Thread: vortec 4.3

Default vortec 4.3

hey guys new to the thread had a couple of questions....a good friend of mine is swapping a 2000 vortec 4.3 into an early model (early 80's) and just wants it to run and thats it!!!! No security, no pass lock, no egr or nothing like that. Just as basic as you can get. What do i need to turn of or delete to do this??? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Is he running the electronic transmission too? Or does this project have a manual transmission? Are you opposed to changing the PCM to an earlier version or later? The answers to these questions will get you more questions but will let us know how to tell you what to do.
    Al
    "Trash that carb and get Injected!"

yea 4l60e for the tranny would rather stay with the pcm we have if possible....

Can anybody help me out with this?? We were trying to keep this as simple as possible if we changed the pcm we would have to get another harness and do a lot of pin out work!!! Its kinda a budget swap if possible so just wanted to get rid of all the bs...sorry for the dumb questions guys im a dmax man not a gasser...haha

Lifetime Member

First is it a black box PCM or a LS1 silver box? If its a blackbox then you'll want to swap to a LS1 one. No need to get a different harness, just repin the black box harness for the LS1 PCM and full flash whatever tune you want in (probably a car 12212156 OS) and turn off VATS, EGR, etc.

So let us know what PCM the harness currently has (hopefully its a silver LS1-style and just simply read the tune and turn the codes off). If its a black box PCM, member Lextech graciously gives out the PCM pinouts for converting the black boxes to LS1 PCMs.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

its a vortec 4.3 so i think it just has a black box stlye pcm...hes not trying to hot rof this thing he just wants it to run!!! so just whatever i need to do that theres not gonna be any custom tuning on this as far as performance

Lifetime Member

Its probably a black box then.

I have 1 Vortec Black Box file (attached) from my friends 99 Blazer 4.3L V6 and it has 1 Anti-Theft param and 1 AIR Injection param. So you should be able to disable the anti-theft and the AIR stuff using the black box PCM! If he doesnt care about getting it tuned, this is going to be the easiest and quickest way. Look under System->Theft and System->Air Injection.

When you get the swap done, read the file out and post it up here. I can make the basic changes for you, if they dont work then maybe have a tuner adjust params not available in EFILive (and get it tuned at the same time if you have to do this).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Default pcm ?

please explain why I would want to change pcm from the black box 4plug to the silver ls1 style w2 plugs
    this swap is nothing more than getting rid of a old tired and noisy ass 2.5duke in a
    s10 for this simple drop in 4.3....
    now all i see is pcm problems I need some info. this was not discussed else where when I went for this swap need some input
    thanks
    donor 2000 s15 jimmy with the body tore off 4.3/4l60e runs like a champ
    just no top.( kinda sucks when it rains) going into a 88s 2.5/700r4 d.o.t. style
    any help and advise
    thanks
    Last edited by jstawrench; April 11th, 2010 at 12:08 AM.

Lifetime Member

There are no PCM problems with the Black PCM. The LS PCM is just a better unit and has more tuning aids available for it.
    (Sidenote) Jstawrench--You sent me a message, but you are not setup to receive PMs. Go to your user control panel and set yourself up for PMs. I need some info from you to send you the wiring file you asked for.

Jeff
    98 GMC RCSB 2WD, Internally stock 305 w/Twin T-3 junkyard Turbos,4L80e,Ramjet intake,42lb.inj., 0411PCM, COS3,4675LBS w/me in it. Best Time on 5 passes-13.01@110