Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1968 C10 5.3L LMG no start?????

so do you think I could tune it so it doesn't require a crank request...

Lifetime Member

Got the battery charged back up and ran through the options again:

With:

• C1/J1/X1 pin 52 grounded via a resistor or relay coil +
    • VATS disable patch +
    • Type 2 VATS

= Normal start = success ?

Remove resistor/coil from pin 52 = no start.

VATS 1 setting with resistor/coil on pin 52: Fire and stop (great anti theft defeater if we could switch this via COS.)

The pin 52 relay check current is around 180uA.

Ran a 1kOhm resistor and it was AOK.

Have tested a couple different '08 OS's as well as an '09 and there are '08 OS's that start without pin 52 taken care of. Second kick anyways from ECM cold boot.

06's don't seem to be so fussy but they use C1/X1/J1 pin 67 for the crank signal.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by gmh308 View Post
    They dont use a crank request. Direct connect to starter motor from key or key/crank relay.
    And there is no connection to the crank relay pin C1 56 (or maybe C1 26...who knows what GMPP pinouts really are.)

I find it hard to believe that putting a 100ohm resistor inline to ground on a "output" circuit is going to help.. I have put a test light on that circuit to see if anything was coming out of there and nothing was coming out of there.

Trevor

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by tk-mpl View Post
    I find it hard to believe that putting a 100ohm resistor inline to ground on a "output" circuit is going to help.. I have put a test light on that circuit to see if anything was coming out of there and nothing was coming out of there.

Trevor
    The ECM diagnostics are "always" checking to see if everything like sensors, controls, relays, voltages, connected is within spec so it can raise an alarm (fault code) if it is not. I dont know about these ECM's, but there are corporate type communication systems out there that have 60% of their software code dedicated to checking up on and managing the system itself and keeping it stable, and only 40% actually doing anything that makes a difference to users.

You are correct that nothing is coming out, as it is usually 12V current limited to ~180 micro amps. This is not even enough to make most LED's say hello.

If you measure between that pin and ground with a hi impedance digital multimeter there is likely 12V there. These meters normally do not load a circuit and have at least 1Meg Ohm input resistance, maybe 20Meg ohm.

A 12V signal will switch on with enough power to run the relay when the ECM gets the crank request from the BCM. (Which it wont in this case.)

If that is the pin that P0615 monitors in your OS then you may find it likes the right amount of current trickling out of it. It may even work with the pin grounded but thats a long shot. Usually they are smart enough to know when they are shorted.

Trust that helps!

I was getting a p0615 before I deleted it... At this point I don't care if I don't understand it, I will try it anyway.. Should I turn that code back on before I groundd that circuit..

When you are doing a vats disable does it matter what the settings are at when you disable it..(G1204-G1216)

I am wondering if this is the same thing.. Most people are have problems with just no noid. I don't have either spark or noid...
    Trevor

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by tk-mpl View Post
    I was getting a p0615 before I deleted it... At this point I don't care if I don't understand it, I will try it anyway.. Should I turn that code back on before I groundd that circuit..

When you are doing a vats disable does it matter what the settings are at when you disable it..(G1204-G1216)
    Just G1201 = 2 or 3 per the help info. 2 worked here. 1 gave false starts as Ross/GMPX mentioned.

Good info!!!...
    2008 2WD Ext.Cab Silverado 1500 6.0 V-MAX E38(L76) & T42(4L70E) MAF Only CL Corvette Servo AFE CAI INNOVATIVE LM-2 WBO2

FLASHSCAN V2 & AUTOCAL

Here are the settings I ended up with, starts every time for the last year. I tried several resistor values and it didn't seem to matter as long as there was sufficient continuity. Simply grounding the wire also worked; however, I felt better mimicking the relay coil value I measured. It was the P0615 code that steered me to the relay.

Parameters Value
    {G1204} VATS Enable No
    {G1205} VATS Auto learn Enable Yes
    {G1206} VATS Required To Run No
    {G1208} VATS Fail Diagnostic Enabled
    {G1209} VATS Mode No
    {G1210} VATS Type Type 2
    {G1211} Remote Start Allowed Yes
    {G1214} Relearn Count 1.000000 Counts
    {G1215} Relearn Timer 600.000000 Seconds
    {G1216} Theft Relearn Password Yes

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast