Thread: Late 2007 - Early 2008 Silverado 6.0 SD Tune Question

Default Late 2007 - Early 2008 Silverado 6.0 SD Tune Question

Hey All,

I have a customer with a late 2007 Silveardo 6.0 4x4 new body style truck. Basically an early 2008 with an E38 ECM. It is supercharged.

I use HPT ( I know, shoot me now ) so that is why I ask the questions.

The first question is can you set this up as an SD tune and calculate the virtual VE with EFI Live as you can with HPT? Crazy calculations but can be done. I would imagine you can as with any other vehicle in disabling the MAF and such and then calculate the VE.

Next question, is there a COS available for the E38 2007 trucks to go to SD via EFI Live, and if so, does it swap over to a "normal" VE table?

Last question, is there a 2 or 2.5 Bar COS for this truck via EFI Live?

Perhaps some or all of these answers can not be made without having a file read and unfortunately I can not get one at this time.

My customer e-mailed EFI Live tech (??) and could not get a definitive answer.

Thanks for any help.

Mike Norris
    Last edited by Mike Norris; March 7th, 2010 at 12:43 AM.

Hi Mike,

I moved this to the E38 thread.

I'm not knowledgeable in E38 stuff, but here's a few links within the forum:
    showthread.php?t=8961
    showthread.php?t=12409

How long ago did your customer email EFILive Support...? These types of questions are best answered on the forum.

Supposedly just this past week is my understanding of when he contacted EFI Live.

According to the first thread, you can go to a standard SD tune as I thought and just have to calculate the VVE.

I would also guess on the 2.5 bar tune possibility that it would need to be read and then see what is available. I was hoping someone could say either yea or nay on this before diving in.

If anyone else can chime in it would be great. Thanks joecar

Mike Norris

Best to start with a factory tune. I would modify the 2 bar VVE table to values that will suit the engine and tune from there. But there are a heap of special tables that need to be adjusted to get everything ideal in a forced induction E38 tune.
    Oztrack
    EFILive Tuning Consultant

Worldwide Remote Tuning Service

2006 NSW Super Street Drag Racing Champion

www.oztrack.com.au

VVE allows you to do 2-bar/3-bar using the stock file, see pic...

(again, I am a noob's noob in this area)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E38-E67 VVE.png 
Views:	407 
Size:	200.1 KB 
ID:	7291  

Mike,

I would get a ZR1 MAP sensor and scarf the MAP data for starters. Most certainly start with a clean file and disable the maf. Set up a 2 BAR map in the logging software and setup a calculated pid for a correction value that can be data logged in that 2 BAR map.

Don't know what kind of chassis dyno you have but this is where a load control dyno comes into play. Force open loop fuel and adjust your stoich point to whatever the fuel is you are using. Then set you OL fuel tables to a lambda of 1.

The VVE calibrating has a few unique tables to adjust that I can't get into here but there are some tutorials that will get you in the ball park.

Howard

www.redline-motorsports.net

1-954-703-5560

2006 ZO6 895/866 with APS TT
    2010 SSRS Camaro HTR-900TT (798/801)
    2011 HTR-850R Camaro
    2012 ZL1 Auto (10.33@135 MPH) Video Here!

Thanks for the info guys, but I think my question may be getting misread or perhaps I am misunderstanding the answers.

As mentioned, this is a late 2007 6.0 truck, new body style) which uses an E38 ECM. I know with HPT I can do an SD tune and I do believe, as you guys mentioned, that you can manipulate and calculate the VVE.

My question I guess is this. Can EFI Live take any E38 ECM (Corvette, Truck, G8 and so on) and either reconfigure the VVE tables for 2.5 Bar or have a custom 2.5 Bar OS.

With HPT, there are 2.5 Bar COS available for quite a few of the E38 OS's, but not for this particular truck at this time.

I know EFI Live will support this particular truck tuning in general, but can it go above and beyond for lack of a better way of me saying it.

Hopefully this makes sense coming from an old Irish bastard :-)

Mike Norris

With EFILive you can configure the stock file for 3-bar VVE (see pic in post #5)... for any E38 or E67 file.
    Last edited by joecar; March 8th, 2010 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Added clarification (E38/E67).

Thanks joecar, so basically no COS needed. Makes sense now.

Thanks Howard for the time on the phone this morning.

Mike Norris

Lifetime Member

No COS needed at ALL with E38/E67 ECMs to run SD and/or FI up to 3Bar. Now if you want to have dual timing tables and IFR tables, then you can use EFILive's E38/E67 COS but unless you have a specific need for it the stock GM OS is very good.

Disable the MAF according to swingtan's VVE tutorial (should be on the main site and in this section of the forum) then start tuning using the 2Bar (or 3Bar) VVE table.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.