Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EFILive's GM Tuning Resource Wiki

R.I.P Shawn, 1956-2011 WeathermanShawn's Avatar

Default EFILive's GM Tuning Resource Wiki

For you members following a recent thread http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=12848there seems to have been a lot of interest in 'simplifying 'Tuning basics for beginners'. Curious as to whether this site is still 'up and going'? I was intrigued by the general web layout, and the one-stop resource of tuning material.

Anybody know?
    Last edited by WeathermanShawn; February 9th, 2010 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Redundant..
    2002 Black Camaro Z-28 M6 Hardtop 11.0:1CR 425HP/410TQ SAE (400TQ@3500RPM)
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband
    EFILive Closed-Loop MAF/SD Hybrid Tune..

The Wiki is a great idea but no one contributed to it.
    IMO the calc_pid section needs more in regards to the function/operators.
    An in depth WBO2 install/configuration would be nice too since
    the LC-1 tutorial is outdated w/serial abilities now available.
    512k RoadRunner Firmware 12.14R
    FlashScan V2 Bootblock V2.07.04 Firmware V2.07.22 EFILive V7.5.7 (Build 191) V8.2.1 (Build 181)
    LC-1 WBO2

You meant this site, right?
    http://gmtuning.info/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
    FlashScan V2 Bootblock V2.07.04 Firmware V2.07.22 EFILive V7.5.7 (Build 191) V8.2.1 (Build 181)
    LC-1 WBO2

R.I.P Shawn, 1956-2011 WeathermanShawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mr.prick View Post
    Yes.

But, I certainly understand you almost have to be a full-time editor to keep something like this going. Always nice to have one site to start navigating all the variety of tuning topics.

What do you think?
    Last edited by WeathermanShawn; February 9th, 2010 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Grammatical Errors..
    2002 Black Camaro Z-28 M6 Hardtop 11.0:1CR 425HP/410TQ SAE (400TQ@3500RPM)
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband
    EFILive Closed-Loop MAF/SD Hybrid Tune..

It won't hurt.
    I signed up but I haven't added anything.
    LC-1 WBO2

I am lacking in my ability to label(make correct reference to) what I an talking about. I will try and make updates to THIS post as I figure it out. ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED. Email to: hoopie127@hotmail.com with ANY AND ALL INFO/RECOMMENDATIONS.

I'm really new to this. I understand some basics of a lot of newer technologies(uC/programming/EFI/). I would like to create a GOOD beginner tutorial(and continue that thinking up the advanced level). I have little ability in editing/ understanding the creation of a wiki. I am williqng to learn and make a contribution. I am not surprised that there is talk of "not wanting to teach a person how to tune". I know from experience in the computer business that there is nothing better than a confused customer. Perhaps I am being somewhat short sited. Although, I see nothing wrong with teaching the very basics of a complicated subject. At least a person might be able to use his/her new $800 purchase before perusing 2 weeks of dis-jointed information.

My current noob thoughts are:
    1- make a basic generic folder.
    ------------In that folder explain:

__________________________________________________ ________________________

1- PID's

a. what they are.
    b. how to add one(including syntax). eg. wideband.
    Adding a serial wideband is a PID. Any of the analog wideband inputs have been covered many times. I have yet to figure out how to add a serial wideband PID. Perhaps I will understand it better when I connect my V2 and LC-1(better weather).

Best display settings/ how the pids interact(eg. imperial-metric)
    http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=164 (REALLY of little use). I am just learning how to select the correct PID'S.

2- DASHBOARDS. Used for realtime monitoring of data and analysis of recorded data.

How to setup the dashboard(s) gauges in order to get started with logging> This does not need to be as difficult as it is. Also, the gauges are not configured NEARLY as well as they could be for the beginner(even advanced) user. Part of the problem is the way the program defaults the changes (eg. as you pick gauge specifics, they are saved in the original directory). At least the PID selections are saved in a dedicated directory. I have yet to figure out where the PID's are saved.

