Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LBZ-Overboost and vane indexing

Lifetime Member

Holy cow, I guess I was right on the cause of your smoke, huh? I just noticed your pulse width at 55 mm3 of fuel. That's equivalent to 90 mm3 on the stock pulse width table!

Quote Originally Posted by vortecfcar View Post
    The turbine/vane setup is a lot tighter on the newer trucks ('06 and up).
    X2 I have seen boost in the mid 20s with the vanes at 0
    06 GMC 2500 CCSB SLT LBZ 4X4

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish, and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.

Lifetime Member

I wish i had an LLY exhaust housing. The danville turbos are all built using the LLY housing to flow more exhaust than the LBZ or even worse the LMM turbo.
    '07 TBSS, LS2, T42, 3SS, Black on Black on Black, Pretty much stock at the moment. EFILive will fix that

'06 LBZ/Allison 6speed, EC, LB, 1LT, Leather
    Current Mods: EFI Live/ PTO High Idle Mod/ Factory Exhaust Brake / BD Full Bore/ TransGo Jr./ TTS Twin Lift Pumps/ MBRP 4" turbo back/ Custom air box mod/ BullyDog Outlook Monitor

465hp/1008tq---7/25/09---Dyno Day Fast Specialties Tuning by ME

I am wondering if anyone has tried using an LBZ turbo on an LLY. I have no real explanation why, but the LBZ is looser and just seems to want to make boost. The MAF numbers seem to support this also.
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

Has anyone tried actually increasing min vane table, to determine if the lowest values are actually more boost producing than say, 15 degrees?
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by killerbee View Post
    I am wondering if anyone has tried using an LBZ turbo on an LLY. I have no real explanation why, but the LBZ is looser and just seems to want to make boost. The MAF numbers seem to support this also.
    I would think that it would be an upgrade for the LBZ's to use the LLY turbo because the exhaust housing is bigger and flows more that the LBZ, which can make it more efficient in the higher RPM and higher boost numbers. I've considered swapping mine out.

Has anyone tried actually increasing min vane table, to determine if the lowest values are actually more boost producing than say, 15 degrees?
    I've played with mine but it's so difficult to do because you would have to do it in a DSP tune, because the DVT's don't work like they are supposed to. So i gave up on it. but i did do a little experimenting and found that are cruise range changing the vanes from 0% all the way to 30% did nothing as far as boost is concerned. And thats as far as i got when i gave up.
    '07 TBSS, LS2, T42, 3SS, Black on Black on Black, Pretty much stock at the moment. EFILive will fix that

'06 LBZ/Allison 6speed, EC, LB, 1LT, Leather
    Current Mods: EFI Live/ PTO High Idle Mod/ Factory Exhaust Brake / BD Full Bore/ TransGo Jr./ TTS Twin Lift Pumps/ MBRP 4" turbo back/ Custom air box mod/ BullyDog Outlook Monitor

465hp/1008tq---7/25/09---Dyno Day Fast Specialties Tuning by ME

It's been done a couple of years ago. IIRC it didn't make any difference really. LBZ looser?? Think you've got it backwards...

"looser". Not loser.
    Custom Tuning Services

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12