach here, one that clearly shows post-injection?
    Custom Tuning Services

It is unfortunate that the software has NO dpf tables for timing, fuel pressure, soot limits, EGT modulation, intake valve modulation, etc. Regen is such a critical part of effective operation, especially for those trying to stay legal.

Is there a chance that we may see some of this?
    Last edited by killerbee; January 23rd, 2010 at 09:59 AM.
    Custom Tuning Services

Quote Originally Posted by killerbee View Post
    It is unfortunate that the software has NO dpf tables for timing, fuel pressure, soot limits, EGT modulation, intake valve modulation, etc.
    Time for you to go and buy GM's tuning software Michael.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

I found out the hard way, that tuning could involve killing the effectiveness of the cycle. I have no idea what I did specifically that hurt it, but it was clear that I was going to run my tune in regen, nearly full time because soot was building up as fast as the regen could remove it. I am pretty sure it was not a dirty tune, but rather, I change SOMETHING that killed regen effectiveness. As soon as I reflashed stock, the soot melted off at 10X rate.

I started this thread to discuss one thing: Regen criteria for fast effective regenerations.

If you have some educated ideas on what parameters constitute more effective (hot) regen, then please contribute. I would really like this to be an educational thread for tuners, so that we can all benefit. I wasted at least 40 hours of tuning, and would like to help others not follow in this path.
    Keep your post injections in... If you kill them it will definately reduce your time between regens..

As a test, drop back to 2 injections.. Drive 20 miles and you're catalyst will be full.. Then turn on the handy dandy scan tool. You can watch soot mass in the DPF fall rather quickly with a 100% clogged filter if you go back to 5 injections.

I've got some clean 425rwhp tunes running out there with no issues. What problems were you having in particular?

I don't think my wife will approve.
    Custom Tuning Services

Lifetime Member

I don't think my wife will approve.

Of you testing on her LMM ? Are you talking to me or Ross ?

My theories on efficient combustion would point someone to use more fuel pressure instead of pulse width, increasing timing for more CP etc..

My experience with these trucks shows that by reducing the torque limiting will gain plenty of power without increasing the pulsewidth much if any.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast