Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: E38 / E67 VATS disable guide

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow05C6 View Post
    My operator error....more info would be helpful. You say you swapped an older factory ECM for a newer ECM. The file you attached is for a 58 tooth ECM is a CTS-V. What "older" ECM used a 58 tooth wheel? Can you provide the old file? Your file has CAN and ABS comms enabled. Are you sure the newer ECM uses the same protocol for those links? Or have you disabled them? Try setting 1208 to Enabled and 1210 to Type 2. You must have the V2 connected to the computer that has the new file on it before actually opening the new file. Use the right most full flash red arrow. A good practice is after the full flash, download the ECM and compare what you think you modified to what is actually in the ECM. Be sure to try 3 non-starts before starting.
    I swapped out all the older 24x and 1x components for the 58x and 4x components. So i have everything including the sensors that match up with the newer system.

I tried all combinations, and even tried to use Hptuners with no avail. I am going to have to wait for the 06 I/P harness which has the ECM and BCM communicating properly, afterwards the ECM should unlock its self and allow me to start the engine.

I know how to perform a full flash, i did it more than a few times, with my Patch upgrades...
    American Muscle, European Design, Japanese Tactics

Well you are over my head now. What you are doing is interesting and may become necessary for others in the future. Please post what you learn. What I'm observing is that these wonderful ECMs that enable great performance and allow engines to live 200K miles plus are becoming a key failure item. As newer cars become more CAN networked; we will come to the day that a valuable car will become yard art for lack of some computer. Not every ECM can be repaired because often repair components are out of production. That cycle will only increase in tempo as technology moves forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow05C6 View Post
    What I'm observing is that these wonderful ECMs that enable great performance and allow engines to live 200K miles plus are becoming a key failure item.
    Since when??? Modern ECU's are incredibly reliable...at least GM's ECU's of the past ~15 years are generally very reliable. I cant speak for other manufacturers. Really the only time you see GM ECM failures are during botched reflashes. Hardware failures in normal operation are incredibly rare.

Key failure item? Please. The fact that LS1, E38, E67, T42, etc controllers can all be picked up for $100 or less at any junk yard should say something about their reliability and availability. If they were so "failure prone" like you state, they would certainly go for a helluva lot more than $100 on the used market. Not to mention the fact that GM generally uses the same controller across many vehicles, so its not like supply is going to dry up. Think about how many millions of LS1 PCM's there are out there, considering they were used in a dozen or so different vehicles over a production span of ~8 years.......

If something breaks on any late model GM engine, 10000 to 1 its a hard part or sensor failure...not the ECM itself.

Honestly, the only somewhat "rare" (IE most expensive/hardest to track down) late model GM ECM I can think of is the E60 LLY Duramax...because they only made that engine for a year and a half. Luckily they are reliable and dont fail often. Other than that, most GM ECM's/TCM's are plentiful and cheap.
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

I'm just saying.... I agree the later model ECMs are generally very reliable and were made in the millions. Sensors are even more common, often even across OEMs. So a sensor failure is far less likely to turn a car into yard art. Thus the ECM can be a key failure. Have you tried to find a ECM for a 92-93 Vette or Camaro? Granted they were not flash programmable. And they are old. But those cars still have too much value to become yard art because of one electronic component. What about the 1-2 year only E40? The number of those ECMs available is dropping. Yes the LS1+ ECMs were made in the millions. But I've seen driver failures in late model ECMs that were not related to a bad reflash. It would not be possible for the ECM remanufacturing industry to thrive unless ECMs are failing every day. I'm just saying it is not unreasonable to predict the future based on the past.

I hear of injector output failures on E38's but it is usually caused by low impedance injectors being fitted and hoping they will work.
    I think down the track we are more likely to see the Direct Injection ECM's failing with the high voltage and high currents they run.

Sadly for the ECM's like the E40 and E38 they are not repairable in many instances because they use custom output drivers and power supply circuits in 'flip chip' packages rendering any repairs impossible.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Sorry, I did not mean to stir up a controversy. I only wanted to encourage Nav to tell us how he fixes his problem. I agree the high voltages of DI will tax ECM components. That said I had an E40 fail because it lost CAN comms. I’ve seen two 411 injector drivers go bad just driving stock injectors. ECMs become unrepairable because as technology evolves, OEMs switch to faster, more powerful stuff. Component manufactures stop making the old stuff because demand falls off a cliff.
    Mechanical things fail linearly because with every revolution, temp cycle, load cycle, etc. some finite wear happens. Not so with electronics, Google “electronics bathtub curve”. Electronics have high infant mortality; that is why your big flat screen TV came with a 90 day warrantee, so you pay the power bill to burn it in. Then electronics enters a second phase of near zero failures for a long period of time. So the extended warrantee is for when the TV is least likely to fail. At some point there is always a knee in the failure curve. Sometimes the new failure rate is gentle and sometimes it is dramatic; but it will always happen and it will always be accelerating with time. Electronics fail because of temperature, humidly, shock, and vibration. But other variables play like how clean was the clean room. A speck of dandruff can dramatically affect the life of electronics. Electronics can even fail just sitting on a salvage yard shelf. Just because these ECMs seem bullet proof now does not mean there is no knee. It is inevitable that these ECMs will begin to fail. The only question is when and how dramatic.

If you have the ECM removed from its original vehicle (e.g. on engine dyno), then remember to do the Remove VATS patch (connect FSV2 to laptop, open tunetool, look for red folder at end of engine section, enable the Remove VATS patch, do a full flash).

If you don't do this, engine does not start, you notice it gets no more fuel after the start of cranking... log the pid GM.VTD and you'll see it indicates fuel is disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    If you have the ECM removed from its original vehicle (e.g. on engine dyno), then remember to do the Remove VATS patch (connect FSV2 to laptop, open tunetool, look for red folder at end of engine section, enable the Remove VATS patch, do a full flash).

If you don't do this, engine does not start, you notice it gets no more fuel after the start of cranking... log the pid GM.VTD and you'll see it indicates fuel is disabled.
    I have done the VATS removal with EFILive and HPTuners several times, and none of these devices unlocked my ECM, i am swappin out my transplanted harness for the original and will try and relink the BCM to the PCM. During which time i will send my ECM to a friends shop to have the VATS disabled again and verified that it works before spending eight hrs swappin the try it out again.
    American Muscle, European Design, Japanese Tactics

We also had to set the VATS parameters as follows:

Code:
    {G1204} VATS Enable                 No    
    {G1205} VATS Auto learn Enable      Yes    
    {G1206} VATS Required To Run        No    
    {G1208} VATS Fail Diagnostic        Disabled    
    {G1209} VATS Mode                   No    
    {G1210} VATS Type                   Type 3    
    {G1211} Remote Start Allowed        Yes    
    {G1214} Relearn Count               1.000000   Counts
    {G1215} Relearn Timer               1.000000   Seconds
    {G1216} Theft Relearn Password      Yes

Where do I get hold of the VATS patch for an E38? I've seen plenty of detail on threads of how to apply, but where can I load the file?

Nick.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast