Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New with EFI help

Default New with EFI help

Hey guys, Im new to the EFI world. I recently sold my caned tuner and wanted to get in to the real deal tuning for my Duramax. I have a few questions.

Since i have a macbook pro, I have been told that I can run bootcamp on my mac to run the windows software so I will be able to tune my truck. My question is, what version of windows works best and the easiest to use EFI for my mac? Windows XP? Vista? or Windows 7?

Also is there any EFI tuners in North Carolina?

Any tips or suggestion for me using my mac to run windows and EFI would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Trace

Hi Trace,

Welcome to the forum...

My $0.02 says WinXP.

I use Boot Camp to boot WinXP natively on my MacBook Pro... EFILive software works fine with it (scanning, logging, DVT, flashing).

First, install Boot Camp under Mac OSX, then read the Boot Camp pdf document carefully (especially how to eject a disc after the Windows install has finished)...

Boot Camp asks you how to split your hard disk and which OS to default to on power up (can be overriden by holding down the Alt key during power up).

Welcome to the forum Trace.

+1 on XP.

Lifetime Member

I would normally agree XP, but if you can do W7 then do it! W7 is to Vista what XP is to ME (for those who remember, ME was 100x worse than Vista and had a much shorter lifespan).
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Ok, thanks guys! I really appreciate it.
    07 Chevrolet LBZ
    CCSB 4x4
    EFI Live DSP5 Duramaxtuner.com
    PPE & Aeroforce Gauges
    5" MBRP & DE Direct Pipe
    EGR Blocked & PCV Reroute
    PPE Ported Fuel Fittings
    AirDog II 165
    HD Tie Rod Sleeves
    S&B Intake

I run mine on Vista and have had no problems at all, what part of North Carolina are you in? I'm in eastern TN, just this side of the Smokies from NC, near Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge area.
    Peace Through Torque

Punisher Performance DSP5 Tuning, PPE Dual CP3's, 68mm Fleece Cheetah, Punisher Built trans w/ Suncoast Parts, Airdog 165, SoCal 100% Overs, ARP Studs

2013 NHRDA Sportsman World Champion

www.PunisherPerformance.com

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by duramax07tmd View Post
    Hey guys, Im new to the EFI world. I recently sold my caned tuner and wanted to get in to the real deal tuning for my Duramax. I have a few questions.

Since i have a macbook pro, I have been told that I can run bootcamp on my mac to run the windows software so I will be able to tune my truck. My question is, what version of windows works best and the easiest to use EFI for my mac? Windows XP? Vista? or Windows 7?

Also is there any EFI tuners in North Carolina?

Any tips or suggestion for me using my mac to run windows and EFI would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Trace
    Did you get all your question answered?
    2011 LML 3500HD CC D/A 4x4
    2006 LBZ 3500 CC D/A 4x4 Sold
    2001 LB7 2500HD D/A 4x4 Sold

Yes all of my questions are answered. The only other thing I am trying to decide on is..
    I am getting EFI soon and I am in between getting the V2 with the DSP2 or the V2 with the DSP5. The reason why I am considering the V2 with the DSP2 is because my transmission is stock and I cant think of too many tune options to run with a stock tranny.

I just wanted to get some of your opinions for tunes if I decided to go with the V2 and DSP5.

Thanks in advance!
    07 Chevrolet LBZ
    CCSB 4x4
    PPE & Aeroforce Gauges
    5" MBRP & DE Direct Pipe
    PPE Ported Fuel Fittings
    AirDog II 165
    HD Tie Rod Sleeves
    S&B Intake

Just do the 5, and down the road when you get your trans built you can add the big tunes to the "free" slots.
    2011 Chevy 2500HD LML 4x4 LTZ-Black
    -H&S Mini Maxx | MBRP 5" w/Muffler | 4" Rancho Lift | BMF REPR 20x9 DM | Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's 35/12.50's.

2012 VW Jetta TDI - Daily Driver.

SOLD - 06 LBZ

EcoDieselRam Forum

Anyone have or know where I can get a copy of Windows XP so i can use with my Macbook for EFI?
    07 Chevrolet LBZ
    CCSB 4x4
    PPE & Aeroforce Gauges
    5" MBRP & DE Direct Pipe
    PPE Ported Fuel Fittings
    AirDog II 165
    HD Tie Rod Sleeves
    S&B Intake

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast