Thread: 2007 Tahoe 5.3, Steps to take?

Default 2007 Tahoe 5.3, Steps to take?

Noob here,

looking for some general gains in a 2007 tahoe 5.3, i've heard reports of 30-40 hp with basic tunes.

I'm pretty handy and would prefer to retain as much control as possible, so my question is, if I buy the V2 scanner, do people here help with tunes/analysis (not sure if this is allowed since efilive sells tunes also).

Is 30-40 hp reasonable from tuning only (would prefer to not do intake/exhaust because i'm old and been there done that and actually perfer a nice silent drive, lol).

Thanks!

Lifetime Member

30-40hp is optimistic from just a tune, maybe 20-30hp. EFILive does NOT sell tunes, they provide the hardware and software to build you own. If you dont want to learn how to do everything yourself, then EFILive probably isnt for you. Contact a tuner that uses EFILive and they will set you up with a good tune.

We can help you with a tune, but most people here are DIY for fun tuners (like me) but there are a few who do this professionally. Just dont expect to post a log file and have someone make a tune for you, if only it were that easy...
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Actually i would PREFER to do everything myself! I am handy enough to modify basic computer code (everything from C/C++, machine level, java script, php, etc), but just need direction...

So yeah, if there are resources to get a basic start then this sounds like my product (as a technical guy i am mostly in knowing "safe" ranges of parameters so I dont really mess something up, like shift points)

Lifetime Member

Good to know, its not really like coding though. Thats all been done for you, really what you need to know is basic engine operation and EFI basics!

You got it, make small changes, then flash and log the results. You can get a good street tune following the AutoVE tutorial and the Virtual VE Tutorials included in the EFILive software download (which is free, grab it off the efilive.com homepage). Are you a NBS Tahoe or classic? If you're a NBS then you need a V2, classic can still be tuned by a V1 (Id recommend a V2 regardless though).

If you have a NBS then you will have the newer E38 ECM and T42 TCM controllers. This means you do not have an actual VE table like the regular LS1 PCM does, this is why the VVE tutorial is critical to understand. There should be an E38 ECM file included in the software download, open it up and take a look around.

A wideband is a must for this, I would highly recommend getting one with a serial output so you dont have to mess with ground offsets and flaky readings.

For resources, start reading the forum and getting an understanding how the E38 or LS1 controllers work. Be prepared to spend lots of time learning, Ive spent 4 years tuning my 02 TrailBlazer and still dont have it perfect. The SS will be easier when I have time as the controller is easier to work with.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.