Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 1968 C10 5.3L LMG no start?????

Did you have spark before you grounded the starter relay control circuit.

Yes, I had spark: would run if I added external fuel.

Do you have a valid Park/Neutral signal, TCM working?

I can read the TCM cause I saved the stock file.. Haven't figured out how to display trans data or codes...... Did not have a P0700 in the PCM, so there shouldn't be any trans codes..... If there is no park input it would just disable the starter though.. Should still have spark..

Trevor

Lifetime Member

Like Vegasrobbi says, the scantool shows the coils running, but no injectors on.

If you have pin 52 grounded/through a resistor but have no P/N connection, then try grounding the P/N line from pin 1 on the C1 connector. That never got in the way here and have never needed to go into detail on it but as always different OS's seem to do different stuff.

Well when I get home I guess I have a few things to try..

Vegasrobbi, I am currious as to how you wired your starter up..

Quote Originally Posted by gmh308 View Post
    Like Vegasrobbi says, the scantool shows the coils running, but no injectors on.
    I'm following along... which pids show the coils...?

Quote Originally Posted by tk-mpl View Post
    Well when I get home I guess I have a few things to try..

Vegasrobbi, I am currious as to how you wired your starter up..
    The wire coming out of the Toyota ignition switch, which is energized in the crank position, goes to an old style Chrysler starter relay (firewall mounted). The other side of the relay trigger is grounded. Power comes from a fusible link off the battery and the relay output goes to the starter solenoid.

My ECM powers up the Powertrain(PTR) relay and Fuel Pump relay(FPR), I felt it was important not to bypass those. When I turn on the key the ECM energizes the PTR and the FPR for a few seconds to build fuel pressure.

I agree with gmh308, the ECM is constantly checking systems, even before start up. In a swap like we have done the ECM needs the essential feedback's. Is your ECU controlling the FPR, PTR, is it set to variable speed fuel pump....?

My ign switch in the 68 was a direct feed to the starter solenoid, so I just used that to energize the starter relay.. I didn't use the powerrtrain relay because I used a fuse block from current perforance and it had all the feeds. I have all the power feeds and thee pcm does ground the PTR feed coming out the pcm, I don't use it but it is functioning.. I get the fuel pump prime and That is PCM controled..

Trevor

I suggest you set it up as gm308 posted earlier. Check all the power and grounds at the ECM connectors while connected and cranking (by backprobe or wire tap). Be especially sure any pins labeled as "battery" or "hot at all times" remains hot during crank. Also check all grounds at both the ECM and TCM by voltage drop method under load (cranking). Also do a voltage drop between the engine, body, frame and battery. Most early Chevy's used a resistor or resistor wire to drop voltage to the coil, do not power any circuts with it.

Crank the engine several times, then scan for codes. Scan all modules available. Record all codes wether they be P***, B***, U***, etc.

I would hope it will throw a code that will give some direction.

So I did as you guys suggested. I grounded the starter relay enable circuit and put a relay inline to ground on the powertrain relay circuit and still NO START... Still have no spark and no noid..... I have check all powers and grounds. Even pulled the starter relay and checked everything in the "crank" position and it was all there.... AAAWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try any tomarrow I guess.
    Trevor

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast