Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tuning w/o AutoVE

Default Tuning w/o AutoVE

I'm interested in knowing how you would tune your car if you're only using a WB02 for WOT tuning on a dyno. I've logged my data and created several different MAPs in scan tool (LTFT's, KR). Would you still use your average LTFT's to adjust the VE table or would you tune using the MAF table instead? I've got a C.A.I. system I recently installed and my new LTFT's are much higher (positive) than they were before. I know AutoVE tuning is the way to go (eventually I'll get there) but for now, I need some help doing it the 'old way'. Would someone be willing to help step me through the process? I know I need to get the LTFT's down to zero or negative but am not sure how to go about it. I would really appreciate some help.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Step 1. Do the AutoVE tuning thing with the MAF (temporarily) removed (or disabled) to get your VE table correct. Once the VE table is accurate...
    Step 2. Replace the MAF and recalibrate the MAF based on the (now accurate) VE table.

(this is all off the top of my head, it may contain a few "stupid moments", and I may go back and correct it later, but you should get the idea of what to do).

To do step 2...
    You need to create a MAF map similar to the VE BEN factor map. It will log a calculated PID (based on the error between measured airflow and predicted airflow) against MAF Hz (rows) and RPM (one column only with label "Value")

Hint, when creating a scan tool map, "copy with labels" the entire MAF calibration from the tuning tool. Then use the scan tool MAP property editor to [Paste labels] for the rows. That will automatically paste in the MAF row labels. Saves typing them all in.

The calculated airflow error PID is similar to the BEN PIDs, except where the BEN PIDs use AFR, this one will use airflow.

i.e. airflow error = (measured air)/(predicted air)
    which is really {GM.CYLAIR_DMA}/{GM.DYNCYLAIR_DMA}

Then once you have the error map logged in the scan tool, "copy with labels" the entire table and then select the first row of the MAF calibration and "past and multiply with labels".

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Default Re: Tuning w/o AutoVE

Quote Originally Posted by VetPet
    I'm interested in knowing how you would tune your car if you're only using a WB02 for WOT tuning on a dyno. I've logged my data and created several different MAPs in scan tool (LTFT's, KR). Would you still use your average LTFT's to adjust the VE table or would you tune using the MAF table instead? I've got a C.A.I. system I recently installed and my new LTFT's are much higher (positive) than they were before. I know AutoVE tuning is the way to go (eventually I'll get there) but for now, I need some help doing it the 'old way'. Would someone be willing to help step me through the process? I know I need to get the LTFT's down to zero or negative but am not sure how to go about it. I would really appreciate some help.

If I understand, the only mod you have is a CAI? Just multiply the MAF table by the % that the trims are positive. Guess at an average that the trims are positive. Repeat the process till you have the trims from 0 to -7 or so.
    2003 red vert
    Mods:
    LS7 crate engine, wet sump, 24xx reluctor
    LPE 100mm MAF
    Vararam, cold air intake and bridge
    RPM Level 6/4L60e trans
    3.42 gears
    Yank SS3600
    1-7/8" AR headers
    Z06 exhaust
    470rwhp 437rwtq
    1/8th mi-1.526-60'-6.862-1/8th-@100.74mph

These are the mods that I have.

1. Hurricane C.A.I. system
    2. LT headers, random tech cats, X-pipe, Z06 cat back.
    3. LS6 Ported heads
    4. Comp Cams 212/218

The C.A.I. has really made a change to my LTFT#'s when I compare them to my pre C.A.I. install. Is there anything I should change in my tuning method?

Thanks Guys

These are the mods that I have.

1. Hurricane C.A.I. system
    2. LT headers, random tech cats, X-pipe, Z06 cat back.
    3. LS6 Ported heads
    4. Comp Cams 212/218

The C.A.I. has really made a change to my LTFT#'s when I compare them to my pre C.A.I. install. Is there anything I should change in my tuning method?

Thanks Guys
    If your not tuning VE's and the car starts and runs well, just do the MAF as above, and get the ltrims close.
    It's the way it was done for years. If you run the MAF it will run like it's supposed to.
    2003 red vert
    Mods:
    LPE 100mm MAF
    RPM Level 6/4L60e trans
    3.42 gears
    Yank SS3600
    1-7/8" AR headers
    Z06 exhaust
    470rwhp 437rwtq

Thanks for the help guys. If I use the MAF table to tune, would I just take an average of the LTFT's by adding them all up and dividing by the number of cells or should you weigh each of the cell values by multiplying the cell value by the number of counts first, adding up the total cell values and then divide by the total number of cell counts for the entire table? Will this get you a more accurate average to multiple the MAF table by? If the average LTFT turns out to be 10% you would then multiply the grams/sec column values by 110%, am I correct? Also, would your average LTFT value be a blend of both banks 1 & 2 for this exercise? So many questions.

Thanks for the help guys. If I use the MAF table to tune, would I just take an average of the LTFT's by adding them all up and dividing by the number of cells or should you weigh each of the cell values by multiplying the cell value by the number of counts first, adding up the total cell values and then divide by the total number of cell counts for the entire table? Will this get you a more accurate average to multiple the MAF table by? If the average LTFT turns out to be 10% you would then multiply the grams/sec column values by 110%, am I correct? Also, would your average LTFT value be a blend of both banks 1 & 2 for this exercise? So many questions.

My preference is to wing it. Your trims will change based on weather driving up hill and down, etc. You will probably find certain cells are more/less neg. or pos. than the rest. Get them in range and don't worry. It will not make a difference.
    2003 red vert
    Mods:
    LPE 100mm MAF
    RPM Level 6/4L60e trans
    3.42 gears
    Yank SS3600
    1-7/8" AR headers
    Z06 exhaust
    470rwhp 437rwtq

O.K. then. So in order to properly tune the VE table, you have to use SD mode to collect data, otherwise use the LTFT's to make adjustments to the MAF table. You shouldn't use any LTFT data to adjust the VE table, especially if not logged in SD mode. Why is there such a concern about touching the MAF table, or even the IFR table for tuning? VE tuning seems to be where it's at right now but I've seem a lot of comments against tuning that way. Enquiring minds would like to know.

8)

O.K. then. So in order to properly tune the VE table, you have to use SD mode to collect data, otherwise use the LTFT's to make adjustments to the MAF table. You shouldn't use any LTFT data to adjust the VE table, especially if not logged in SD mode. Why is there such a concern about touching the MAF table, or even the IFR table for tuning? VE tuning seems to be where it's at right now but I've seem a lot of comments against tuning that way. Enquiring minds would like to know.

8)
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Suggest you go here. There is a lot of info and answers.
    2003 red vert
    Mods:
    LPE 100mm MAF
    RPM Level 6/4L60e trans
    3.42 gears
    Yank SS3600
    1-7/8" AR headers
    Z06 exhaust
    470rwhp 437rwtq