Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E38 and Power enrichment

With FI, you may run out of MAF calibration, so it might be better to keep the VVE accurate.

When using the MAF, the only thing the VVE is used for, is to provide a "sanity check" and correction for the MAF signal. This only occurs when the engine RPM is below the "Fast Speed" threshold, above that value the ECM only uses the MAF anyway.

Basically though, if you plan to use the VVE, then dial it in.

As for the old MAF vs MAFless debate, the E38 has changed the battle field a bit.....

Hi , leaving a 1 bar sensor will work fine with the e38 (MAF tuned), you may have to raise the max threshold limit though of the map sensor to avoid codes. I have done this scenario it works well. as if the 1 bar vve is already correct it helps with low speed fueling and then all you need to do is scale the maf. If you change to 2 bar you have to change the MAP settings to 188 and -10 from memory, when I go home I will check for you, This will allow the 2 bar vve to function. It will also allow you to log boost pressure rather then reading a gauge, but remember you are tuning via the MAF table ie flow not boost, timing is also done by flow not pressure.

I would bet the engine is coming onto PE that its actually commanding PE when you want it to. The extra boost pressure is reducing the effects of fuel dynamics so it is lean on rapid throttle movement.

This can be repaired by altering the dynamics table so at the higher end of the table the multiplier is increased from 0.8 upwards to 1.5 to 2.0 since the engine is on boost when this table is maxxed out the last cell is most important.

The 2 bar vve works very well with a boosted e38 in SD, but my trap speeds in quarter mile time did not alter with the MAF on and I think the MAF gave me more flexability, responce with the MAF was awesome, the e38 responded well to it and dynamics allows awesome flexability to low and high flow fuelling.

I have logging question when running scanning and looking at logs the trace that shows up in the tuning software, on the Na and 2 bar vve it stays all the way on the left (high vacuum area) on the three bar table it moves around as normal, on the NA and 2 bar vve I cannot change from kpa to psi in display units? I must be missing something?
    Mark

Lifetime Member

I really liked the bit on IAT adjustment correction, (havn't done this on a E38 yet) well done for taking the time to put this all down for others to benefit from mate. Bloody impressed !!!
    I'm doing a brand new E2 wagon R8 next week so I'll be giving that a go.

Quote Originally Posted by GAMEOVER View Post
    Have you read Swingtan's tutorial on VVE adjustment:http://download.efilive.com/Tutorial...20Tutorial.pdf
    "Just a tune > yeah right !!!! "

Quote Originally Posted by markemac View Post
    I have logging question when running scanning and looking at logs the trace that shows up in the tuning software, on the Na and 2 bar vve it stays all the way on the left (high vacuum area) on the three bar table it moves around as normal, on the NA and 2 bar vve I cannot change from kpa to psi in display units? I must be missing something?
    Best to stick with kpa, its easy to learn and more resolution.

It shouldn't trace on the three bar table.

B8034 try 201 kpa

B2101 188

B2103 10

Tune with

B8103

once your done go back to MAF tune with a M6 its even harder to get dynamics right with boosted engine from the pressure in the manifold and port opposing pressure back to the injector and blowing fuel off the port creating lean conditions. Some tuners say its fuel pressure and it isn't its the dynamics.
    Last edited by hymey; March 6th, 2010 at 03:33 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12