Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Calc VE Setup

Is the dyno's WB programable? Would be a good idea for your to force a value thru the WB and make sure it reads correctly on the scan tool. There is a good chance for ground offsets that will skew your data. Make sure the WB works and is accurate before you attemp PE/WOT tuning.

Brad,

TAQuickness has a good point.

Also: does your dyno support emitting the AFR/Lambda via RS232 serial interface...?

Which dyno do you have...?

It's a Dyno Dynamics 450DS. It has the Autronic (relabeled as Dyno Dynamics) HSAFR unit. It does have a serial output that currently has the 0 to 5V analog signal tied into it.

If it's helpful at all, this used to be Howard's dyno @ Redline Motorsports and he created the analog drop.

Ideally it would be nice to split the RS232 and have one go to the dyno and one to the V2. Is this possible? Even if it couldn't be split, I'd be more than happy to move the serial cable back and forth. I'm guessing Howard would have done that if it were possible.

-Brad

Is it able to write the AFR or Lambda to the RS232 serial port (i.e. in digital/text form)...?

If it can, then maybe FlashScan V2 can be made to read it using a serial cable (i.e. without using analog voltages).

Do you have a manual for the dyno, see if it allows you to configure/emit the AFR or Lambda via the serial port.

It must have the ability since that is how AFR is reported to the dyno. It just so happens that I asked Dyno Dynamics for the HSAFR2 documentation the other day. I haven't seen it yet though.

I'll look into it some more. This would be sweet!

"It is not serial data capable" were the words from the horses mouth. I must not fully understand the RS232 cable from the WBO2 to the dyno then. Must be just because it uses a serial cable it doesn't mean it's carrying serial data? I'll look at it closer this evening.

If you had to choose between the 0 to 5V analog method for $0 or the serial method for much more than $0, which way would you go? I find it silly to need 2 dedicated WBO2s in this situation. The dyno WBO2 becomes almost obselete unless a customer wants AFR on their printout.

-Brad

Here's the Autronic manual :

http://www.mrm-racing.se/bag/analyzer.pdf

This should help.

Chris

Thanks Chris. I was directed to that same location by someone on another forum. I think I have it working well enough now that I feel I have decent data for WOT/PE tuning. Which leads me to my next question..... but first, a little background.

A friend was nice enough to give me his '04 ZO6 to help me get my head around the capabilities of this sofware as well as the dyno I recently purchased.

The extent of the mods are....... a 180 thermostat

We all now how rich these cars run from the factory. I thought a nice beginners step would be to target 12.7 AFR throughout PE.

It isn't obvious to me how to do this without performing "PE Rape" (B3618). I considered doing AutoVE (OLSD) but the car has the IAT tied in with the MAF and I don't want to screw with it.

I've also considered adjusting the MAF Freq using a Wideband BEN. The BEN is defined as WBO2 AFR / GMAFR. It seems to me that if the Commanded AFR matches my WBO2 it shouldn't really change anything in the MAF table.

Am I making this harder than it needs to be? This whole excercise was intended for me to gain an understanding on the right way to do it and how it all works. I attended EFI101 and Advanced back in '04 so it's been a long time.

-Brad

You don't need to unplug the MAF for SD if failed properly.
    512k RoadRunner Firmware 12.14R
    FlashScan V2 Bootblock V2.07.04 Firmware V2.07.22 EFILive V7.5.7 (Build 191) V8.2.1 (Build 181)
    LC-1 WBO2

R.I.P Shawn, 1956-2011 WeathermanShawn's Avatar

Brad, there are numerous options available to tune a car.

One of the reasons I embarked on the 'CALC. VE Table' method of tuning was to make things easier. For those tuners/enthusiasts that intend to stay closed-loop and choose to work with the factory MAF, it is designed to tune the MAF, VE Table, and Trims, simultaneously and accurately. ...usually in the course of 1-3 solid tuning runs.

If one decides that a need exists to command a different AFR at various RPMS and MAPS, then closed-loop is not the way to go. Then AUTOVE and open-loop is the way to go. As Mr. Prick said, you can fail the MAF easily through the tuning software. No need to unplug, etc.

As far as utilizing the PE Table (commanding AFR) that is a perfectly appropriate method. Ordinarily the ability to match your Commanded AFR vs Actual AFR (wideband) is through manipulating B5001 to match frequencies vs actual airflow (g/s). If you stay closed-loop, my personal preference is of course found in the CALC.VE Tutorial.

If you decide to go that route, myself or Joecar (along with others) can help. Joecar has had good success on a nearly stock platform. Several of us have had success on H/C vehicles.

Let us know. Good luck either way..
    2002 Black Camaro Z-28 M6 Hardtop 11.0:1CR 425HP/410TQ SAE (400TQ@3500RPM)
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband
    EFILive Closed-Loop MAF/SD Hybrid Tune..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast