Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little help on full and cal flash on DSP tune.

Lifetime Member

Default Little help on full and cal flash on DSP tune.

This question was brought up on Diesel Place forum site. When one applies a DSP tune to the ECM including all LB7 to LMM the first time it is applied one must do a full flash to write to the ECM. That is understood. But in the docs just a Cal Flash can be applied after that for any changes of the dsp tune.

So when one does a Cal flash and has changes to the base tune and the dsp tunes it will write everything correct?

Or if one made changes to the dsp table only then do you have to do a full flash or will a cal flash handle that?

Brian
    2007.5 GMT-900 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CC/LB LTZ 4x4 Summit White.
    With the LMM Duramax 365hp/660tq, MW7 Allison 1000 6-speed
    EFILive LMM DSP5 Settings, 500HP, 450HP, 400HP,Tow with Turbine Brake, and Stock HP.

UA Steamfitter, Local 136 Evansville, IN - Remember if you want to play you got to pay.

On LB7 and LLY trucks any changes made to the DSP 1-4 must be applied through a full re-flash.

On LBZ and LMM trucks all changes can be applied through a Cal only flash.
    Peace Through Torque

Punisher Performance DSP5 Tuning, PPE Dual CP3's, 68mm Fleece Cheetah, Punisher Built trans w/ Suncoast Parts, Airdog 165, SoCal 100% Overs, ARP Studs

2013 NHRDA Sportsman World Champion

www.PunisherPerformance.com

I was the Diesel Place member that posted the original question, and I can assure you that a partial flash does not take for me. Case in point, I was adding a turbo brake do one of the DSP positions and could not get it to work (ive done quite a few in the past so I know everything was correct), I decided to try the full flash and after that it worked just fine.

I did another LMM last night with the same results...

According to info in the tutorials the LLY (4.5-05 delphi) trucks only require a cal. flash to modify any part of the tune after installed. LB7 trucks require full flash anytime you modify DSP2-4

[You will need to perform a ‘Full Reflash’ of your ECM to use the newly created
    DSP operating system and calibrations. Once this completes successfully you will
    only need to do ‘Calibration’ flashing for normal tuning procedures if using an LLY
    ECM. IMPORTANT For the LB7, any time you are retuning any of the DSP
    Programs #2 - #4 you will need to perform a full flash of the ECM for the changes
    to be applied, Program #1 changes can be programmed using just a calibration
    flash.but base tune can be done with cal flash.]

that was copied straight out of the tutorials in the tuning tool, and LBZ/LMM(bosch) trucks are the same as the LLY. I haven't had any trouble with cal. flashes on any of the newer trucks. In my opinion there are a few of you who have a software issue for whatever reason that needs to be submitted to EFILive support
    Last edited by cumminsDK; March 15th, 2010 at 11:41 AM. Reason: missing info that same meant same as LLY

Ive read through the guides also, top to bottom, several times. Thats why I know I should be able to cal flash over a DSP OS... hmmm

Bump.

Can anyone confirm a Cal only does take effect to the DSP Tables on the LBZ/LMM?
    2011 Chevy 2500HD LML 4x4 LTZ-Black
    -H&S Mini Maxx | MBRP 5" w/Muffler | 4" Rancho Lift | BMF REPR 20x9 DM | Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's 35/12.50's.

2012 VW Jetta TDI - Daily Driver.

SOLD - 06 LBZ

EcoDieselRam Forum

cal only has always worked for me on LBZ/LMM's.

LB7 = Full Flash to change any DSP1-4 tables, even after the initial DSP5 conversion is done

LLY = Full flash to DSP5 OS, then Cal flash for any other changes for main tables or DSP1-4

LBZ/LMM = Full flash to DSP5, then Cal flash for any other changes to any of the tables
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

Previous post is spot on, one thing that does need a mention. We made a software change for the LBZ/LMM DSP5 so that a cal flash included the DSP tables, previous versions would not reflash that area of the ECM. So if you are running the version (or later) mentioned in the LBZ/LMM DSP tutorial you should be fine.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMC-2002-Dmax View Post
    LB7 = Full Flash to change any DSP1-4 tables, even after the initial DSP5 conversion is done
    Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Previous post is spot on, one thing that does need a mention. We made a software change for the LBZ/LMM DSP5 so that a cal flash included the DSP tables, previous versions would not reflash that area of the ECM. So if you are running the version (or later) mentioned in the LBZ/LMM DSP tutorial you should be fine.
    I have been doing Cal-only flashes on my 2003 LB7 ever since I converted it to DSP2. I have made some very distinct changes to the DSP tune, and they always works the first time, and will even read out and match exactly. I have only done 1 full flash to my truck, and 70+ Cal flashes.

Does this only apply to the DSP5 operating system? Because I was thinking of converting to DSP5, but I love my 90-second flashes!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast