Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calc VE Setup

Default Calc VE Setup

First off, I'd like to thank Shawn and the supporting cast for putting together a nice tutorial. I've been reading and following along while trying to set up this method of tuning on a 2004 Z06.

Well, today is the day. The car is warmed up and on the dyno. I connect everything and my WBO2 BEN Multiplier isn't working. It doesn't like my
    CALC.AFR.Dyno PID.

I'm using the WBO2 from the dyno. Supposedly it's made by Autronic. There has been a 0 to 5V drop spliced into it for datalogging purposes. I made a rookie attempt at creating a Calc PID for it. I would prefer to run a serial cable from the WBO2 to the V2 but I don't know if it's supported.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Go easy on me!

-Brad
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by DPS; March 27th, 2010 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Updated attachments

After further review I did find a problem with the CALC.AFR.Dyno PID. That has been rectified and the previously attached calc_pids file has been updated.

However, the CALC.AFR.BEN PID still doesn't like it.

Here is what it's telling me under "More Info"-

Expression:
    factor = {GM.AFR}/{CALC.AFR.Dyno}
    is NOT valid because:
    Unknown parameter {CALC.AFR.Dyno}, at position 25.

PID value cannot be determined because
    the following error would occur:
    Expression not valid: Unknown parameter {CALC.AFR.Dyno}, at position 25.

I have connected to the vehicle and validated the PIDs with the same results. I feel like I'm really close. I'm itching to try this out!

-Brad

It appears that the BEN Wideband Multiplier that I've been fooling around with isn't really necessary for this tuning method. I was just trying to mimmick Shawn's PID list (the screenshot) in the tutorial.

Am I right in assuming that the WBO2 feedback is merely for reference?

-Brad

P.S. Perhaps I should rename this thread "Brad Thinking Out Loud"
    Last edited by DPS; March 27th, 2010 at 08:44 AM.

R.I.P Shawn, 1956-2011 WeathermanShawn's Avatar

Hey Brad:

No the CALC.BEN1 is not necessary to compute the CALC.VE_Table. It is primarily selected as a PID to help you when you get to the non-stoich part of the Tune (PE and WOT). There the BEN can help you..remember PE Mode and WOT require a wideband to accurately tune. There are no LTFTBENS to compute in PE Mode..(it will use the last FTC for its LTFTBEN).

If you trust your narrowbands you can do the stoich portion of the VE Table. You just need to have every factor that is in the CALC.VE Table equation being logged.

Sorry, its hard to document every tuning challenge. Hope you got it figured out now, and can go do some CALC.VE Table logging!!!
    2002 Black Camaro Z-28 M6 Hardtop 11.0:1CR 425HP/410TQ SAE (400TQ@3500RPM)
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband
    EFILive Closed-Loop MAF/SD Hybrid Tune..

Thanks Shawn.

I will be doing the PE/WOT tuning as well utilizing a WBO2. I suppose getting that BEN working is a must. Do you have any thoughts as to why I'm having problems with it?

-Brad

R.I.P Shawn, 1956-2011 WeathermanShawn's Avatar

Brad:

The AFRBEN is not mandatory. Just depends on how good you are with math in your head. 1% of 12.7 is .127 off Commanded AFR..4% is .508 off.

I use the prepackaged Calculated PID for the LS1 (EXT.WO2AFR1/GM AFR). Note this may not be as accurate as using the EQ, and Mr. Prick's AFRBEN method.

But, to answer your question. You don't really need the BEN, but you need to know the percent that actual AFR vs Commanded is. I guess that is the technical definition of a BEN. A lot of times, I just do it in my head..and adjust the corresponding MAF Freq. accordingly.

Hope that all makes sense. Let us know how it goes, or if you have further questions.
    Last edited by WeathermanShawn; March 27th, 2010 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Clarification..
    2002 Black Camaro Z-28 M6 Hardtop 11.0:1CR 425HP/410TQ SAE (400TQ@3500RPM)
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband
    EFILive Closed-Loop MAF/SD Hybrid Tune..

Hi Brad,

Try the attached calc_pids.txt.

A pid name has the form: originator.name.units

where:
    originator is SAE, GM, CALC,
    name is the pid's short name,
    units it the pids units.

So I replaced the second . with _ and it seems to work (I also deleted AFR-ext units as you can just use AFR units).

Edit: instead of using the attached calc_pids.txt, follow the link in the next post and use that one.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by joecar; July 15th, 2010 at 06:36 PM.

We also have new VE equations: showpost.php?p=117351&postcount=131

Joecar....you rock. I managed to get things working to the point where I was ready to do some logging. Excitement building........then my dyno controller crapped out on me. I guess it wasn't meant to happen today.

Thanks again for all the help guys. This forum is great!

-Brad

Hey Brad, take your time, we'll still be here...

make sure your dyno AFR pid works right (in CL it should be right on the commanded AFR).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast