Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lingenfelter TRG-001 58x to 24x Conversion Module

I've never read the install manual for this thing, but mounting it in the engine bay should be a last option unless it's well clear of the motor.
    I think Holden were lucky the LS1 PCM was made bullet proof considering where they mounted it. Though they didn't learn, look at the first Alloytec with the little Bosch ECM mounted on the head, are they stupid or what? And yes, they fail all the time 'just' 5 years down the track.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

"...look, the head is cold to the touch, let's mount it here..."

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    "...look, the head is cold to the touch, let's mount it here..."
    LOL! Yes. And the engine is very smooth now.....it wont shake at all!

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GAMEOVER View Post
    That's not good!
    Yeah, I'm trying to get an idea of what to expect, I mean, nothing's perfect...
    For the price that Lingenfelter sell's them, it sure beats changing out crank/cam reluctor wheel's.
    Decided not to go near them until after they had done a summer in 105F+ ambient heat. Some didnt even get to summer. 0.700 sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    I've never read the install manual for this thing, but mounting it in the engine bay should be a last option unless it's well clear of the motor.
    I think Holden were lucky the LS1 PCM was made bullet proof considering where they mounted it. Though they didn't learn, look at the first Alloytec with the little Bosch ECM mounted on the head, are they stupid or what? And yes, they fail all the time 'just' 5 years down the track.
    standard wiring harness on the converter limits it to sitting near the rear of the engine im afraid.

thus why a few us lengthened the wiring harness.

Mine played up almost instantly on a 30 degree day sitting in bumper to bumper traffic, probably due to the long headers and supercharger.

The good thign about the kit is it gives you all the wiring details so if you need to lengthen the wiring it's easy to do.

unit sitting on passenger floor

I ran the wiring for the Crank Sensor through some braided 3/9 line to protect from heat.

All wiring was soldered, then heat shrinked.

Lifetime Member

Stupid or maybe Bosch was a little overconfident or naive on their understanding of what "heat" really is.

When the original VB Commodore pilot cars built in Germany by Opel came to Australia for initial testing as part of the V car program they literally fell apart on local roads and conditions. The struts punched through the strut towers without much effort.

Cool temps and nice smooth roads in Europe dont add up to much when they come down under.
    Last edited by gmh308; May 3rd, 2010 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Speeling..........

Ah yes, I remember one of my old bosses had a Series3 Jag, what a POS that was, but I always found it amusing that he could not run the A/C above ambient temps of about 30 because it would always overheat, if by some miracle it didn't overheat the A/C was so useless in Aussie temps you didn't bother anyway.
    But being a Jag fanatic to him this was acceptable because they weren't designed for Australian conditions.

I have a friend who works at Logicar, he told me those VZ Alloytec ECM's are failing like you wouldn't believe these days, imagine what they will be like in another 5 years time.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Ah yes, I remember one of my old bosses had a Series3 Jag, what a POS that was, but I always found it amusing that he could not run the A/C above ambient temps of about 30 because it would always overheat, if by some miracle it didn't overheat the A/C was so useless in Aussie temps you didn't bother anyway.
    But being a Jag fanatic to him this was acceptable because they weren't designed for Australian conditions.

I have a friend who works at Logicar, he told me those VZ Alloytec ECM's are failing like you wouldn't believe these days, imagine what they will be like in another 5 years time.

Cheers,
    Ross
    LOL yes. And thats if the Jag was even running from stories I have heard. Went to school with someone whose father kept it secret that it was in the shop once every two weeks.

VZ Alloytec ECM? Is that a Bosch brick to be?

Quote Originally Posted by gmh308 View Post
    LOL yes. And thats if the Jag was even running from stories I have heard. Went to school with someone whose father kept it secret that it was in the shop once every two weeks.
    You know Jaguar has part numbers for the oil leaks too.
    I used to remind him the only thing that didn't fail on that car was the GM transmission they used.

Quote Originally Posted by gmh308 View Post
    VZ Alloytec ECM? Is that a Bosch brick to be?
    Yes it is. On the VE they changed back to a full size ECM that was not mounted on the engine....ah hello?? Pretty sure a lot of V6 Cadillac's, SAAB's were using that ECM around that same era.

The issues Lingenfelter were having was half related back to heat. As the units got hot they put extra load on the power feed they were recieving from the crank outputs on the PCM. This inturn overloaded the circuit and the PCM went into shutdown protection mode. So it is not the module that has failed but the fact the PCM is in shutdown mode.

To over come this Lingenfelter has redesigned their new units to have a seperate power and earth wire now and this is how they are shipping now (along with some extra heat sheilding on the crank wires near exhaust).

Reason why i say it is only half the problem(Heat) is that i have seen them from brand new on first start up have issues and once we bypassed this issue (used an alternate power source) all was good..

hope this clears up the rumours...

We have been using them since first release and have had a few come back. I will say this that Lingenfelter stand 110% behind their products and any of the modules (Previous release to the version 2 units) they will fully warrant with a replacement Version 2 unit. It certainley beats removing cam/crank to fit the correct wheels when all you want to do is drop the engine in and go.
    Last edited by doubledip; May 15th, 2010 at 10:52 AM.
    ---------------------------
    E38's got to love them
    E40's hate 'em

LS1's is there anything it wont work on

Holden VE SSV - GEN46L

www.ultimateconversionwiring.com.au

www.dualflash.com.au

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast