Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how vin liceanse works

Default how vin liceanse works

i have a question. if i liceanse my v2 to a truck and do not lock the pcm from anyone else getting into it, could someone else tune this truck with their v2 using the liceanse i bought for it? or would they have to buy another liceanse for the pcm?

As far as I know your truck can't be tuned without locking the ECM/PCM to YOUR V2 cable. I believe anyone else would have to buy a license, although that part I'm not sure on.
    Peace Through Torque

Punisher Performance DSP5 Tuning, PPE Dual CP3's, 68mm Fleece Cheetah, Punisher Built trans w/ Suncoast Parts, Airdog 165, SoCal 100% Overs, ARP Studs

2013 NHRDA Sportsman World Champion

www.PunisherPerformance.com

Lifetime Member

The license info is stored in YOUR v2. You will be able to tune that PCM
    forever unless someone else locks it. If you don't lock it anyone else can
    change the tune (and steal yours) with any product out there,
    EFI live, HP tuner, LS1 edit, etc...... Any changes by anyone else will
    require THEM to license THEIR tool to the PCM. i.e. VIN for EFI Live
    or credits for HP Tuner. There are no changes inside the PCM during
    the licensing process.

hope this helps.
    -Justin

but once they would liceanse the pcm to their v2, would i have to buy another liceanse to make changes with mine? thanks

OK, so this is how it works:

Each FlashScan interface has it's own completely separate licensing system. So if a ECM/TCM is licensed to one FlashScan interface that license cannot be transferred or used by another FlashScan interface.

If the next person who wanted tio tune the vehicle had a FlashScan with the appropriate Stream license then they would not need to allocate a license of their own to tune the vehicle (that's what Streams do after all).

If you lock the ECM then it cannot be tuned by anyone, or any other program, without knowing the lock code. If you're talking about a customer vehicle I personally believe that the customer must be advised that the controller is going to be locked by the tuner.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

ok, i understand now. thanks

This is one of the sticky points between efi and hpt that are confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by wpage View Post
    This is one of the sticky points between efi and hpt that are confusing.
    Which part...?

FlashScan V2 licenses a PCM or a ECM/TCM pair by remembering the controller module serial number (not vin)...

The licenses (serial numbers of the controllers) are stored in the V2... they go wherever the V2 goes.

With EFILive, a controller is licensed only when you go to flash it for the first time... you don't need a license to read the calibration file from the controller, nor to view/edit it, nor to scan/log/chart/map.

EFILive controller licenses cost $99 each, they license 1 PCM or 1 ECM/TCM pair... when you buy a V2 it already comes with 2 licenses.

EFILive workshop stream licenses allow you to flash unlimited controllers in the stream family (e.g. LS1B, E38, E67)... a stream license obviously costs more.

One more thing: with EFILive you can flash (full flash) in a different [compatible] OS, and any [available] COS without requiring any extra licenses (other than the one that you flash with), it just uses the one license wheather you're cal-only flashing or full flashing.

BTW: Have you bought yet...?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by ssgtruckperformance View Post
    but once they would liceanse the pcm to their v2, would i have to buy another liceanse to make changes with mine? thanks
    Yours is good forever so long as you don't get locked out by another tuner.

Default Not yet...

Still on the fence with efi and hpt. Thanks for clarity...

FlashScan V2 licenses a PCM or a ECM/TCM pair by remembering the controller module serial number (not vin)...

The licenses (serial numbers of the controllers) are stored in the V2... they go wherever the V2 goes.

With EFILive, a controller is licensed only when you go to flash it for the first time... you don't need a license to read the calibration file from the controller, nor to view/edit it, nor to scan/log/chart/map.

EFILive controller licenses cost $99 each, they license 1 PCM or 1 ECM/TCM pair... when you buy a V2 it already comes with 2 licenses.

EFILive workshop stream licenses allow you to flash unlimited controllers in the stream family (e.g. LS1B, E38, E67)... a stream license obviously costs more.

One more thing: with EFILive you can flash (full flash) in a different [compatible] OS, and any [available] COS without requiring any extra licenses (other than the one that you flash with), it just uses the one license wheather you're cal-only flashing or full flashing.

BTW: Have you bought yet...?

[/QUOTE]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast