Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E38 ecm failure

Default E38 ecm failure

Has anyone come across an e38 ecm failing.I have a series 1 VE clubsport at work and its doing a few strange things.The car is std and untuned.On startup it rus terribly and first the trac cont light comes on then the check engine light. If left running for 20 mins or so it will run sweet .It comes up with a cyl miss fire code(300) if cleared it will come straight back but not always the same cyl.When it misses the cylinder is dead but still has spark and the injector is pulsing. tested all the sensors etc. All of the sudden it will clear itself and run sweet until switched off and left overnight then same problem.Any ideas?It doesnt have dod. comp are all the same injectors fine fuel clean, pressures ok.Im thinking ecm but am curious as to whether anyone else has had this happen?
    Cheers Shane

Have you done the other basics?

• Check the MAF for oil contamination ( especially if fitted with an oil type filter ).
    • ECM reset.
    • Check all plugs
    • Check running voltages / earths
    • Disconnect any other "gauges" ( eg. Scangauge or even the V2 )
    • Check the manifold for oil contamination, it's possible it's effecting the idle quality. I've seen this much oil in a very new VE.....

• check the cats / exhaust to see if there is any damage as well.

It's certainly a strange one.

Simon .

Swapped maf with another car, swapped coil packs replaced plugs all the usual stuff the worst bit is once it runs good its perfect untill it cools and it all starts again.Will do a log in the morning but im still leaning towards faulty ecm.

Lifetime Member

Has it been tuned, or running perfectly stock ECM/intake/exhaust? How many km?

Shane, the old LS1 PCM was bullet proof, they never seem to fail by themselves, the E38 has only being around since about 2007, but so far proven to be very reliable too.
    I would keep looking elsewhere, electronics tend to show problems more when warmed up rather than cold, though that is not always the case.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

car is stock as a rock.38000km.hasnt played up for 2 days now ......
    Will see what happens tommorrow....
    Thanks for the replies Shane

could it be a dodgy 02 sensor. once the thing is up to temp its ok.Fault finding is always frustrating.
    Cheers Ian

Post some log files.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by alian View Post
    could it be a dodgy 02 sensor. once the thing is up to temp its ok.Fault finding is always frustrating.
    Cheers Ian
    I had a weird issue with my P10 when I was using my LC1 as a narrowband input, after long roadtrips and then get off the hwy when I went to stab the throttle I would get a ABS code and it would chug really badly. Went away the second I switched back to the original NB O2. So weird, the PCM must have really not like it.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Car hant played up in three days given it back to customer will see what happens.
    Thanks for the responses guys
    Shane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast