Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gen3 LS1 ecu

Default Gen3 LS1 ecu

I'm having problems communicating with this ecu. It allows me to read it one time then any subsequent attempts result in a no comm message. I'm using a V2 that's up to date and I have not had this problem with any other operating system that I have used. I have checked the car harness and connections carefully and even have the problem using my bench harness. It seems like if I let it sit overnight then it will communicate one time. This may just be coincidental. Any ideas?? The car runs fine and I can view live data through the V2 when it is running.

Hi jbehe,

What vehicle year/model...?

Are you trying to scan/log (scantool), read/flash (tunetool), BBR/BBF (V2)...?

Your tunetool is at build 114...?
    Your V2 has firmware 2.6.34...?

Can you copy the console text that appears when you connect, and paste it here in this thread.

Cheers,
    joe

It's a 98 vintage out of an ASA stock car. I'm using V7.5.6 build 112 and my V2 is firmware 2.05.17. Like I said, I had no problem reading it, once. Then several hours later flashed in the new cal. In between it does not respond. I'll try and get you a screen shot if I'm able. It detects the interface but can't autodetect the pcm. It goes through the 10 attempts to check status then it says status unknown and the message comes up saying lost communication and check connections and see if key is on.
    Last edited by jbehe; April 29th, 2010 at 08:27 AM. Reason: error

One other thing I just noticed when I looked at the file. The first time it was read there was no vin number. The read today there is a vin. The OS number is 19980100.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jbehe View Post
    my V2 is firmware 2.05.17.
    That is a very, very old firmware version. I highly recommend updating the boot block to V2.06.03 and the firmware to V2.06.34 which is the latest available with the V8 software download here:
    http://www.efilive.com/index.php?opt...=48&Itemid=133

After installing the V8 software, read the document that can be found here: Start->All Programs->EFILive->V8->Documents->Upgrading Firmware. That document describes how to upgrade the boot block and firmware on your V2 device.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Lifetime Member

I didnt think the V2 would work with a new software version, I tried logging with 7.5.5 build ~84-86 and fw .32, wouldnt let me do it.

Definitely upgrade your bootblock and firmware, thats really really old firmware. Also, 97/98 LS1s do not have a true OS number, I believe EFILive generates one based on the VIN at read time.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

That seemed to fix the problem. Thanks for all your help.

One more thing. I must have missed something. When I hook up the V2 and go to select pids to use it as a scanner it says"options txt not found".

Using the S&T software, go into Black Box Settings (where you select pids and create pidlists) and program it to your V2 (i.e. press Program button).

V2 has to be connected to PC via USB cable before staring the S&T software.

Did that and keep getting error code $0194:write failure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast