Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: EFILive V7.3.0 Released

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
    I have many logs from the error log, but when I click on them it appears to be nothing in them and all that happens is that EFI live opens.
    If you have the *.blx files, please send them to me at paul@efilive.com.
    Those files are in the folder: \My Documents\EFILive\V7\Bug reports.

If you have a successful read of a *.tun file, please send that as well.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Thanks Paul.

All .blx files sent

Fyi

Paul responded with things to check. Wait4me helped too with suggestions.

The problem appears to be my Toshiba laptop as both Paul and Wait4me suggested. The Toshiba is a Satelite A45 130 model, just one year old. It has 4 USB 2.0 ports. I also have a USB pcm card. I tried to make a connection to read the PCM using each of the four ports as well as both ports on the PCM card. With each connection and test, the reply was that the bootloader wouldn't install.

As a final test I installed v7 on one of my stand-alone pcs, set it up along side the car, hooked up the cable and made a read the first time.

So folks, its looks like it's either the Toshiba hardware or bad drivers.

Anyone have a similar circumstance with a Toshiba and what the fix is?

The Toshiba is still on warranty, but not sure if I will get a response or a fix if I explain I am trying to connect to a car pcm. Everything else USB works on the laptop...even external hardrives. Since apparently everything else works, I don't think they will honor the warranty with a fix if there is one.

Any thoughts anyone? I essentially have a laptop that I can't use to tune with.

BTW, the USB ports work with the scanning tool and I am able to flash the pcm with LSEdit...however that is through the serial cable hooked into the USB port on the Toshiba.

So what is it about the flash scan cable that won't work? Yet the LSEDit cable through the same USB port will read or write to the PCM.

Have you completely removed and re-installed the FlashScan USB drivers?

To do that:
    1. Connect FlashScan to your laptop
    2. Select Start, and then right click on "My Computer" and select Proeprties.
    3. Select Hardware->Device Manager
    4. Expand the section "Uinversal Serial bus Controllers"
    5. Locate the FlashScan entry, right click it and select "Uninstall".
    6. Close all the windows you just opened.

7. Unplug FlashScan.
    8. Select Start->Control Panel->Add or Remove Programs.
    9. Find FTDI FTD2XX USB Drivers and click [Add/Remove]
    10. Select [Continue]

Once that is complete (a few seconds), reconnect FlashScan, you should be presented with the "New Hardware Installation Wizard". Insert the EFILive Installation CD and follow the on-screen prompts. Make the hardware wizard search the CD for the drivers.

Hint: Do not allow the hardware wizard to search the Internet for drivers. In fact, it is recommended that you disconnect from the internet while installing the FlashScan drivers. Some versions of Windows will install the wrong drivers from the internet if you are connected.

Regards
    Paul

Also, check the USB/FlashScan connection as per this post:
    http://efilive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18455#18455

Regards
    Paul

Default Followup

To answer some questions.
    I have reinstalled EFI live with latest software.
    I have XP home with SP2.
    I am using the correct cable...I have LSEdit, EFIlive 6 and Flashscan V7.
    Each has its own cable.
    I don't have any external devices hooked to the laptop.
    WIFI is turned off.
    The laptop is booting from the harddrive. If doesn't have USB boot capability.
    I haven't been able to find any patches or firmware from my laptop on the Toshiba site and have downloaded all of updates when prompted by Toshiba.

Now the for the unexplained.
    As I stated in previous post I hooked up a standalone pc (XP Prof on it) and was able to make several reads.

Out of curiosity I hooked up my laptop after making several successful reads with the workstation. Bingo, I was able to make a successful read (but never had been able to in the past with the laptop (I had made at least 30 attempts)).

As a further test, I tried to read from two other USB ports on the laptop(it has 4...all 2.0). One was successful, but the other still hung at 50 seconds.

Can someone explain why I couldn't make any reads with at least 30 attempts with the laptop, but was succesful on the first attempt, but only after I had made successful reads with a stand-alone workstation? What happened to the pcm from the workstation....is there some unknown bug where there must be at least one successful read sometimes?

I tried again this morning after flashing an LSEDit file to the pcm. As soon as the flash completed, I started the car, test drove it and returned. Hooked the laptop to it and was able to make a successful read, and repeated the reads using the laptop at least 3 times this am...but I didnt' test the one port that had failed before (btw all four ports failed in all previous attempts...even with a pcm USB card).

Since we know that three of the four ports are now making good connections without error, what are my chances of attempting to flash with EFI live rather than LSEDit? And what happens if I lose the connection at midway?

The only difference in conditions is the temp was much lower in the garage, and I pulled the ebrake one click to kill the headlights while making the read.

I will upgrade to XP pro from XP home (a google search stated USB drivers can get corrupted with Home XP upgrades sometimes).

Paul from EFIlive suggested I reinstall the USB drivers again. I did, but was after I had been able to make successful reads with both the workstation and the laptop. I missed reading his replay to me until after I had made a successful read with both the workstation and laptop.

Any ideas why all of a sudden I can make reads now...and what about attempting to flash?
    Last edited by dlandsvZ28; December 9th, 2005 at 06:49 PM.

That all sounds just a little too intermittent for my liking.

I would like to replace your FlashScan interface and cables with new ones before you attempt any reflashes, just in case there is a real fault in the cable.

Can you please email me your current FlashScan serial number, preferred shipping address, email address and phone number.

Regards
    Paul

Thanks

Sent email with info.

Paul

Cables arrived via UPS on Wednesday and picked up at UPS Thursday. Thanks for the quick service. Wow...fast delivery to Kansas from New Zealand.

But won't be able to try the cables until around Christmas. I'm in KC and car is stored in another in Wichita and won't travel there until xmas.

Hope this takes care of the issue. Will let you know as I know. It will be nice to finally tune with EFIlive. Have been waiting since Jan of last year when I purchased (I have a 98 ) .

Thanks again.

Glad the package arrived promptly. The US is not that far from NZ - just past Hawaii and a bit further south And just as nice IMHO.

I will be waiting (with interest) to see if that solves the problem.
    Regards
    Paul

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast