Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Tuning Tutorial: WeathermanShawn

R.I.P Shawn, 1956-2011 WeathermanShawn's Avatar

Default New Tuning Tutorial: WeathermanShawn

Hello everyone:

For those of you who have followed the extensive thread "Tuning Notes by WeathermanShawn", a few comments are needed.

First, getting a Tutorial 'published' is almost as hard as passing a Health Care Bill.. (joke).

There are legitimate issues of liability and a healthy dose of skepticism. This is especially true when a concept is new. As a DYI Tuning enthusiast I took it upon myself to try a few new concepts that I felt met the need of many Closed-Loop Tuners. The response has been overwhelmingly positive, but it is always challenging to 'prove' new concepts.

Since a number of people have devoted a lot of their own time to improve this method (including myself), I feel a responsibility to at least have some further reader input.

I have attached a Preliminary Tutorial that describes a method of Calculating a VE Table that simultaneously allows for MAF and complete Trim Tuning. All in the course of one-two tuning runs. It is unique in that it can be done simply and efficiently, and incorporates EFILive's 'charge temperature' in its VE calculations which is a novel concept.

We need volunteers. This field does not advance without effort. This has been a total volunteer effort, but the burden of proof falls upon the 'originator' of the concept.

Would you guys and gals respectfully add your opinions, and constructive comments where necessary. If any experienced Tuners would volunteer to log the CALC.VE Table PID and compare it against their VE Table (preferably MAF-Closed-Loop), your efforts could help others.

Again, there is no personal or financial benefit for myself or anyone who has contributed to this tuning method. It just needs a fair shot.

Thanks..

CALC.VE. Update:
    Calculate the entire VE Table from Idle to Redline RPM in a Single Log Session:

1. Tune Both Closed-Loop and PE Mode/WOT (simultaneously)
    2. Calibrate MAF
    3. Eliminate Trims
    4. Calculate Entire VE Table Idle-Redline

Link Here for More Information:
    A-New-Twist-on-CALC.-VE-Table..Computing-the-Entire-VE-Table.
    Last edited by joecar; April 23rd, 2012 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Updated CALC.VE & CALC.VET
    2002 Black Camaro Z-28 M6 Hardtop 11.0:1CR 425HP/410TQ SAE (400TQ@3500RPM)
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband
    EFILive Closed-Loop MAF/SD Hybrid Tune..

To further Shawn's post, we just need 1 or 2 folks to go thru this tutorial top-down and offer feedback on the flow and content, namely if anything is out of order, missing, or unclear. Please post your feedback in this thread or send a PM to WeathermanShawn, JoeCar, and TAQuickness.

We want some people to try it out so to see if anything needs to be added to it (some things are not obvious to everyone equally).

First, let me say that the revised tutorial is well thought out, the flow is good, and the additional level of detailed instruction is very helpful.

In particular, the placement of the additions to the calcpids.txt file BEFORE the creation of the pid selection is helpful to the logical progression of building the the tuning protocol.

One comment:
    Could the .txt file for the calcpids be hosted in the sticky and a link included in the tutorial? This would allow a user to copy and paste them. I know it can be found in Shawn's thread, but future users will not likely be reading through it.

Quote Originally Posted by RevGTO View Post
    F...
    One comment:
    Could the .txt file for the calcpids be hosted in the sticky and a link included in the tutorial? This would allow a user to copy and paste them. I know it can be found in Shawn's thread, but future users will not likely be reading through it.
    Done.

Shawn has added the calc_pids.txt to his post above.

Last edited by joecar; March 6th, 2010 at 05:42 PM.

I am super new to tuning, so I am perfect to take a look at this. I have read it a couple of times and looks straight forward. I will give it a shot Monday. I am tuning an 08 Corvette so there will be some differences that I will note and pass along. If I am understanding this stuff right there should only be a few differences. I will let you guys know....

Should I get a serial WB connector before I try this?

A lot of the Tutorial is focused on closed-loop..so if you can successfully log LTFTS and the supporting PIDS, it will tell you a lot.

Serial connection on the wideband makes life a lot easier..but as long as you have capability to log any WOT AFR (if you choose).

Could be a few differences on a 08 Corvette, but it would be interesting to see your results.
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband

Lifetime Member

Yesterday I tried this method yesterday when retuning a friend's 00 M6 WS6 with a small cam and FAST 92mm because we installed bigger injectors. I couldn't get the Calc VE map to record values (it did record cell counts), so I threw together a new Calc VE table using the LTFT Ben pid in it's place. The MAF map worked fine. After rescaling the IFR I started from the stock VE and MAF and had them both dialed in pretty good within a short time. The LTFT's were within -1 to +5% for the most part (except for some transient areas) after maybe 5-6 logs. Maybe not a true acid test, but close. Obviously the tune needs further tweaking, but I was impressed how much time it saved when starting from scratch.

On a similar note, I modified an existing Calc pid for WOT MAF tuning based on the LM1 value and commanded AFR because I was sick of using a spreadsheet. There may be one in the existing list, but I didn't see it. Anway, it works pretty good as well.

It was smart you made that extra pid for WOT. I have thought of doing the same myself.

The only time I had problems on the Calc.VE Table values were when my displacement read zero. But, that did not sound like the problem. Its tricky since EFILive has a CALC.VE Pid also..as long as it was multiplying the LTFTBENS with the PID that had the DYNAIRTMP.DMA in it, life should be good.

I am sure Joecar will read this over. My only concern would be that you have two CALC.VE Pids that look very similar, but are different.

Sorry, DRKPHX, I am just thinking out loud. I am glad you ran through it and gave a pretty good report. Thanks for your efforts and report. We may have to make a few changes in the future to make sure that PID is an easy lookup and calculating with ease.

Thanks again.

DrkPhx, post your calc_pids.txt file.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast