Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing the VIN Number

Default Changing the VIN Number

I have a PCM with the incorrect VIN Number to my car. I have read i can change this. Can anyone point me in the right direction??

Lifetime Member

No problem, open up the V7.5 Scan tool and click the green button on the upper left hand side. Select the controller your car uses and then press ok. Now go Bidirectional->Change VIN. Enter the VIN you want and press ok. Should be good to go, I believe you have to turn the ignition off for 15 seconds after a VIN write just like a normal flash.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

What effect does the vin have on the software version? I.E if im running an 04 ECU from on a 99 Car? will i get an incompatability???

No not at all, EFILive doesn't use the VIN for any licensing details for starters.
    The scantool will negotiate with the ECU what PID's are supported so again the year shown in the VIN doesn't matter.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    No not at all, EFILive doesn't use the VIN for any licensing details for starters.
    The scantool will negotiate with the ECU what PID's are supported so again the year shown in the VIN doesn't matter.

Can this also be used to change the vin number in a radio from another automobile? I have a radio from a wrecked 2001 Sunfire and need to put it into another Sunfire, but the radio has the vin from the wrecked Sunfire stored in its eeprom and goes into a lock mode.

Glenn

No.
    512k RoadRunner Firmware 12.14R
    FlashScan V2 Bootblock V2.07.04 Firmware V2.07.22 EFILive V7.5.7 (Build 191) V8.2.1 (Build 181)
    LC-1 WBO2

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by thomasthigpen@att.net View Post
    Can this also be used to change the vin number in a radio from another automobile? I have a radio from a wrecked 2001 Sunfire and need to put it into another Sunfire, but the radio has the vin from the wrecked Sunfire stored in its eeprom and goes into a lock mode.

Glenn
    As mr.prick said, EFILive cannot do this. You have to take it to a dealer and have them use a Tech II to reprogram the radio.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    I hear i might produce and invalid pair??? Does that make sense?? Im on a steep learning curve at the moment....

As to the scantool. You say is works out which pids. don't you have to tell the scantool what pids your car has to start with fo it to check?

Quote Originally Posted by Behold View Post
    I hear i might produce and invalid pair??? Does that make sense?? Im on a steep learning curve at the moment....

As to the scantool. You say is works out which pids. don't you have to tell the scantool what pids your car has to start with fo it to check?
    You can select whatever PIDS you like. But the software will perform a sanity check once comms is established to validate if you can log those PIDS or not.

All, I am new to this forum as of today. I have a 2009 Sierra 2500HD CCSB LMM. I have acquired a downer PCM from an 08 LMM, Bosche P#12628593, same as my stock 2009 in-use PCM. Can I use EFILIVE V7.5 to read the downer imbedded content (after installing in my truck but not starting), and change the VIN in the downer to match my truck without needing an EFILive license for the downer PCM? Also if I simply power on the truck but don't start the truck will the downer PCM populate any harm to my other modules, TCM, BCM, etc.?
    A simple yes or know answer is adequate, unless there are gotcha's or caveats I need to know!
    TIA for your assistance.
    Last edited by NCRay; January 8th, 2016 at 09:16 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast