Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Limp mode? with new dsp5 and tunes

Default Limp mode? with new dsp5 and tunes

I recently upgraded my 06 lbz from a bullydog powerpup hand held programmer to a dsp5 switch with 5 tunes from nick@duramaxtuner. I told him i wanted a stock tune, tow tune, smoke tune, mid hp tune, and high hp tune. He gave me all of those and they work awesome. I also told him that I had a ad150 lift pump, egr blocker, boost stick, and a suncoast stage iv kit tranny. However I don't have the suncoast installed yet so I just told him I already did thinking it wouldn't cause any problems. So he made the changes to my ecm and tcm and emailed me back the tunes. Again, everything works perfect except for one problem. At any given time, usually when the engine is cold, it seems like it goes into limp mode. However, I know its not limp mode because with limp mode it won't go over 30 mph or whatever. What happens is I will be driving on any of the 5 tunes and out of the blue it will go to shit like someone flipped a switch. It seems like anything over 1/16th throttle is no more powerful than 1/16th throttle. If I floor it from a stop, it will not come even close to breaking the tires loose and take about a full mile to get up to 70 mph. I called nick and he looked over the tunes and said they were good, so I am wondering if I am having these problems because I don't have the suncoast in yet since he tuned the tcm thinking that I did? I am lost and it is driving me insane because it is not safe to drive like this. Thanks in advance

Default power problem

hi, if i am understanding this right this happens when its in the cold mode ,how does it act when its warmed up Loren
    09 K2500 HD DMAX Z71 cc sb efi live Dsp5 tuned by me , banks ram air ,autometer gauges ,airdog 165, transgo jr ,pcv re route ,on 285's with air ride soon to come Gmax 6

Thank you for your response and yes you are correct about the cold part. It seems to do it on the first start up after the truck has been sitting for enough time to get the engine and or transmission good and cold. I cant say it has done it after starting the truck if it was already warm prior to the start. You see once it goes into this "weird mode" it will not go back to normal again unless I turn the engine off and leave it off for at least about 10 minutes then restart it and take off. It makes no sense to me. A member on diesel place suggested that it could be the spin on filter on the transmission, however I don't think thats the problem because it only started going into this "weird mode" when I installed the dsp5 and tunes. It never did it before even with the bullydog power pup. thanks again

Is the truck giving you any codes? When was the last time you changed your fuel filter? I had fuel gel on me before and it had the symptoms you describe. I changed the filter and it fixed the problem.

Default power problem

hi, i was thinking on the lines of the cold mode map in the ecm but that could be a dsp issue which may be a case of starting at square 1 again. Loren
    09 K2500 HD DMAX Z71 cc sb efi live Dsp5 tuned by me , banks ram air ,autometer gauges ,airdog 165, transgo jr ,pcv re route ,on 285's with air ride soon to come Gmax 6

No I really don't think its the fuel filter because 1. I changed it about 600 miles ago and 2. it is very unlikely that it would have gone into this "weird mode" because of the fuel filter when it worked fine with the bully dog. And It just did it to me today after the truck was warm. This is really starting to piss me off and I am stumped as to what it could be. Anymore ideas?

Why don't you try re-flashing the first tune he gave you before you told him you had a tranny kit and see ahat happens.
    2500 HD 09 Silverado LMM/CC/LB/Z71/LT1
    EFILive w/ DSP5 (Duramaxtuner.com)

So its fuel limp right, Not Trans limp?

Wont rev past 2k +/-?

or is it staying in 3rd gear?

Souns like fuel limp. are you getting a P1093, P009e code? Actually what codes are you getting? May need to shim the FPRV.
    12 Second LMM

No I told him from the beginning that I had a suncoast kit already in the tranny even though I didnt because I didn't think it would cause any problems. I'm going to try to put the stock tcm tune back on and see what happens. The truck is not throwing any codes. and I don't think it is limp mode because it will rev to redline, it just takes a really long time, even in neutral.

Great. I just uploaded the stock tcm tune and it didn't change anything. It's still going into "weird mode."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast