Thread: Couple questions about Flashscan reading the PCM

Default Couple questions about Flashscan reading the PCM

Hi,

First, my car is a 2004 Corvette Coupe.

I went out to the garage to read my PCM and save the currently tuned version, then flash my stock LS1Edit file back, then use Flashscan to read that image to get a stock file in FlashScan format.

When reading the PCM should the car be in a loop of Service Vehicle Soon messages and Reduced Engine Power messages?

With LS1Edit it would set the couple codes at the end that I would have to reset, but not loop through those messages while reading, and sounding the beeping sound.

Also, for a 2004 1Meg file, what kind of read time should I be seeing? I am using a Pentium 4 2.6Ghz Dell Inspiron 8500 notebook. It took me about 10.5 minutes.

Thanks alot.

-Tony

Tony,

I also had Reduced Engine Power message and chims going off, but not until the end after it completed reading my PCM.

PCM read time was approx. 3.5mins. I have the same CPU as you in my laptop.

Don't know if this helps....
    \'04 Z16 Corvette, AFR 205 heads, Comp 228/232 114+4 LSA custom cam, HS Rockers, Kooks 1 7/8\' headers, 3\" X-pipe, stock Ti tail section. \'98 Corvette Pace Car, \'04 Chevy Avalanche Z71 4X4.

3.5mins is about right for an error free read of a 2004 PCM.
    Just under 30sec for a reflash.

Halfmoon's car was taking about 10mins which means the process was probably interrupted at some point and the read process dropped down to 1x mode (Low speed read).
    In the next update we have decided to change how these errors are handled, Flashscan will atttempt to stay in High Speed Mode alot longer before dropping down to Low Speed Mode. This may really help reduce the time taken even with the process being interrupted.

The SVS warnings etc will be caused by all other modules being silenced on the bus whilst the PCM is being read (or programmed).
    Once you key off after read/write things should be fine.
    Of interest, did it take about 30secs to reprogram?.

Cheers,
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX
    The SVS warnings etc will be caused by all other modules being silenced on the bus whilst the PCM is being read (or programmed).

Cheers,
    Ross
    Actually, I didn't re-program it yet, I was concerned with all the looping of the error messages and wanted to make sure before I commit to a write of the flash.

I'm going to try another read to see if I still get in that loop... then do the write.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by halfmoon
    Quote Originally Posted by GMPX

Cheers,
    Ross
    Actually, I didn't re-program it yet, I was concerned with all the looping of the error messages and wanted to make sure before I commit to a write of the flash.

I'm going to try another read to see if I still get in that loop... then do the write.
    Try the [Test] button before you try the write. It will do exactly the same thing as the write. It will even expect you to license the PCM to the FlashScan cable so don't go testing on cars you don't want to actually tune. It will simulate a calibration reflash except for actually altering anything in the PCM. The PCM will be instructed by FlashSCan to discard all data that it receives and not to write it into Flash memory. It will give you an idea of what to expect when you do go ahead and do the write. If it fails or you stop it, then no harm done.

Paul

Paul, justed wanted to let you know I'm running flashscan on a old laptop for kicks. Pent 333mhz 256mb ram. Read the computer in 2min and i have no problems as of yet :lol: . I might not have to break out the new one.

Gotta say V6 was a good product v7 is a damm good product. I like the portabilty to log files and load them on the home computer. Also im able to adjust various things on the tuner, save it on a disk and go load with the laptop. This just keeps getting better and better.

Keep up the good work guys!!!!!!!!!!!

It was wellllllllllllll worth the waitttttttttttt

Quote Originally Posted by 87gmc

Keep up the good work guys!!!!!!!!!!!

It was wellllllllllllll worth the waitttttttttttt

I second that!