3- Data logging. Have the basics, will create a simple view.
    a. what pid's are needed for each type of data analysis and why. eg. MAF/MAP auto correction.
    b. This list could get very long
    -------------------------------------------
    Order of inclusion of data below unknown GETTING BETTER

4- Maps(method of applying gathered data to the required areas). (will elaborate on this as I get a simple method of relating this to a beginner(better understanding).

5- Filters to limit data to only useful limits. There is a tutorial on this subject in the tune manual.pdf. Filters are simply a way to eliminate errata(incorrect data, eg. out of limit(upper or lower), or transitional change) from what you see or apply to your corrections.

6- Application of newly logged information/changes(unknown)

7- PCM preparation.
    a. Shut off AIRpump, EGR and LT/STFT, ect. Including table #'s and explanation.
    b. Decide on tuning method. eg. leave IFR or MAF cal. alone(orig. or SSPd method)

CAN I GET SOME HELP ON THIS???
    I am going to get started on this as soon as my upgrade gets here. I want to leave 1 licence on the old V1(don't want to use the last one).

Will add more noob viewpoint as limited knowledge allows .
    S
    Last edited by acomp917; February 4th, 2010 at 04:56 PM.

The Wiki is owned by Garry... it seems like a lot of work, so we would have to have some organization to it, some writers, some readers...

To all,

I just PM'd Garry about trying to revive a beginner wiki.

I would like to keep the logging/tuning kind of basic in the beginning. I going to try to document the method of:

1-shut off AIR and EGR
    2-shutting off all trims(open loop)
    3-make sure timing is ONLY a single base timing map(no K sensors)(copy HO spk map to LO map)
    4-shut down the MAP sensor
    5-adjust the IFR in-order to get the MAF imposed fuel to command stoic for <70kPa.
    6-shut off MAF and enable MAP. Use auto VE to modify table for stoic <70kPa
    7-re-enable MAF and see what happens
    7a.-re-enable o2 sensors
    8-monitor LTFT's to see if they subtract ~3% fuel
    9- figure out how to make PE work for >70kPa
    10-re-enable Ks, and paste LO spark table back, switch back to LO fuel and monitor Knock sensors

If this works, I am going to publish all of the steps required to accomplish the end result. I will then make further timing/fuel/transmission changes and add them to the wiki. NOT in a linear string of ongoing mods(as many do).

Does this sound like a way to iron out a stock tune? If anyone has anything to off, please feel free to chime in.

Also, if you know the table numbers or any caveats for my proposed methods, please help me by posting them.

TIA,
    S

I think that the Wiki idea is a good one and should be pursued. I have been very inactive in the forum for several years, but I believe that I can contribute some ideas to the Wiki and I will try to do so.

Acomp917, in step 5 above, you don't want to adjust your injector flow rate tables to change anything unless you change to injectors that have a different flow rate. Perhaps you mean adjust the MAF sensor calibration using AFR as a reference. If you adjust IFR, your VE tables will become wrong. Also, the knock sensors are your friend and you don't want to disable them in my opinion.

Steve

Steve

Thanks for the reply. At least I don't have the general feeling that the EFI live beginners have been abandoned.

SSpdDmon posted an alternative method of tuning a PCM.
    listed in post #4 here: http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7866

In my limited knowledge, I kind of agree that considering all of the dynamics... the MAF is "probably" the least effected, most calibrated device. I think it is also easier to do a quick and dirty re-cal with this method(if total overall accuracy is maintainable?).

I am VERY open to ALL help/opinions at this point. I hope to get the basic steps refined quickly. I will then try to get proficient with the tools at hand. After(if ) I ever get through that, I will attempt to post a wiki about my methods.

BTW, I pm'd Garry(wiki owner). Never got a reply. If I am not mistaken... nobody can modify the wiki without his access. Please understand that I am VERY new to both EFI live and attempting to publish a wiki

Steve

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast