Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6th getting locked out at high speed!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy 6th getting locked out at high speed!

At 130+mph (210+km/h), ~3600rpm, 6th is locked out in all shift modes preventing any high speed cruising. It will downshift 6>5 at 130mph regardles of throttle postion (pedal/actual) or load.

Nothing in the E38/T43 tunes makes any difference. I've tried changing all the relavent tables/settings, including blocking 5th over 100mph in all modes!

Anyone else had this problem?
    Anyone tried 6th over 130mph/210km/h?
    Is there another else I can try to maintain 6th over 130?
    Is this another BCM controlled parameter (like original speed limiter)?

I have been trying to get the Middle East settings/cals (ME speed limiter at 205mph), but can't get HoldenCrazy.com any more!

I don't get on the Autobahns as often as I'd like, but this really spoils the experience!

I have a '07 HSV GTS - trans details:

VIN 6G1EX55U57L87****
    PCM flash 2Mb
    Operating System 24239353
    Calibration 24239647
    OS ID AA
    BCC 9647
    Cal file name 24239353.calz
    Cal file version 7.06
    Cal file date 28 April, 2009
    Operating System 24239353 $92368B30
    Transmission Calibration 92201909 $C1426AA2
    Transmission Diagnostics 92201910 $94E4F133
    System 92201911 $49D10FAC

Engine cal details (near stock again):
    VIN 6G1EX55U57L87****
    Engine Gen-IV V8
    Transmission 6L80E Auto
    PCM flash 2Mb
    Operating System 12612381
    Calibration 12612380
    BCC YPRZ

From what I can understand, HPT has the abiliity to over come this.

Also, T43 "Hot Shift Speeds" {D1005} and {D1006} headings wrong way round!!!!!!

Any help grately appreciated.

Hi trailermasher,

Welcome to the forum...

Can you post your .tun file.

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm new to tuning, as well as EFILive. I have been playing around with the TCM tune for the last 5 months or so, but still can't get it to stay in 6th above 130! Response from 5th at these speeds is good, but it's a bugger on fuel when trying to cruise for 100+miles.

Currently using this one:

GTS_HSV_upgrade_TCM_orig_0006.tun

It's a work in progress!

I don't know if anyone else has tried to use 6th over 130mph, there's not many opportunities!

Thanks,

trailermasher.

I race the 6l80e in a Can-Am "like" car. Last year I was at Miller Motorsports Park for NASA championships. This was the first track I was able to use 6th gear. I use manual (Sport Mode) shifting exclusively. I had no problem selecting and holding any gear I wanted. There are certainly enough parameters to adjust you should be able to make it work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by A6sportsracer View Post
    I race the 6l80e in a Can-Am "like" car. Last year I was at Miller Motorsports Park for NASA championships. This was the first track I was able to use 6th gear. I use manual (Sport Mode) shifting exclusively. I had no problem selecting and holding any gear I wanted. There are certainly enough parameters to adjust you should be able to make it work for you.
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

There is no setting within the T43 tables that prevents the downshift from 6th at 130. The options available should allow any gear to be held for any rpm/speed. This makes me think it is probably being controlled by another module, maybe body control module, like the speed limiter is.

There is an option in the T38 and other engine controllers to change the limiter control from the BCM to the ECM. I think the T43 options may need something similar to get around the problem.

Have you made the manual shifts quicker for racing use?

The stock HSV maunal shift speed is very slow (~1s) and needs serious forethought when on a track, especially when changing down 2 or three gears as the display shows the gear you want, not the gear in use. I ended up mostly using 3rd and 4th at the Nurburgring and relying on the torque to power out of corners. It was very wet though! I have speeded up the auto shifts but haven't had much change on the manual shifts.

What engine/power you running through the 6L80E?
    Have you had to strengthen the 'box for racing or is the vehicle so light weight that it doesn't matter?

I am sorry to say I am not familiar with automatic operation. Everything I do is to prevent any un-inteded shifting while in manual mode. And I have not had any problems holding 6th in manual mode.

I have shortened the shift times, not sure how far I should go with those. Does any one have any limits in mind?

I am currently running a stock LS2 in a 2000 lb car. I lock the torque converter in 2nd. gear and keep it locked during the shifts. Trying to make this thing behave like a manual as much as possible.

The gear box is stock and so far it has stood up for a year of hard racing, about 14 weekends.

A 2000lb car with ~400 flywheel minimum... mmmmm.....nice!!!

It take it you run the box as close to a sequential as you can get?

I can only lock the TCC in 3rd up (normal mode) or 4th up (sport) but have set it to lock up below 60% throttle in 2nd and in 3rd up in manual mode. It can be a bit harsh on the road at times. Also set with 200 rpm slip.

I have it locked for all upshifts but not for power downshifts.

Good to hear about no gearbox problems, but I'm sure the light car weight helps.

Had hoped someone who knows the R8/G8, GTS or Senator to offer some ideas by now!?!
    I'm sure it's BCM controlled, like the speed limiter, but still can't find a way around it.

The Chevy Middle East version has the speed limiter set to 205mph from the factory, so should be able to use 6th above 130?
    Might have to try and get a ME BCM flash?

Be easier if EFILive could include a controller selection, to reduce the BCM's influence over the TCM and ECM!

Why doesn't EFILive have any access to the BCM?

Would the BCM module have to be swapped out or can it be programmed to suit?

It would be good to have some access to the display combinations, door lock options, oil warning light level/sensitivity, approach lights, etc...

Although there are some options in the dash menus they are not very good!

Someone out there must have the answers!!!!

AARRRRRGGGGHGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trailermasher View Post
    Be easier if EFILive could include a controller selection, to reduce the BCM's influence over the TCM and ECM!
    Why doesn't EFILive have any access to the BCM?
    Its just not something that we have had any need to develop. Unfortunately it is not something we are planning to develop any time soon.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Hello Trailermasher,

My 08 Calais will go into 6th in active select and hold it all the way to the limiter. It downchanges in sports mode but that is to be expected

I will post a file when I after I purchase EFILive.

All testing undertaken on PRIVATE roads

try this trans tune.i modified the one you posted
    should change from 5th to 6th at 215 kms(135mph)
    check the in the history dated may 10th to see what i change before you upload it.
    if you are happy with it give a go
    don't know if will work but might be worth a try.
    other users out there download and have a look and post your comments as i,m no 6 speed auto expert
    Attached Files Attached Files
    330 rwkw EFILIVE OS 01290005 SD Cam / Head Tuned 6 speed VY SS Commodore
    10/71 Blown 572 Big Block Chev HQ 2 Door Monaro

GM Performance Centre
    Busselton WA
    AUSTRALIA
    Phone: 0447 003050

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast