Thread: '01 Reading flash causes no-start condition

Default '01 Reading flash causes no-start condition

Got a customer with an '01 duramax, went to read the calibration out of the ECM, initialized to step 2, then mesage "not ready waiting 1 second..." repeatedly. initialized to step 4 then I get a bootloader rejected error after the message that the ECM has "re-armed" after which the truck will not start. Acts like the VATS is active. the truck does start after either removing all the ECM and IGN related fuses or disconnecting the batteries for a period of time.

Customer states that he belives this is due to an ECM update done at the dealership in which they "fried" a certain chip within the ECM to make it non-programmable...I don't buy that. Anyone have any suggestions? I've never had a reading flash cause a no start condition before...

Quote Originally Posted by mike_s View Post
    Customer states that he belives this is due to an ECM update done at the dealership in which they "fried" a certain chip within the ECM to make it non-programmable...I don't buy that. Anyone have any suggestions? I've never had a reading flash cause a no start condition before...
    Actually that is true, there has been a problem with GM's programming system and the early LB7's where after they update the ECM it corrupts it.
    Usually this would result in you not being able to read the ECM at all, it would say it is locked. Maybe this odd no start is tied in with what happened at the dealers, seems odd though.
    The no start condition should not happen on just a read as nothing in the ECM is altered. Just try pulling the battery leads for 30 seconds if it happens again.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Good to know! Thanks Ross, guess we'll be looking for him a new ECM...anyone got a line on a source for inexpensive ECM's?

Quote Originally Posted by mike_s View Post
    Good to know! Thanks Ross, guess we'll be looking for him a new ECM...anyone got a line on a source for inexpensive ECM's?
    http://socaldiesel.com/2EFILive.htm

Scroll down to the bottom...
    2007 CC/SB 4WD, McRat EFI Live, Trans, Trans Cooler and C3 clutch oiling mod by Mike L., SD Sleeves, SoCal Diesel

2002 CC/DRW 2WD, McRat EFI Live, Trans, Trans Cooler and C3 clutch oiling mod by Mike L., SoCal Diesel