Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: E38 / E67 VATS disable guide

I don't know the exact year GM put in the Starter Relay check, but G1220 controls this, setting it to 'not used' will allow the engine to run with no starter relay load (resistor) on the ECM.....

G1220
    Defines the type of starter relay fitted to the engine.
    ** WARNING ** DO NOT ALTER THIS SETTING ON A FACTORY VEHICLE, only change this setting for engine conversions.
    And certainly NEVER set it to "Not Used" on a factory car, that setting should only be used on engine conversions when the starter relay is not controlled by the ECM.

Only the following values may be entered into this table:
    - Apply to Ground
    - Apply to 12V
    - Not Used

Then

G1210
    Selects the Anti Theft System used on the vehicle.
    There is no defined VATS disable in this ECM, to disable VATS you must select either Type 2 or Type 3 from this list and apply the VATS patch to the operating system.

See Also: {B9903} "Disable VATS Patch"

Only the following values may be entered into this table:
    - Type 1
    - Type 2
    - Type 3

And finally

B9903
    Apply software update to disable the Vehicle Anti-Theft System.
    After applying this patch you must perform a 'Full Flash' of the ECM.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by nmarkiw View Post
    I too am having the run for 2 seconds problem on a remote customer vehicle. 2011 Suburban 5.3L/6L80 swap into LandRover. Speartech harness, 12639835 OS, 12639900 cal.
    12639835.calz calibration file v7.59. Has this been programmed out or do we still need to install the resistor?
    Turned out to be a problem with the MAF. Unplugged it and it idles fine. I have done one more since then without issues. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkR8 View Post
    I have a question for the masses....

Installed a replacement ECU, couldn't get tech 2 to connect but flashed full OS and tune with EFILive and fit to native car that requires vats.
    Can turn vats off and start etc but can't perform a relearn? I have tried with V7.5 and through DVT. Car is Holden commodore VE and ECU is E38 and I can only seem to replace ECUs if vats is disabled or unless relearn is done with tech 2 with sps approval.

While I realise the ECU needs to be programmed with tech 2 first, Will EFILive relearn or relink vats if the correct OS and tune is already on the ECU i.e 2nd hand replacement ECU sourced from wreck which is identical?
    There isn't much info to guide you when you attempt to do a relearn/relink, what key cycles etc are required if any and is there a confirmation supposed to let you know if the relearn succeeded?

Hopefully others need to know this, perhaps anyone who has worked on mail order tunes will have an answer. I suspect vats off is the only answer without tech 2 but want to confirm.

Thanks,

Mark
    Did you ever get it relinked?

If the ECM is brand new never been in a car then the link will work, if it has come out of another car then I don't know the procedure to un-marry it so it will re-link in another car. I suspect there must be a unique password for each ECM as TIS approval requires the entry of the unique number that is assigned to each car. You could try to adjust the relearn timer and counter, that is what that is there for so an ECM can self learn in 30mins without TIS approval (once initialised by the relink request).
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

thanks Ross, I think I may have misinterpreted how the self learn works. Just to confirm

1) Initialise Relink using the scan tool (with key on, engine off)
    2) perform key on, wait, key off as per the relearn timer and counter cals.
    3) key off, then start (should be linked now)

Quote Originally Posted by kangsta View Post
    Did you ever get it relinked?
    Yes, I have since been able to do it with EFILive and also through Tech 2.
    If you follow the process to re link it woes work

thanks mate. which process are you referring to? I've seen a few floating around.

Do you know if it matters if the ECM is locked?
    Last edited by kangsta; May 26th, 2015 at 11:54 AM. Reason: more detail

Quote Originally Posted by kangsta View Post
    thanks Ross, I think I may have misinterpreted how the self learn works. Just to confirm

1) Initialise Relink using the scan tool (with key on, engine off)
    2) perform key on, wait, key off as per the relearn timer and counter cals.
    3) key off, then start (should be linked now)
    Yes correct, that is pretty much what GM service spells out as the procedure. You have the timer (set to 10mins stock) then the number of timer countdowns that must be done (set to 3 stock), so 3 x 10 = 30min relearn with key off after each 10min timer ends.

If the ECM is locked then it won't work as the initiate process must first unlock the ECM.

I did it as described by Ross.
    If the ECU is locked I think you would best reinstall the calibration with tech 2 and then link it either way but while you have tech 2 connected you may as well do it that way

I have been trying to disable Vats on a 2012 OS12654239
    I have done the VATS patch and the full reflash, there are many different suggestions on settings and I have tried everything I could come up with. I have also tried the starter relay resistor and a dummy relay.
    It still starts and runs for 2 seconds or so and dies
    Could someone look at this and tell me how to disable the VATS on this OS

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast